Hardtail or Full Suspension

jimmi

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 days and 900km in the saddle - no question in my mind: dual suspension. I think the only people who ride the Epic on a hardtail are ones that only have a hardtail, or are suckers for punishment.

Funnily enough hardtail actually grew in popularity in 2017 after declining yearly from 2012 to 2016 maybe this signals a comeback to hardtail ? If you ride the Epic I don't think budget is an issue.

As much as I enjoy my hardtail for my type of riding, I think the Epic calls for a dual suss.  Not even the top 10 pros are on hardtails, so no matter how competitive you think you want to be, take your lead from them.

Sure, there might be a case to make for less maintenance, maybe, but it is the Epic, it's gonna cost you in any case, so just go for the full suss and enjoy the ride.

I did the Epic on a hardtail. My partner too.

Bad idea. We both regretted the decision.

Buy a duallie. If you're not competitive make it a 120mm.

What was the worst/most difficult part of doing it on a HT?

I am planning on doing it on my HT (I dont have another bike), but I wont be out racing, so it will not be max effort day in and out

What was the worst/most difficult part of doing it on a HT?

I am planning on doing it on my HT (I dont have another bike), but I wont be out racing, so it will not be max effort day in and out

Lower back mostly.

It got sore after 4 hours riding on Day 1 then 3 hours on Day 2 then 2 hours on Day 3 then it just hurt the last few days.

I do have a tendency to get lower back pain after tons and tons of climbing but I've done loads of climbing since the Epic on a duallie and it is WAY WAY better.

I don't think intensity changes the affects - time in the saddle is what irritates the lower back.

I would try and source a duallie if I were you. You'll enjoy it way more.

Lower back mostly.

It got sore after 4 hours riding on Day 1 then 3 hours on Day 2 then 2 hours on Day 3 then it just hurt the last few days.

I do have a tendency to get lower back pain after tons and tons of climbing but I've done loads of climbing since the Epic on a duallie and it is WAY WAY better.

I don't think intensity changes the affects - time in the saddle is what irritates the lower back.

Pffft.. Sounds to me like you're just soft.

Lower back mostly.

Thanks for the feedback

First choice for me would be a duallie, but having just moved house its hard to see where to get cash to source a duallie