Speed of road bike vs mtb

Henley 1

OK OK I know road bikes are faster on tarred roads that mountain bikes.

The question is, however, by how much?

Given: the "average" road bike with 7 bar tires vs the "average" 29er mtb with 3 bar tires. Let's make the rider also the average weekend warrior. assume no wind.

Main effects of course are: weight, tire resistance and air resistance

Waiting to hear what the hotshots think .... how much faster?

After a quick google  :thumbup:

A general rule of thumb is that if you are switching from a mountain bike with knobbies to a road bike you will be between 15-20% faster at the same watts/effort. Typically that's only a change of 3-5 kmph.

After a quick google  :thumbup:

A general rule of thumb is that if you are switching from a mountain bike with knobbies to a road bike you will be between 15-20% faster at the same watts/effort. Typically that's only a change of 3-5 kmph.

Over what distance? If over 1km then may well be but would think the rolling resistance and increased fatigue over 100kms would be more?

Let's not forget fear ratios

Bloody predictive text. Supposed to be "gear ratios". But I suppose "fear ratios" could also be apt.

Did a couple of road rides on my MTB, generally finished with an average of approximately 26 kmh. Got myself a roadie, participated in two events so far and finished with average speeds of app 32-33kmh. So, in my case a nice noticeable difference ????. Better gears, low rolling resistance help keep with the bunch.

This is either should i be doing 94.7 or double century on my MTB type of thread

Switch bikes after lap 1?

I can see the thread now: *which bike to start double loop with and why?*

There are gear ratios which make a big difference, and of course geometry - a road bike already sits in a better climbing and pedaling position that even the best XC race whips, but since we are talking average rider and bikes you would have to compare to a trail bike with an even worse climbing/pedalong position.

Random guess for someone that does a 100km in 4hrs on a road bike - it would take 5 to 5 and a half hours on a trail bike.

Interesting comments indeed!

I love my FELT carbon full sus 29er so much that I lately do all road race with it - on 3 bar knobblies. Of course I am not a serious cyclist: typically I would ave 30 km/hr over 90km on the rolling hills north of Durban in a triathlon, and typically ave 23 km/hr in more hilly terrain with the mtb in PE. That is, however, comparing apples with pears - hence my question above.

Thanx for the input!

Archived