When wheels go BOOOOM!!!

Squier

Jeez man that's hectic. Have you managed to clean the inside of the car yet?

PS: LOL I dig your style of writing, funny stuff.

No, I've underestimated the stickyness of Stan's. I'm not even getting it off the outside of the car!

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This has got to be the best story so far this year ... I truly had a good laugh at your description :clap: :clap:

Sorry about your rim... something really doesn't look kosher there. Maybe worth taking it to Fulcrum for a closer inspection and a possible warranty.... and a valet of your car

Thanks!

I've taken it back to Fulcrum. According to them it's over inflation. I disagree, but there's no way to prove that the tyre was inflated 3.5 bar. So, unfortunately the rim is a write off.

I seat tubeless tyres almost daily, with a floor pump or small pressurised aluminium cylinder pumped to 5 bar (It's only 3 liters in volume, so gets a 29er tyre up to about 2 bar)

Luckily I've never been unfortunate enough to experience this.....

Jor!!!! Sorry for your loss!!!!

I inflate my rear tyre to 3~3.2bar all the time. Stoke told me the other day, I am lucky that it doesnt go boom, I was puzzled!!!

I once had a bmx tyre continue inflating after I removed the garage pump. Dont ask me how it did that, but it stopped as soon as the tube burst.

Eina, brilliantly written...

Stans is a bit of a Mothertrucker to get off anywhere, I still have staining on my workshop floor from dripped stans... 

Also the cloth I used to wipe the rim down with also now only gets used when I replace stans...

Glad you lived to tell the tale.. :thumbup:

I am getting funny looks here in the office because of my laughing.

Very muc mixed emotions here.  From  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  to  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:

I don't use sealant.  Thorns are more a thing for the African bush than the German forests.

I did however had a tyre blowout while pumping it on the balcony.  It was a religious holiday here (read the town is so quite even the birds whisper and the roll up the streets). It was soon after we got here and unpacked the container.  Was putting my wifes road bike together and when I pumped the tyres up at to almost 8 bar when the one tube decided to call it a day.  Blew the tyre off the rim.  Other than my ears singing and the wife almost lifted off the bed (bedroom windows was close to the balcony), I think the birds declared the town a no-fly zone for a week.

No, I've underestimated the stickyness of Stan's. I'm not even getting it off the outside of the car!

You won't get it out of any woven or "fluffy" type of material. I got a drop on a pair of "suade" office shoes a while back. I redid my tubeless at home in my work clothes. Can't get it out, that latex bonds with the material.

Yeah that stuff is sticky. I had a sidewall puncture once that cut a training ride short at modder. Got to the car and put the bike on the bike rack. I have a bakkie with an armadillo. The racks sit above the armadillo. Some sealant leaked onto the armadillo. It was a night ride and I never realised till the next day. I eventually got it all off but it has left a mark.

Glad you are ok, albeit covered in stans!

You should never have to go to that pressure. Tyres should fully seat at a maximum of 2,5bar.

The max rated pressure on my Roval Control SL rim is 3,1 bar.

This cycling thing, never boring I tell you.

So, it's a sunny Friday afternoon and an extra fun one as I picked up a shiny new Ardent Race tyre to pop on my rear wheel before Tankwa Trek.

I get home, pop the old tyre off, pop the new one on, add some sealant and, as pomping is not my forte, quickly drive to the Engen Garage around the corner to seat the wheel on the rim. At the garage I pump the wheel 3.5 bar, as is my usual method of making sure the tyre is seated, spin it for a while to get the sealant to spread in the wheel, placed it on the back seat and drove back home. Easy as pie.

I arrived home to our leafy, green, tranquil suburb 5 minutes later knowing that once I put my wheel back on my bike it's beer o' clock by the pool. I get out, open the driver side rear door and as I touch my wheel there is an explosion akin to what I imagine Nagasaki and Hiroshima combined sounded like.

Stunned and disoriented I look up to see my kids come running out of the house. Their mouths are moving but their voices mum. A bewildered flock of hadedas flies up from the trees behind me trying to escape what must've to them sounded like the start of World War lll. I can see their beaks moving but all I hear is an incessant ringing in my ears. As I wait for the color to return to my sight I realize that the lack of color is due to my immediate surroundings being stained in Stan's white. The only thing no longer white is my underpants.

My rim had exploded. The tyre had some damage to the bead, but looked fine, but my month old Fulcrum rim was FUBAR.

It's now 3 weeks later and I'm slowly starting to recover from the shell shock. This wasn't the first time I changed a tubeless tyre, but it must probably was the last.

0d31f6bc80e88701e41ef7b82ec7bf10.jpg81edc1455988570f890c04cd1fb16ed2.jpg

I am so sorry man..but woow you are such a good narrator, do you write books by any chance? I would love to read your material.

Had the same happen to me,

I had just put on a new tyre at the LBS and decide to put the wheel behind me on the back seat and head home.

Then get caught in a Guateng traffic jam for over an hour in 30 plus degree heat, turns out its a JMPD road block and I get chosen to check outstanding fines so delayed even longer.

I get the all clear and I pull off not even 200 meters from the roadblock the tyre decides to let go with a load bang I crap myself quickly look in the side mirror not sure what I was expecting to see maybe a JMPD officer pointing a firearm in my direction?

See nothing so I pull over for the heart rate to recover and look over my shoulder to find latex all over the back of the car. Fortunately the seats are leather so managed to get most of it clean but still have some stuck in the headliner.  

Edited by 5TU

Had the same happen to me,

I had just put on a new tyre at the LBS and decide to put the wheel behind me on the back seat and head home.

Then get caught in a Guateng traffic jam for over an hour in 30 plus degree heat, turns out its a JMPD road block and I get chosen to check outstanding fines so delayed even longer.

I get the all clear and I pull off not even 200 meters from the roadblock the tyre decides to let go with a load bang I crap myself quickly look in the side mirror not sure what I was expecting to see maybe a JMPD officer pointing a firearm in my direction?

See nothing so I pull over for the heart rate to recover and look over my shoulder to find latex all over the back of the car. Fortunately the seats are leather so managed to get most of it clean but still have some stuck in the headliner.  

Would have been funnier if it had happened whilst the officer was busy with you...