Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2018

BigDL

To lose weight effectively it is of prime importance to teach your body to primarily burn fat and not carbs. This is done by cutting carbs from the diet, well at least all refined and processed stuff, and engaging in aerobic activities like cycling, running or swimming in your aerobic zone. Eat whole foods, cut out all sugar and processed stuff, limit fruit intake to 1 or 2 portions a day, make sure your workouts is aerobic, and the fat should melt steadily away.

http://livehealthy.chron.com/train-body-use-fat-fuel-running-9192.html

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a 22.3km ride in Durbs this morning, for the TinMan Tri Sprint relay. My brother in law swam, I rode, and my wife ran.

Considering I haven't spent as much time on a bicycle as a I used to, it wasn't such a bad time. There's lots of room for improvement though, firstly my weight needs to get back down, and I need to spend more time on the bike.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

With the exception of a few casual rides, very few and far between, I haven't turned a pedal in almost 30 months. So for all practical purposes I am a beginner. I try to do an hour session on the MTB or indoor trainer 3 to 4 times during the week. Saturday 2 hours, sunday hour to hour and a half. Heart rate is kept at 180 minus my age, thus 126 bpm. This is supposed to stimulate the aerobic system. Think capillaries, mitochondrial action, slow twitch muscle development, fat burning instead of carb burning, etc.

I don't really see the point of the low heart rate training. It you cut the carbs from your diet  you will burn fat at any heart rate as there will not be much else to burn.

I would not be able to warm up it I tried riding using 180 minus age - 110 beats . I consider any training  session a failure when my average is below 140 beats and when I don't get it up above 160.

I don't really see the point of the low heart rate training. It you cut the carbs from your diet  you will burn fat at any heart rate as there will not be much else to burn.

I would not be able to warm up it I tried riding using 180 minus age - 110 beats . I consider any training  session a failure when my average is below 140 beats and when I don't get it up above 160.

The low heart rate training, as prescribed by Dr Maffetone, is all about stimulating the aerobic system to reach its absolute maximum potential. Your sentiment, that you can't train that slow, is shared by most of his new clients, and it runs like a refrain through his book on endurance training and racing. What happens after weeks of training at this low heart rate is that the pace picks up while the heart rate remains in the aerobic zone.

Like I stated in a previous post, I haven't done any structured training for an extended period of time. My recent attempts at returning to a fitter and healthier me failed due to injuries and or sickness as I tried to reach my previous levels to fast. My stress levels in my business is currently at a very high point. I have found in the past that frequent anaerobic training sessions added more stress. I enjoy the simplicity that my current low impact training regimen lends to my life.

Furthermore I find it quite difficult to raise my heart rate to anaerobic levels if my carb intake is as low as it currently is. Anaerobic metabolism requires glycogen to produce power in muscles. Very low carb intake leads to low levels of glycogen in the liver and muscles.

I except that low intensity training is not for everyone. If ones aerobic engine is developed to its max, I suppose there's not a lot to be gained by training slow. For me, at the moment, I feel I have a lot to gain. It is one long experiment on myself, and I wil be more than happy to report back, at regular intervals, about the success (or failure) of my attemt.

I except that low intensity training is not for everyone. If ones aerobic engine is developed to its max, I suppose there's not a lot to be gained by training slow. For me, at the moment, I feel I have a lot to gain. It is one long experiment on myself, and I wil be more than happy to report back, at regular intervals, about the success (or failure) of my attemt.

Yeah, and of course that bit about heart rate declining at 1 beat per minute  every year does not apply to those who have trained regularly over the years (use it or lose it)

In 1970 I underwent some stress tests on a bicycle ergometer at the Chamber of Mines Human science Laboratory and my max heart rate was then found to be 188bpm.

In the intervening years I done a lot of regular training and racing and in December recorded 174bpm on a night ride up the Soutpansberg , and I got 178bpm in May last year on a 106km road ride going over the mountain pass at the end of the ride.    So maybe my Max heart rate has dropped 10 beats in 48 years - one beat every 5 years.

Weekly update:

So my weight has come down again by 1kg since last week. As i mentioned last week however, i have started weight training so not worried about slow weight-loss anymore as I am tracking my cm lost. I have nearly dropped 2 belt sizes since January. The big positive, I can see such a difference in lean muscle on my body, bicep bulges, chest etc. Had a body composition assessment performed end of last week and i am on 22% body fat. a far cry from roughly 40% 15 months ago.

this week is all about being successful in diet and training. As much as everything is going well, I am becoming very impatient. I want more results, in a much shorter time. I just need to trust the diet, trust the training and trust the process... it will come...

Weekly update:

So my weight has come down again by 1kg since last week. As i mentioned last week however, i have started weight training so not worried about slow weight-loss anymore as I am tracking my cm lost. I have nearly dropped 2 belt sizes since January. The big positive, I can see such a difference in lean muscle on my body, bicep bulges, chest etc. Had a body composition assessment performed end of last week and i am on 22% body fat. a far cry from roughly 40% 15 months ago.

this week is all about being successful in diet and training. As much as everything is going well, I am becoming very impatient. I want more results, in a much shorter time. I just need to trust the diet, trust the training and trust the process... it will come...

LEKKER!

I'm signing up for gym again this week. Let it lapse last year when things got a bit toight. 

LEKKER!

I'm signing up for gym again this week. Let it lapse last year when things got a bit toight. 

Awesome! I must admit, I am starting to get very addicted to lifting weights! Every night I look forward to those dumbbells in the gym! :ph34r:  

flip to much cake for two birthdays this weekend.

and now I am sick and cannot ride :(

having to dig deep to even do work. hopefully the boss pulls out the whip at the 11am meeting. need someone else to motivate me today

Weekly update:

As they say, 'get strong in the gym, lose weight in the kitchen', so with the lean tissue changes you're seeing, yet only gaining 1kg, it's a lot more likely you've gained a fair bit more than than in lean tissue - think fat/muscle swapping.

as in life, it's a process. we don't let our bodies go to wreck and ruin a week, it takes time, so expecting the reverse to be quick is unrealistic. patience, persistence and perseverance... you'll get there.  :thumbup:

flip to much cake for two birthdays this weekend.

and now I am sick and cannot ride :(

having to dig deep to even do work. hopefully the boss pulls out the whip at the 11am meeting. need someone else to motivate me today

move you fingers...move you toes...if they move without restriction...be grateful that you are blessed...get up walk outside and and take a deep breath...smile and  greet someone...you are alive...the clock is ticking...dont waste it. 

eat the cake...be happy but know that it comes with a penalty.

I had a SLICE of cake from Cheesecake factory over the weekend. This thing is called the chocolate truffel tower. It is a masterpiece. Chocolaty goodness, moist(hehehehe) and rich. A whole 1900 kcal in this marvelous creation. Stil paying on the scale but man I had to get that out of my system. I had a propper *** off on the stairs yesterday and a lekker gym today. I like how I can feel I’m getting stronger. Lekker guys! Enjoy the week!

I have just celebrated my lowest weight in 5 years with a Burger and chips and two pints of Jack Black at the Foundry and a big Tex from the Shell garage on my wsy home.....

Hahaha! Nice! Thats like me celebrating not smoking for a month with a cherry cigar. It also put me off of smoking again. Edited by Pieter1