Not above the Law

Mousea

I get hit up about this every year at two times of the year: always before Argus and before 94.7. 

This is when the guys out training (often noobs or corporates) decide to get a follow car aka wife/company bakkie and driver behind them on their training ride (because cycling is dangerous you know) and they block the left lane with hazard flashers on etc. to protect their crew. even dishing out drinks on the fly during the last training rides of the "team" who are doing the race.

The fact that they are basically compromising other riders as well as cars by forcing them wide of the riders and making it difficult to overtake the cyclists or group (who now feel free to spread out) doesn't seem to appear as an issue?

Seen as though we are a lawless nation why give a hoot about motorists? Lets just piss them off more by creating a moving roadblock on narrow roads. And force them in to oncoming traffic when the bunch of cyclists slows down to a crawl on a climb. That or stay behind at 11 kmh. I find this does wonders for motorist/cyclist relations. 

There were two of these convoys on the way to and in the cradle last weekend. Often with young riders with a concerned dad or mom in an SUV or MPV behind. And always aware of threats and willing to use their vehicle as a defensive weapon should anyone threaten their precious riders whom are in danger from attack from behind....

I posted about this a couple of years ago. and had 2 x fathers who were indignant about my even mentioning this as they saw no harm in driving behind their family on narrow roads like this when they are out training with their clubs/families etc.

After all, as they were so quick to point out, the taxis are all driven by madmen so they are within their rights to protect their precious cargo like they wanted to. 

Listen - i get the clubs and bunches and their guys are often much more aware and experienced and they tend to watch their mirrors and not use their vehicles as defensive weapons. Also they tend to go on club rides where their is space. I like the idea myself when i am in a bunch.

I just dont get the amateurs who think that they are special and need a team vehicle behind them to protect them from the rear, and pass out drinks and encouragement etc.

Moving OT a bit and giving my 2 cents worth (getting old and grumpy i think):

If you ride like a normal person, ride defensively and are aware then bikes can co-exist with vehicles on any Sunday ride. Its the pack mentality that really creates havoc, the desire to band together for safety in numbers, which is counter intuitively what makes it more dangerous for both motorists and cyclists.

Why don't cyclists get it that if they are easy to pass they will be easily passed? And if they are visible and easy to pass then even better, they will get passed with respect.

Finally - given that i am as a motorist at risk of a head on accident whilst passing a big cycling group in a dodgy or blind rise attempt to get past a very slow group on a  climb (even if illegal), then i would quickly swing back into the cyclists and mow them down rather than risk killing myself in a head on. Its called self preservation. I am in a big steel shell and am protected pretty well from any damage i cause, In any accident of this nature the most i will have is a dent to the car when cyclists will be ex cyclists... 

Think defensively and you will be amazed how you start making decisions...

we rode cradle this weekend

left car at neck and deck

on way there we passed lots of guys riding 4 abreast and outside of marked off yellow lane

im a cyclist so i gave way

but i can fully understand why non cyclists on that road would get angry

some cyclists dont give a damn

think they are entitled to whole road and also think they made of steel

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We did this kind of thing plenty while riding motor cycles in joint club rides or mass rides...there would be a few bikes who would keep ahead of the big bunch and block side roads and intersections...the reason we did it was to prevent a vehicle from getting stuck in the middle of the bikes which would become a hazard for both the motorist and bikes...cant say we ever had any issues with motorists...never had a complaint either.

it seems motorist have lots of issue with cyclists.

I don't have a problem with cyclists at all.

I drive around them giving a bigger gap than is necessary.

I am a cyclist myself.

I have a PROBLEM with self centered arrogant bad mannered  cyclists that think they are bullet proof and own the road.

It must have been so awful for you to wait those extra few minutes for the cyclists to get through that intersection, while their vehicle illegally blocked it. I'm so sorry for you. I hope you manage to recoup those few minutes somewhere. 

