Chapman's Peak Drive resurfacing

buchanan

Is it a surface that uses less water to prepare? Maybe it has better drainage, dries faster and will be cheaper to re do every time rocks fall?

In the changing climate and economy there is probably a hell of a lot more to consider these days than whether cyclists find the road surface comfortable to ride on......

That's quite a few maybes. Unless they release a statement stating that the new surface is better (in the long-term) for the climate and socioeconomic environment, based on scientific evidence, I wouldn't suggest assuming anything. Basing opinions on intuition is a dangerous thing. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey hubbers,

As a pavement engineer (i design the road layerworks including the surfacing), the photo shows a single 14mm aggregate (stone) surfacing which i read somewhere was applied using bitumen rubber (more flexible properties than standard bitumen). I believe in order to create a safe surface (with skid resistance properites for the cars), asphalt with rolled in chips could have been utilised. Unfortunately this is a very expensive option. The cheaper alternative is a Cape Seal which i believe is what this surfacing is. A single layer of slurry will be laid over the aggregate and brushed in. This will leave approximately 2-4 mm exposed aggregate to help with the skid resistance. The slurry will be applied in the coming weeks after all the volatiles have been released from the bitumen rubber. The waiting period between the aggregate and slurry being applied helps with dislodging loose aggregate.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks @samson99! I was hoping someone in the thread had the expertise to explain this. I've only been on Chappies once and was really looking forward to going again soon...but will definitely wait for the process to be completed.

Seeing is believing.

I will believe it when the final coat is applied until then it is what it is.

In SA anything is possible especially shortcuts and usually is.

HB local

Seeing is believing.

I will believe it when the final coat is applied until then it is what it is.

In SA anything is possible especially shortcuts and usually is.

HB local

Agree, which is why we should worry when they paint it. Until then hasta mañana.

Another HB Local

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh btw, the road will be closed for cyclists until this is done

There was a no cycling sign this morning but at 6h00 in the morning it was terribly hard to see [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I saw a sign that said no MTB, so assumed road bikes were ok..

That's quite a few maybes. Unless they release a statement stating that the new surface is better (in the long-term) for the climate and socioeconomic environment, based on scientific evidence, I wouldn't suggest assuming anything. Basing opinions on intuition is a dangerous thing. 

huh?

My point was more that there are endless possibilities as to why the road looks like it does (finished or unfinished) and that the contractors will definitely have their reasons for it (regardless of what they are) which nobody knew/knows so whinging about it and making statements like 'they didn't need to' while being completely uninformed is exactly what you are saying is bad....

The guys spending the money probably couldn't care less about whether it is friendly for cyclists, especially after so many just rode up and over there when it was closed, despite the signs, cones, booms etc...  

Another HB Local

Also a HB local. Isn't it just the best place in the world?

Kind of ruins our round the point rides. I'm not THAAT keen to drive to Noordhoek to commence my rides but if that's the requirement...

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Also a HB local. Isn't it just the best place in the world?

Kind of ruins our round the point rides. I'm not THAAT keen to drive to Noordhoek to commence my rides but if that's the requirement...

Entilini can kiss my ass

I saw a sign that said no MTB, so assumed road bikes were ok..

I saw a sign that said no bike, which makes sense. You should never leave your bike on its own

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm worried about you guys riding on that road in the condition it is in. If one of you okes bail hard and from the sounds of things, get ripped up, aren't you going to be in deep kark as you are riding on a road that has been closed to cyclists? Will medical aid and insurance cover you?

Apparently that IS how it is going to be - That IS the FINAL coat.

Why does that not surprise me.

Council is going to meet with Entilini about this.

This can not be - something has to be done.

So what if over the weekend we all go for a ride on Chappies

and will not be allowed through do we turn around ??

Apparently that IS how it is going to be - That IS the FINAL coat.

Why does that not surprise me.

Council is going to meet with Entilini about this.

This can not be - something has to be done.

Do you have a link?  Or heard on the radio?