Everyone with a roof rack

lyslexic

Everyone with a roof rack.

How do you remember that the bike is on the roof before driving into a basement??

Also, which is a better bike rack option between

Holdfast Top Runner Pro 2  (Holds 2 Bikes)

Thule Pro Ride 598

I convinced myself on the Holdfast, then saw some bad reviews on the holdfast FB page so now i'm not sure anymore.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

589 is good, as far as the basement goes, I make sure to follow height restrictions even if there's no bike on the rack, and make sure you only use burger kind drive thru.

I have three thule pro ride 598 on my thule roof racks works like a bomb don't skimp with cheaper roofracks for expensive bikes, they work great with road and mtb bike and easy to put on and take off.

Hang something on your steering wheel or rear view mirror when bikes on the roof of car as a reminder. I also angle up the left side mirror to keep an eye on the bike.

I have the Thule system.  The newer pro rides are fantastic as the clamp right around the frame so there is no chance of the bike falling out (had this happen once in a very strong cross wind).  They are also designed for fatter tyres.

I am neurotic with my baby on the roof so have no issue remembering.

Also, the 598 has the torque setting to accommodate carbon frames and prevents you from over tightening.

How do you remember that the bike is on the roof before driving into a basement??

Also, which is a better bike rack option between

Holdfast Top Runner Pro 2  (Holds 2 Bikes)

Thule Pro Ride 598

I convinced myself on the Holdfast, then saw some bad reviews on the holdfast FB page so now i'm not sure anymore.

I was gifted with a brain. Same way I don't touch hot stove plates, or stick my finger into plugs. ;)

I've had 2 Thule Pro Ride carriers for over 10 years, and they are still solid! I've replaced one or two bits, but nothing major.

Before I close the garage I put my bike stand in the middle of the garage, just in case!

Thule FTW, especially the Pro Ride 598. The clamp on the older pro ride was a bit iffy and the newer one accommodates fat down tubes better. The only drawback of roof mounted carriers is fuel consumption. Other than that, they are so much easier and more secure than a rear mounted option. Bikes stay clean on dirt roads too.

I didn't.  :unsure:

Thankfully the steel bike survived unscathed but the Thule's plastic bits were destroyed by the bike being ripped off and my car dented.

My own negligence aside, the Thule roof mounts are top quality.

there's like a million ways to remind yourself, going from a simple card hanging on your rearview mirror, to APPs on your phone to actual sensors that stay on your bike and ping when you get near your garage.

one of my friends puts his garage remote in a box when he has bikes on - "can't find the remote, oh wait that's because i have bikes on the roof."

BUT, for all these reasons, i choose to use a towbar rack - because if i didn't i would eventually end up with this

Roof-rack-bicycle-accident.jpg

I am sure both systems you mentioned should be fine, but make sure you check with your insurance before you purchase any system. Don't want to have a claim rejected because the system you use does not comply with the insurer's policy. I am with CycleSure, and they are quite particular in what you have to use. 

Good idea re bike stand. Will use that idea when I put a roof rack on my car. 

I am sure both systems you mentioned should be fine, but make sure you check with your insurance before you purchase any system. Don't want to have a claim rejected because the system you use does not comply with the insurer's policy. I am with CycleSure, and they are quite particular in what you have to use. 

Good idea re bike stand. Will use that idea when I put a roof rack on my car. 

Bike isn't insured so that's not an issue. 

Thanks everyone. Decided to go with the Thule.

Also going to leave the basement remote in the boot as a way of remembering.

Heres something interesting, I emailed Holdfast and asked for a supplier in CT. I called the one they recommended to be today and they were trying to sell me a Thule!   :whistling:

I was gifted with a brain. Same way I don't touch hot stove plates, or stick my finger into plugs. ;)

I've had 2 Thule Pro Ride carriers for over 10 years, and they are still solid! I've replaced one or two bits, but nothing major.

this the same brain that conveniently forgets how painful 24hour races are after 10 or so months?

this the same brain that conveniently forgets how painful 24hour races are after 10 or so months?

That's because I leave my brain at home when I go and do those stupid events. I'm literally a jellyfish on a bike for 24 hours (you'll know this if you've ever tried to have a conversation with me during a 24hr - Paris Hilton sounds like a rocket scientist compared to me!)

And I wish it was 10 months - I literally entered 361 a month after the last one, and the itch for "one last" 24hr has been motivating me a couple of months already!

The real miracle here is that I haven't driven into the garage with the bikes on the roof after a 24hr! Yet.

Have 2 Thule racks on my car. Had one mishap but did not cause major damage.

Now hang a side plate from a bicycle chain dangling from my visor, just above my eye-line which is flipped inside the sun-visor overlay when not needed. Work for me.

Constant reminder and could work in line with sticking the remote in a box as you need reminding when you arrive at remote destinations too.