Chapman's Peak Drive resurfacing

buchanan

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do all the nay sayers realize, Chappies was never built to service cyclists? Bicycles were invented as transport. Some ingenious people started having fun with them, then the wonderful happened.......thank you Mr Fischer....... BAM the Mountain bike.

We could go anywhere, ride over anything! Chappies is just a small obstacle.

And for all the roadies that don't do Dik Weil (excuse my spelling), Google the original TDF images.

Those guys had balls!!!! :eek:

I'll just leave this here, fetch popcorn and go sit on the couch!!!

:whistling:

As the surface is apparently so rough and cyclist allegedly ride 2 or more a breast, surely somebody tried to kill 2 birds with one stone? Leave the 1st meter on both side smooth and only do the middle with new rough surface. Then cyclist will probably choose to ride in the smooth part! Another consideration is not to put a center line in and just have cycle lanes on both side. Thus buses can go down the pass toward Noordhoek legally and not cross the solid line in the middle!

As from the pics below basically remove center line and put a bike lane on either side. Bikes have right of way when they using them otherwise cars / trucks may use them as a normal road and keep the surface clean for cyclist. Change the law of the road that if a motorist knock a cyclist on a road where there is a cycle lane (regardless of where the cyclist was on the road) the motorist is assumed guilty unless they can prove themselves innocent - after all the motorist has been made aware by the road marking more vulnerable road users use that road!

Maybe somebody can ask PPA to go speak to the guys at Chapman's Peak and see if they will to try a pilot project of such a nature - after all PPA were one of the 1st funders of the new road!

22852953_10155563257350310_576644558235122894106_10155563257360310_1996101696376

Edited by Icycling

Maybe there is a government  minister that is going into the tyre business coz that going to have a lot more tyre wear  on car tyres.   :ph34r:  :whistling:

As the surface is apparently so rough and cyclist allegedly ride 2 or more a breast, surely somebody tried to kill 2 birds with one stone? Leave the 1st meter on both side smooth and only do the middle with new rough surface. Then cyclist will probably choose to ride in the smooth part! Another consideration is not to put a center line in and just have cycle lanes on both side. Thus buses can go down the pass toward Noordhoek legally and not cross the solid line in the middle!

2 abreast? Sheesh, you must have been there on a good day. It's usually 4 at least.

2 abreast? Sheesh, you must have been there on a good day. It's usually 4 at least.

That's - Allegedly!!!

If I could like a post twice I would!

Rode Chappies this past Sunday and experienced the "newly" resurfaced sections. Boy, is it terrible!!  Very course and rough surface. Based on the section done so far and the levels I would say it looks like the final surface finish. Anyone else feel the same as I do or know for certain if that is the final surface finish 

Edited by Nick
Merged from another topic to this discussion.

Seen this on FB.... Now everyone gets an idea of how crap it really is...

How crap for tourists though, Vans and busses make a horrible noise when driving over such uneven roads... I don't think this plan was properly thought through!!

post-35357-0-45975000-1509455555_thumb.jpg

Edited by FootballingCyclist

Maybe only leaving the left side smooth for cyclist going up hill is a better idea with a cycle lane. Cyclist tend to be faster on the downhills anyway - but still have no center line for the buses to be legal!

Looks like a nice, noisy, rough, cheap spray and chip job. The reason some roads are built with a smooth surface is road noise. I would have thought a  scenic drive like this would warrant a quiet smooth road surface. I wonder what the tender/contract says?   Not only will cyclists feel like they have been at it on a pneumatic drill for many minutes, but tour operators will have to turn up the volume on their PA systems to be heard... :-) 

Edited by Headshot

I rode over from the Hout Bay side this morning. There is a no cycling sign placed in the centre of the bike lane at the toll. Runners, motorcycles, and cars seem to be allowed. Obviously, I turned straight around and rode home over Constantia Nek.

The sections they've done going up from Hout Bay are not too rough but noticeably bumpier than the previously silky smooth tarmac. And it seems to have been filled in a bit compared to the photo posted earlier. However, after the toll, on the other side of the road it looked a lot like in the photo.

Would be good to get the opinion of civil engineer / padkunde person on this, but the road outside our house was "finished"in this manner a few years ago. At first one thinks 'they can't be serious', but bitchamin is semi-fluid and the weight of traffic pushes all the little stones into the gaps and flattens it out with time. After a few months of 'settling in', it is substantially smoother, but unlikely to be as smooth as the previous surface they had there.

More of issue is stopping speeding cars, I really believe drastic measures are required before someone gets killed. I ride the route often on weekends and late summer afternoons and many drivers treat it like the Monte Carlo F1 track, serious tire squealing 80-100km an hour stuff, probably on route home from a boozy lunch. I seriously believe they need bolt-in speed bumps half way around the corners that can be temporarily removed for the Argus and other events.

More of issue is stopping speeding cars, I really believe drastic measures are required before someone gets killed. I ride the route often on weekends and late summer afternoons and many drivers treat it like the Monte Carlo F1 track, serious tire squealing 80-100km an hour stuff, probably on route home from a boozy lunch. I seriously believe they need bolt-in speed bumps half way around the corners that can be temporarily removed for the Argus and other events.

I was wondering about average speed cameras with a number of sections measured over the whole pass to stop people simply pulling over half way and then speeding off once they've checked the view.