Scammer: AVermaak 0736403926 0833380586 0735571325 0719242226 0780588679 0632361766

Matt

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always do a bit of research before doing a remote deal, especially if they don’t have any seller ratings and there’s a lot of money involved, and I also check to see if the person is registered with TrueCaller.

According to TrueCaller this number belongs to “Khimbu Skhawini” which would’ve raised a big red flag if he was posting as AVermaak!!!

Edited by Cylon

I was tempted by the float x2 which seemed way too cheap - made a lowball offer just to test and he accepted no questions asked. That alone made me walk away.

I always do a bit of research before doing a remote deal, especially if they don’t have any seller ratings and there’s a lot of money involved, and I also check to see if the person is registered with TrueCaller.

According to TrueCaller this number belongs to “Khimbu Skhawini” which would’ve raised a big red flag if he was posting as AVermaak!!!

I also do the same. I just checked his number now, before I read your post.

I check on google and social media as well, usually pick up (most) dodgy people

Scammers usually steal people's profiles to divert anybody from finding them. Doubt very much that the farmer in the pic has ever been on a MTB, or had anything to do with MTB stuff.

We also almost fell victim to this guy. We were just waiting to receive banking details to do an EFT. 

Fortunately, he never sent his details back to me.

Also noticed some dodgy stuff like TrueCaller, etc.

Is there no way that new members can be vetted and approved on the hub?

Not sure how this can be done though, but maybe Certified copy of ID and proof of address upon registration of your profile?

Is there no way that new members can be vetted and approved on the hub?

Not sure how this can be done though, but maybe Certified copy of ID and proof of address upon registration of your profile?

Think this is a good idea, but in practice the determined scammers will just fake this info anyway, but it should reduce the number of chancers though.

Chingy sent the guy's number to me in WhatsApp and then TrueCaller identified the name as "Khimbu Skhawini" and we then decided it was too dodgy.

We should probably also have raised an alarm.

Think this is a good idea, but in practice the determined scammers will just fake this info anyway, but it should reduce the number of chancers though.

Agreed.

Determined scammers will still succeed, but I deterrent to some chancers perhaps.

Another thought I had was if Members can perhaps take a meeting with new members in their area in order to validate their information before admin approves the profile.

I would not hesitate to take a meeting with a new member in my area within 10km from home for example to validate his information if that can prevent myself or some you guys falling victim to scammers.

It would be like setting up our own neighborhood watch in a way :)

Problem with true caller is that info on it is not always accurate, my number (having been my number from long before true caller even came out) is listed as someone else's number.

Problem with true caller is that info on it is not always accurate, my number (having been my number from long before true caller even came out) is listed as someone else's number.

Sure, it's not 100% accurate but in my experience it's pretty darn close and a good starting point for vetting someone. Best to use TrueCaller in addition to other channels like Bike Hub seller ratings, Google search, social media profiles etc. If the person's name and number doesn't appear during any of your searches, over even worse, appears to be linked to somebody else, then you should approach with extreme caution.  

In over 100 transactions on The Hub (buying and selling), I've never been scammed using a combination of the above methods.

Edited by Cylon

Arno also tried me!!

Confirmed to sell it to me and the address in Vrede and drove all the way to Vrede and he was no where !

Does not answer his phone and ignored my whatsapp msges....

Lucky for me I did not pay him!

I fell victim to Arno. My Garmin went missing recently, browsed the classifieds, saw a good deal and went for it. I must admit I did buy it a bit hastily.

I did the payment last week Saturday and havnt had any response from him since. Calls and whatsapps get ignored.

I have probably become too comfortable with buying on thehub since I have had many positive buying and selling experiences. Universities fees paid I guess.

Guess its a learning curve for all of us.

I wouldve fallen victim to him friday lastweek but the fact that he insisted on instant cash payment was a sign.

He knew absolutely jack about the extra features his so called 1030 upgrade had over the 820 when questioned.

If it's to good to be true rather walk away.