It's simply an air of entitlement that has crept in. The cyclists feel entitled to block the road without thinking of others... The motorists feel entitled that the cyclists should not block the road and they have right of way.. Because they have all watched this movie before they are expecting the backlash and start of any interactions angrily. In reality if the support vehicle approached it apologetically to the cars and the cars considered the safety of the cyclists and realised that in the greater scheme of things the delay is miniscule then everyone would get along and it would be a non issue.

One thing I've learnt is that south Africans are overly angry and wound up like a clock due to circumstances out of their control.... so they take their frustration out on insignificant things that they can try influence

just a thought...would it not be better to use a motor cycle as a backup vehicle with flashing lights etc...especially on narrow roads ? a motor cycle would be able to go next to the cyclist without taking up 2 lanes to keep the bunch in order....it just makes a lot more sense than blocking the entire lane...i saw this on the ride we did to pmb and back...motorist were getting pretty worked up by the time they could pass. 

road like the M4 to balito have got so bad that you cant even ride in the orange line due to the lack of maintenance....the trucks cut the bush back as they pass :(

The roadies that were cycling in KZN Merrivale area over the weekend.......

Your convoy of support vehicles is NOT above the law.

To block the road and hurl abuse at other LEGAL road users is not on.

I hope your back up vehicle suffered numerous flat tyres

treat slow moving cars just like you treat any other slow vehicle such as farm

tractors,digger loaders,horse and cart etc etc pass when safe

It must have been so awful for you to wait those extra few minutes for the cyclists to get through that intersection, while their vehicle illegally blocked it. I'm so sorry for you. I hope you manage to recoup those few minutes somewhere. 

My sentiments exactly... They probably have had a few close calls in the past where cars have almost t-boned them as they cycled through an intersection.... so erring on the side of safety, much better for the cyclist to have their back-up vehicle illegally block it as they went by.

Pity those 2 cyclists on the M4 did not have a back-up vehicle looking out for them when they were ploughed into and killed !!

And yes while it might have caused some inconvenience for drivers time wise I doubt any serious harm or delay came of it.

Edit: well it shouldn't have ... especially to rant over nothing really!!

Edited by shaper

This is NOT the point.

If you don't have anything positive to say don't bother.

What I'm getting at is , I am fairly patient.

You are going to get some Non cyclist that isn't and then people wonder why cyclists get run over.

And it still doesn't give the back up vehicle the right to block roads and hurl abuse where it is for a few mins or not.

Get with the picture

This is NOT the point.

You are going to get some Non cyclist that isn't and then people wonder why cyclists get run over.

And it still doesn't give the back up vehicle the right to block roads and hurl abuse where it is for a few mins or not.

Get with the picture

I wasn't going to wade in... but I will now... try getting with the bigger picture yourself and get over yourself !!

Just because others see it differently!!.... maybe you came here looking for acknowledgement and sympathy.

Am sure there is more than one side of abuse to this story... but as the other party is not here to comment, we are meant to take your word for it?

I wasn't going to wade in... but I will now... try getting with the bigger picture yourself and get over yourself !!

Just because others see it differently!!.... maybe you came here looking for acknowledgement and sympathy.

Am sure there is more than one side of abuse to this story... but as the other party is not here to comment, we are meant to take your word for it?

Shaper take it as you like.

I don't need Sympathy,

I just need cyclists to stop acting like Dicks, and then crying foul play when they get hurt.

Saw much the same on Saturday morning on the R45, near the Motor museum.  (outside Franschoek) ... nice twisty section of road.

A team sporting AG clothing, was cycling with a back-up vehicle sporting the AG logo.  The back-up vehicle was positioned such that it effectively blocked cars from passing.  And the cyclists were riding four abreast, well into the roadway - despite a very wide yellow lane section. 

SORRY, but this sport can do without the negative centiment such behaviour stirs up .....

Ah, the joys of DC training.... :ph34r:

Shaper take it as you like.

