Why ever does This Happen

cyclingronaldo

I hope OP kept it. 

Stuff it into the front of your bib during your next ride for that extra confidence boost out on the trails. 

Why go anatomic when you can go atomic

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hey there, big boy! Is that a phallus-shaped clump of congealed tyre sealant in your bib or are you just happy to see me?"

:clap:

I had the same problem in my kids bikes with Slime that I put in a normal tube. The normal slime like Stans are much better though. Can put in in via the valve with a bit of work. Tubeless still the best option if you can.

Slime tubes are a waste of time IMHO. If you get a foreign object in your tyre the movement between tyre and tube will allow leakage, and the slime tends to mean that patches don't stick once there's a hole.

Tubeless or patch kits.

I still reckon slime in tubes is better than a naked inner tube.

But tubeless is far far far superior in every way.

it's kind of like looking at the rugby championship log to see if we ended up ahead of the Wallabies or not

Tubless all the way. There are very few Tyre/rim combinations that cannot be sorted with a ghetto conversion.

So it is a no brainer. 

These are the important questions of our time.

So while getting all serious and stuff ....

having converted to tubeless out of my own free will, and under no duress from the "tough crowd" .....

I do carry a spare tube on tube on rides - should this be WITH or WITHOUT the slime ? ?

More to the point, the spare tube is about 1 year old, has never been inflated, and was bought WITH slime in it .... as the sales-executive assured me THAT is what I wanted ....

So, all jokes aside - will this be okay in a month or two years when I do get that cut in the tubeless and have to resort to using the tube ?

This is what happened to my Friend's tube while riding the Karoo to Coast. Would really like to know if this is a regular occurance while riding? attachicon.gifphoto_2017-10-09_11-20-57.jpg

Not sure about that, but generally people all ride tubeless these days. I have seen tubes with sealant in where the tube sticks to itself or seals up the valve. Tell you friend to invest in a tubeless conversation and to add some  Foamo! The guys here forgot to tell you about foamo, huck norris and cush core.

having converted to tubeless out of my own free will, and under no duress from the "tough crowd" .....

I do carry a spare tube on tube on rides - should this be WITH or WITHOUT the slime ? ?

More to the point, the spare tube is about 1 year old, has never been inflated, and was bought WITH slime in it .... as the sales-executive assured me THAT is what I wanted ....

So, all jokes aside - will this be okay in a month or two years when I do get that cut in the tubeless and have to resort to using the tube ?

I have had to throw away unused tubes (without slime) after about 18 months simply because they perish. I have now resolved to inflate the spare tube before each major event just to check  if they're still usable.

Two sides of the same coin.

Those tubes coagulating does seem to happen more often than it should, hence using those tubes is not a good idea. :)

Do you think its brand specific? or in general? the reason I ask is, the problem may be with the sealant more than the application?

I used to always use Slime type sealant in my tubes when I ran tubes, lasted for the life of the tube/tyre, never clumped up and worked like a charm, highly recommended.

I think it's the brand of slime that's causing the issue, I had a similar experience with my tubeless setup using a tubeless specific slime type sealant which was poorly manufactured or designed - the particles separate out of the fluid and clump together and the sealant becomes useless thereafter, also once the fluid has separated it becomes thin enough to weep out of the sidewalls etc which results in finding the dry clumps inside the tyre next time it's taken off the rim.

That looks like the water based slime - age and particularly hot weather dries it out not so much the co2 that affects latex brands. Keep wheels / tubes out of Sun when not riding and as mentioned tubeless is much more reliable and not expensive or particularly difficult to diy with most tyres.

Its simple I think.

1: Convert to tubeless

2: When riding on normal MTB trails, take a spare normal tube and a big bomb (duck tape said items to set post or frame, stay away from saddle bags, its my duty to society to make that comment)

3: When riding is super thorny places like Tour de Tuli, take 1 x normal tube, 1 x slimey tube and 2 x big bombs. Again stay away from saddle bags or Camelbaks. They made me wear one on the two occasions I rode that tour and I still feel gross.

I never used my slimey tubes, and I found them recently, the slime still feels ok inside, been a year now, so to answer your question, and to reiterate what I said earlier, they are cool as backup (get me home) items, but I wouldn't use them as a day to day items.

Edited by Patchelicious