Altercation in Strand

Schmorglebot

As I got older I realized that there are people out there who are, day in and day out, going to get themselves into *** and that my best course of action was to try to never be anywhere near them when it happened.

It took a long time and it's still not always easy . . . .but just LET IT GO. Let the knob go do his (or her) stuff elsewhere.

Doesn't take anything away from me as a person and saves a lot of agro.

Occasionally stuff happens that you just can't avoid - then just apply damage limitation. Which means not throwing petrol onto the fire.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay in single file, stop cycling in front of cars.

Riding single file in a group of three gets the same reaction from cars #JustSaying.

Maybe things have changed in the Western Cape since I was last there but it was not uncommong for motorists to just get p!$$ed off when they see cyclists.

With this wind in the Cape at the moment... I've decided to take a daily chill pill. 

They're quite cheap, and there's no danger of overdose or adverse readings...

So a friend of mine and his mate were cycling in Strand yesterday (Sarel Cillier into Fagan street, if you know Strand) when this BMW pulls up behind one of them and starts sitting on his hooter. My friend then (perhaps unnecessarily) gives him the one finger salute. The car passes but eventually my friend ends up in front again. The same thing happens, hooting, saluting, but this time the driver thinks that he is now entitled to intentionally drive into my mate. Takes his back wheel out, friend and bike (which is a grand total of 1 day old) are on the floor. The other cyclist gets off his bike and jumps in front of the car, and slams his hands on the bonnet in frustration.

The injured cyclist gets up and in a heightened state goes to the driver window for answers. The driver (who is travelling with his wife and kids) ignores my friend and in his heightened state my friend hits his mirror breaking the housing. The driver then decides that this is enough and starts to reverse in order to make his escape! Luckily in his haste he reverses into another car and it is perhaps only due to this that he was caught. The car that was backed into chases after the offender and catches him a few blocks down. They then all meet up at the police station.

It doesnt sound like my friend wants to press charges and go through the hassle of court and all that. He's offered to pay for the mirror but the driver is unresponsive.

How have we gotten to a situation where people either have so little regard for other people, or are so sensitive that they will drive into a cyclist?

Anyway, this was just a bit of a rant. Just thankful that everyone involved is alright and that the only casualty was a rear derailleur

Perhaps?  :eek:   

Riding single file in a group of three gets the same reaction from cars #JustSaying.

Maybe things have changed in the Western Cape South Africa since I was last there but it was not uncommong for motorists to just get p!$$ed off when they see cyclists anybody.

Minor edit

Egos. I see egos everywhere.

The rider was driving in HIS lane.

The driver hooted at HIM during HIS ride.

The rider gave HIM the finger.

Seriously. Just chiiiiiiiil.

Copenhagen feels like a hippie town after a wild fires burnt down the weed fields and blew in the direction of the city compared to Johannesburg.

I stopped reading after "one finger solute"  typical roadie ****..

see this is the actual problem -  everyone else is a **** except me , im perfect and im going to have an opinion about them ......................sad mate

wether its motorists against cyclists or mtb exgolfers/multisporters against roadies always the same childish macho intolerant sh#t.....

happy xmas everyone :thumbup:

Edited by bikebloke

I have also noticed that this time of the year is like a tinderbox of emotion.

its like people try so hard to destress that they are more stressed.

I ride by myself. Always. I have a right to use the road. All of it. And if that means "cycling in front of cars" then I will.

You are part of the problem.

Did you just say that  :D  

lol

Both guys are idiots, however I think the cyclist is the bigger one. What's that driver's attitude gonna be towards any cyclist he encounters in the future? 

Drop the ego. Understand that despite whatever laws are enacted (or not enacted), as a cyclist you're always most vulnerable. Think about other cyclists too. 

It's December, exercise a bit more patience wherever you go (bike or car).

Take care out there guys!  

edit: spelling

Edited by Bonker

The BMW driver must be a Tri-Athlete, juiced to the eyeballs.

I mean, aren't all.......  :whistling:  :ph34r:

Couldn't have been.... no time to drive cars with all the training... 

Joh, heavy Christmas spirit going down there in the Cape  - Dehydration Syndrome?

Your mate sounds like a big boy and should have walked away, no matter what.  Has a broken wheel to show for it.....not good.

Oh, to be young again, guess I would have done the same?

There is so much anger on the roads at the moment, I almost had a guy in a van take me out yesterday on a cycle lane, he lost his shyte not even realizing he was in the wrong.

The BMW driver must be a Tri-Athlete, juiced to the eyeballs.

I mean, aren't all.......  :whistling:  :ph34r:

And the dude who smashed the mirror? A roided up hairy, short sock, saddlebag yielding, Camelbak wearing MTBer?

Edited by Patchelicious

• So mate get knocked off bike...
  • Mate hits mirror and breaks housing...
  • Mate offers to pay for mirror...

Verdict: Mate is guilty of something else unsaid.

end of story.