I don't need Sympathy,

I just need cyclists to stop acting like Dicks, and then crying foul play when they get hurt.

Am glad you got it off your chest as it seems you been hanging on to this for a while.... i trust you are feeling better??

Next time try counting to 10, breath deeply, especially when its a car driver who cuts you up and gives you the middle finger...... coz they can also be dicks !!

Edited by shaper

This is NOT the point.

Get with the picture

This is my picture:

- blocking an intersection with your car is a contravention of the road rules.

- Ploughing through an intersection and possibly into a group of cyclists is also a contravention of the road rules, it's also reckless endangerment and possibly attempted murder or even murder (I'm sure some legal buff can correct my inaccuracies here)

- hurling abuse - having abuse hurled at you ???? Meh - who cares.

My perspective is I'd rather either be illegally blocking the road, have someone illegally block the road for me while I cycle or have another car illegally block the road in front of me so that I don't for whatever reason happen to drive through an intersection with cyclists in it because accidents happen, brakes fail, people have seizures... 

All we need is a little patience.

And stop victim blaming. You can't blame a cyclist getting run over by car because some other cyclist hurled a little abuse! 

While we're gaining some patience, get a thicker skin.

My view on the matter, and what I tried to understand from what the OP tried to say, this is a forum for people who has a passion / interest in cycling.  And that our behaviour on the road impacts on the views of the other road users towards us as a road user (ie first look at your own actions before waiting for the other party to change). 

I doubt (but can be corrected), that there is no way and very little evidence that acting like a ( :cursing:  :cursing: ) is in anyway going to make the others users of the road all of a sudden magically repent about their actions and change their ways.  It is like believing that if you get pulled over by a traffic cop, you start swearing at him and telling him or her how stupid they were to have pulled you over because everyone else is doing A / B / C and why are they now picking on you when no one got hurt or injured....I would guess the chances of getting away with just a warning becomes VERY slim.   

It is not to say the behaviour of the cyclist justifies or make the irresponsible behaviour (ie texting while driving, overtaking to close, drunk driving) of the motorist in any way or form ok. 

But long and short two wrongs will not get you closer to a safer road space.  Because yes it was a few seconds or minutes, but that could be the contributing factor for someone that does NOT have the patience to wait to serious injure others... it remains his/her fault, it remains his/her responsibility to carry the consequences of his action, but that does not in anyway diminish the hurt / injury / impact on the ones that got run over (or their families) .

Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood

Whilst on my soap box: Another pet peeve is the bunches of motorcyclists, especially the harley clubs or the ducati clubs.....

The duck patty boys were up near kloofzicht the other day, and were all over the place. A rolling roadblock. some okes hanging on the cable, others wheelying, and the rest wobbling around.at low speed on sports bikes trying to ride them at 80.... I mean WTF - this is a sports bike....

Then the HOG boys who are like the cradle bad boys. Bruiser brigade turning petrol in to noise slowly.

100 Harleys ride through or on their way to the cradle with their bouncers aka marshalls blocking intersections and stopping traffic? 

I just dont get why you would want to ride in a bunch? Cyclists do it to talk rubbish and slip stream or train  - none of which you can do on a motorcycle to much effect.

I have twice been shoved aside by HOG groups - various chapters, when on a bicycle.

I mean WTF am I going to do to them. Infect them with carbon fibre?

The marshals aka bouncers, just rode over the white line to get me out of the way of their threatened riders plus they were hauling ass (flat out on their Harleys which is about 120) to get ahead of the bunch to allow them to block it off against the invading horde of cyclists...... 

What was ai going to do - make them pedal something ? Or god forbid - wear lycra.

I am a motorcyclist myself and i just think riding in a bunch is not only super dangerous but super naff. Not like 2 to 3 of your mates or to the toy run once a year, but like every weekend with the boys - WTF?

Cyclist do it for a reason - slip streaming, training etc.

Am i missing something?