Chapman's Peak Drive resurfacing

buchanan

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a question for those in the know, engineers etc. Won't a rough surface like that just wear down quicker because of all the 'gripping points'? Won't a couple of thousand buses and cars just wear that down quickly then everything will be smooth again?

We have a 12 km piece double carriage road on the east rand that carry's huge amounts of traffic and that was "Chip and Tar " 20 years ago and its still 'Terrible " to train on . 

Edited by FirstV8

Hey hubbers,

As a pavement engineer (i design the road layerworks including the surfacing), the photo shows a single 14mm aggregate (stone) surfacing which i read somewhere was applied using bitumen rubber (more flexible properties than standard bitumen). I believe in order to create a safe surface (with skid resistance properites for the cars), asphalt with rolled in chips could have been utilised. Unfortunately this is a very expensive option. The cheaper alternative is a Cape Seal which i believe is what this surfacing is. A single layer of slurry will be laid over the aggregate and brushed in. This will leave approximately 2-4 mm exposed aggregate to help with the skid resistance. The slurry will be applied in the coming weeks after all the volatiles have been released from the bitumen rubber. The waiting period between the aggregate and slurry being applied helps with dislodging loose aggregate.

I hope this makes sense.

Hey hubbers,

As a pavement engineer (i design the road layerworks including the surfacing), the photo shows a single 14mm aggregate (stone) surfacing which i read somewhere was applied using bitumen rubber (more flexible properties than standard bitumen). I believe in order to create a safe surface (with skid resistance properites for the cars), asphalt with rolled in chips could have been utilised. Unfortunately this is a very expensive option. The cheaper alternative is a Cape Seal which i believe is what this surfacing is. A single layer of slurry will be laid over the aggregate and brushed in. This will leave approximately 2-4 mm exposed aggregate to help with the skid resistance. The slurry will be applied in the coming weeks after all the volatiles have been released from the bitumen rubber. The waiting period between the aggregate and slurry being applied helps with dislodging loose aggregate.

I hope this makes sense.

Hi samson. Thanks for this explanation.  So in your opinion, does this mean that the final surface should be smoother than it is now, but still a bit coarser than the old "smooth" surface?

Yeah went up there yesterday, albeit from Hout Bay side, its not your "smooth" road surface, its the type that looks like many stones stuck together, Looks almost like a rice cake kinda surface... I hope and pray it's not how it will stay... If it is, its going to be a very uncomfortable ride...

Chip and spray is what they call it

Provides good weathering and more cost effective than applying rolled asphalt.

Many roads up in Gauteng are done this way 

Hi samson. Thanks for this explanation.  So in your opinion, does this mean that the final surface should be smoother than it is now, but still a bit coarser than the old "smooth" surface?

Simple answer yes. If you have ever ridden in the winelands, the road surfaces that we generally cycle on are chip and spray (as sharkie correctly pointed out) and are roughish but cycleable. Asphalt is the smooth surface but has limited skid resistance properties especially on a steep downhill when wet. 

We have a 12 km piece double carriage road on the east rand that carry's huge amounts of traffic and that was "Chip and Tar " 20 years ago and its still 'Terrible " to train on . 

Heidelburg road?

Hey hubbers,

I hope this makes sense.

Hubbers me think Samson99 was following this thread from day one and probably said: "lets see what the hubbers come up with and I will post when it reaches page 6"

:thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Hey hubbers,

I hope this makes sense.

Well its good to know its not the final finish, I am not so worried about the rough surface going up, just the loose aggregate in the corners as it was rather hairy on the way down. 

Thanks for your insight.

Well its good to know its not the final finish, I am not so worried about the rough surface going up, just the loose aggregate in the corners as it was rather hairy on the way down. 

Thanks for your insight.

Like marbles  :eek:

finally, a piksha - bliksem...that looks like it's been scattered over the surface!

looks like a nice rock garden 

So I did my steady state recce this morning. I am no civil engineer but I will be utterly surprised if that current layer is the final one.

That said please take care on the descents, lots of loose shite currently

Good see the Savages and the La Perlas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk