Chapman's Peak Drive resurfacing

buchanan

From what I understand the concessionaire, Enthilini is responsible for the maintenance of Chapman's Peak and the rougher surface was to improve safety (prevent cars from skidding on the surface when wet)!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand the concessionaire, Enthilini is responsible for the maintenance of Chapman's Peak and the rougher surface was to improve safety (prevent cars from skidding on the surface when wet)!

Surely it would be simpler to enforce a 40kph speed limit...

On some corners the chip is already coming off, this morning a polo was tearing some of the chips up as it cornered, dont think a bus is going to be any less aggressive in terms of wear. 

reading this thread is like watching all the armchair coaches analyzing post-match...yet none of them are actually either players or coaches...

first world problems

ummmm.... have you ever seen more than 30% of South Africans adhere to the speed limit ever?

Noted, but it's a short road and easy enough to have sufficient cameras, patrols, etc.

or 20kph from the lookout down to little chappies...

Ya, because it rains so much... mmm ya...

Do you KNOW how much bitching there would be from the locals????

There's always a complaint about cyclists getting in the way coming done there, even when travelling 50 - 60 kmh

Do you KNOW how much bitching there would be from the locals????

There's always a complaint about cyclists getting in the way coming done there, even when travelling 50 - 60 kmh

Yes, I do. That would be a smaller problem though.

It will be kinda stupid if they leave it like that....who would approve that....is there anybody that can be contacted regarding this....?

From Facebook:

f5fba5b283755210182a4d563982e29a.jpg

From what I have seen before it does look like it could be the finished job :(

That looks like a surface treatment on top of the existing road, not a complete replacement of the tar. One of the main specs on roads is load bearing(more the road bed) and ability to cope with expansion and contraction, the latter being generally what results in cracks developing and eventually potholes. Painting a bitumen type liquid or this stone chip stuff over the existing tar periodically helps to extend the life of the said tar and delay the cracking and inevitable full resurfacing. They fix potholes and sections that need replacing and then coat over everything, which is what it looks like they are doing here.

I don't think they choose this surface for its grip abilities, probably rather due to how it dissipates heat and hence reduces the range of expansion and contraction, water management is more an aspect of good drainage/road design, I could be wrong though.

I don't think Chappies should be tarred at all - let the road gradually devolve into a jeep track and then, finally, a really lekker single track

+1

From what I have seen before it does look like it could be the finished job :(

That looks like a surface treatment on top of the existing road, not a complete replacement of the tar. One of the main specs on roads is load bearing(more the road bed) and ability to cope with expansion and contraction, the latter being generally what results in cracks developing and eventually potholes. Painting a bitumen type liquid or this stone chip stuff over the existing tar periodically helps to extend the life of the said tar and delay the cracking and inevitable full resurfacing. They fix potholes and sections that need replacing and then coat over everything, which is what it looks like they are doing here.

I don't think they choose this surface for its grip abilities, probably rather due to how it dissipates heat and hence reduces the range of expansion and contraction, water management is more an aspect of good drainage/road design, I could be wrong though.

these are the fought of fred that got BigH foaming at the mouth. Oom if you're lurking here, howzit.