Are Raleigh bicycles from Makro still a bad idea

ravz86

At least with the Cannondale boys they certainly honour their warranty claims

Cheap shot, I know.

But hey, it's Friday!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my fave was always the local Mtrax - it was made out of box shaped tubing!

http://img.bidorbuy.co.za/image/upload/user_images/112/2168112/2168112_131108123043_8Nov2013_066.jpg

Ah, I had one of those bad boys. I was super fun to ride. At the time, that's about as good as recreational full sus got. I was in high school at the time and traded it for a BMX. My dad was not impressed. :P

Now that's a real Makro special... no pedals, dodgy looking chain, fork on back to front...aaand what looks like stell frame...what is the world coming to?

I don't recall ever seeing a bike where the chain stay isn't parallel with the road (BB and rear wheel hub are in the same plane). 

There is a market for cheap ****, so companies will keep making it. 

Buy it as a joke, but for anything above commuting, stay well away. 

I want to try a 947 on one of these bikes  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Ah, I had one of those bad boys. I was super fun to ride. At the time, that's about as good as recreational full sus got. I was in high school at the time and traded it for a BMX. My dad was not impressed. :P

That's what I started cycling on, 17 years ago.

Got it from a friend, idea was to get active again after a knee operation and I could not run anymore. The bug bit (or the competitive side of me kicked in) and I actually did 3 x road races on it.  :blush:  :blush:

Had it hanging in my garden shed until about a year ago, when I donated it to one of my employees to commute with. 

I want to try a 947 on one of these bikes  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

There is a snowballs chance in hell that I would use such a cheap bike for my 35 km commute to work.  I do not like walking that much.

I wouldn't take a chance with them. The only Raleigh I had was a Raleigh Marathon 6.0, a duel sus 26", but crikey it was a good bike.

Did my first Argus on a cheap Makro Raleigh, leading up to the race I spent a small fortune replacing the wheel hubs, saddle, pedals, cranks, brakes, basically everything except the frame.  Afrikaans have a saying "goedkoop is duurkoop" 

Funny, one of the few times I saw a pliers being used to set gears was at Makro. 

Applied force could be measured by the height and shape of the veins in the salesman's forehead. Witnessing the resulting shredded mess at the end of the cable has motivated me in life to be a better person.

I left quietly.

makro bike is likely to break you before it breaks itself...

just because the forks going to fall off :whistling:

Ive learnt from experience 

I want to try a 947 on one of these bikes :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

I did it this year.

my fave was always the local Mtrax - it was made out of box shaped tubing!

http://img.bidorbuy.co.za/image/upload/user_images/112/2168112/2168112_131108123043_8Nov2013_066.jpg

The mtrax...a buddy bought one & got us all into the sport. He chucked BIGGER knobblies on it for his first Argus cause "it looks cooler".

Another story of that argus was the guy in the full face helmet on a bmx asking for water. Our mtrax buddy obliged by handing over bottle. Bmx guy proceeded to cool off by squirting himself in the face with Game dissolved in very sweet Oros...

Well can pick up this bad boy for R3500

And who wold have thought to put the water bottle at that spot, thinking out side the box, or rather triangle ..

post-65102-0-29362000-1512617448_thumb.jpg

Well can pick up this bad boy for R3500

With a saddle at that angle I suggest you gooi a double dab of chamois cream....

Archived