Chapman's Peak Drive resurfacing

buchanan

More of issue is stopping speeding cars, I really believe drastic measures are required before someone gets killed. I ride the route often on weekends and late summer afternoons and many drivers treat it like the Monte Carlo F1 track, serious tire squealing 80-100km an hour stuff, probably on route home from a boozy lunch. I seriously believe they need bolt-in speed bumps half way around the corners that can be temporarily removed for the Argus and other events.

I have 2 very simple rules for Chappies. Heading South you have to clear the top lookout from HB side before 9. That's when the busses start coming.

Heading North you have to clear little Chappies by 12 when coming from Noordhoek before Rossi, Hamilton and their mates pull in for the late afternoon booze fueled race.

As for the Mamil Peletons. I can't with those geniuses giving us all a bad name. Especially the John o Cocker idiots and the cecil nurse legends. 

Edited by Duane_Bosch

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People travel to Europe to ride on rough roads and cobbles. Now we'll have it here in CT! Embrace it and rough it out a little. It will now be even more spectacular.

On a road like Chappies it just makes in dangerous around some of those corners. I agree that it was done so to slow motorists down.

Tested the new road on the motorbike, and nearly came off at 20 kph around some of those corners.

On a road like Chappies it just makes in dangerous around some of those corners. I agree that it was done so to slow motorists down.

Tested the new road on the motorbike, and nearly came off at 20 kph around some of those corners.

Then it is bad if you experience that on a motorbike with fatter tyres and shocks

Just a question for those in the know, engineers etc. Won't a rough surface like that just wear down quicker because of all the 'gripping points'? Won't a couple of thousand buses and cars just wear that down quickly then everything will be smooth again?

Just a question for those in the know, engineers etc. Won't a rough surface like that just wear down quicker because of all the 'gripping points'? Won't a couple of thousand buses and cars just wear that down quickly then everything will be smooth again?

That's what I thought, the spray and chip vibe is not as hard on corners.

I still don't know why they would spend all the extra money on something that was not needed.

I rode on the new sections for the first time yesterday. At the moment it's like a bunch of big loose, sharp stones that have been glued together. Many loose stones flicked up, hitting my and my riding partner's frames. You can obviously feel the rougher texture and increased rolling resistance. I wouldn't want to crash and slide on it...  But perhaps it will bed down over time and improve a bit.

I just wonder why they bothered doing it at all, when the old surface is perfectly fine - nice and smooth. It's not like the road was potholed and rutted and needed resurfacing.  Maybe there's a budget that needs to be spent.

Edited by buchanan

That's what I thought, the spray and chip vibe is not as hard on corners.

I still don't know why they would spend all the extra money on something that was not needed.

Often, from a budgetary point of view, there's budget to burn to reflect 'jobs done' for the calendar year.

Mostly, there's a maintenance operational cycle where say road X gets resurfaced in 2011, 2017, 2023, regardless of condition.

Yeah the "bike lane" pavement section at the toll both comimg up from Hout Bay side had the chain across it, closing it off, our group obviously just went into the road and around it, But it was weird seeing the chain across that bike lane/pavement and quite dangerous because the chain is like a light yellow and white colour and the paving/bricks are a tan brown so it's hard to see from a distance away, you only really see it when u almost right there...

The MAIN question now is, Will the current KOM on Strava from Hout Bay side to the top become null and void because anyone challenging now has a rougher, more resistant/grippy type road?? LOL

Edited by FootballingCyclist

So... there's this concept of a 'tender'...  :whistling:

So... there's this concept of a 'tender'...  :whistling:

I thought a tender is when you quote for the work at an inflated price. You then get the contract. Get paid. But you never do the work.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I thought a tender is when you quote for the work at an inflated price. You then get the contract. Get paid. But you never do the work.

Entilini are a special lot, aren't they? Gonna have a crack at this tomorrow to see how it rolls. The PPA chap on the radio wasn't pleased

By the looks of things, some peoples saddle contact areas will be a bit tender after riding this new surface.

Elaborate please

Regards

Concerned local [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was wishful thinking

Sorry ????