Best place to buy cycling apparel?

duanelr

How much do you pay for import tax?

If it is from China and a small packet (i.e. one shirt) the post office only charges a R25 fee.

They are allowed to charge 100 percent of the item price, this hardly ever happens.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bibs and tops 45%

Socks 30-45% depending on material

Gloves 30%

Shoes 30%

Helmets 25%

All the above plus 15.4% for vat and handling.

Try Ciovita in Cape Town. They ship quickly and sizing is based on our sizes.

Similar sized to First Ascent and Anatomic. As an example I take a medium Ciovita and a large in Assos, Castelli etc.

Has anyone tried the First Ascent or Capstone shorts from Sportsman's Warehouse?

Yes, I've tried both the cheapest Capestorm stuff and the high-end First Ascent gear. In my opinion/experience, the Capestorm stuff is terrible (padding, comfort, durability i.e stitching, wear all suck) - I would/did not buy them again.

The high-end First Ascent stuff is great though. I found them comparable to my Ciovita bib, using them on rides of up to 5 hours over 9 months and they've held up well too. I've never used Assos or done rides more than 5 hours at a stretch.

I must add however that the high-end First Ascent stuff is not exactly cheap (bibs R1,500+) - its the same price as Ciovita. The First Ascent clothes are however cheaper than "professional" stuff my LBS sells and its convenient - sportsman's warehouse is 5 minutes from my house :).

Hi Hubbers,

So my riding frequency has increased and thus I need more jerseys and riding pants.

Where is the best place to buy cycling apparel?

Looking for best prices.

Shopping online or in store, doesn't matter.

Thanks

You would be well advised to take Patchelicious and Eddy's advice to heart because it's really good advice. Essentially don't skimp on quality in order to have quantity.

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried the First Ascent or Capstone shorts from Sportsman's Warehouse?

First Ascent is very good. Same can be said for Indola and Fox. Capestorm is good if you're on a really tight budget but otherwise I would recommend First Ascent, Indola and Fox if buying from Sportsman's.

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

Have to go try on,

Wouldnt buy online as the sizes are a bit of a mare.

Normally wear a medium, bought sportful bibs and had to buy XL, they are still pretty tight.

Pearl Izumi bibs, think were medium.

Old Capestorm bibs were baggy in medium size.

Shirts too, think it depends on where they are made.

Question..... what is a 'good Price'?? i went to the finni site and their shirts Range from 1k+ ? Im new to the sport and have no gear. Im using my Running shorts and shirts atm which are way cheaper than some prices ive seen for bibs , shirts etc. Is 1k the standard price for decent cycling apparel?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

A lot! Don’t import, Lexx and his guys will get you.

In basic terms, double the price.

I once had to pay R8500 for 1 x Rapha top, 1 x Rapha bib and a pair of socks when I imported it via DHL.

It resulted in my biggest Hub melt down ever, but it’s the rules and we must just be educated about it... buy local, support your LBS if they help you with trying on kit.

Edited by Patchelicious

Question..... what is a 'good Price'?? i went to the finni site and their shirts Range from 1k+ ? Im new to the sport and have no gear. Im using my Running shorts and shirts atm which are way cheaper than some prices ive seen for bibs , shirts etc. Is 1k the standard price for decent cycling apparel?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

The BikeHub Ciovita kit is less than that and it’s good!

A lot! Don’t import, Lexx and his guys will get you.

In basic terms, double the price.

I once had to pay R8500 for 1 x Rapha top, 1 x Rapha bib and a pair of socks when I imported it via DHL.

It resulted in my biggest Hub melt down ever, but it’s the rules and we must just be educated about it... buy local, support your LBS if they help you with trying on kit.

Blikkies en boontjiesop!  :eek:

I would have liked a Rapha/Black Sheep top, but oh well not going to happen in a million year for that price.

No worries then, I'll see if I can get a Ciovita BikeHub top.

The BikeHub Ciovita kit is less than that and it’s good!

is it possible to try it on somewhere ?  Any local shops that stock it ?

Aliexpress kit is 12 to 14 USD. For that price you can pay the import duty. Postage is included. You can get jerseys that look similar to national team jerseys. Other very cool kits. Quality is good too.

Blikkies en boontjiesop! :eek:

I would have liked a Rapha/Black Sheep top, but oh well not going to happen in a million year for that price.

No worries then, I'll see if I can get a Ciovita BikeHub top.

If you really want Rapha PM me ;)

Lots of good advice here. 

When living in SA I would go try out some brands in a bike shop to get an idea for sizing. Always made sure to buy something while there as a thank you. 

Then waited for friends or relatives coming back from over seas to bring kit back home! 

Also ordered some Vermarc kit from Bicyclegear, the relax bib is a great investment.