The Over 50's Support Thread.

Bonus

A visit to Dr Death....  he is a great cardiologist.

Dr Wouter Basson Cardiology
Telephone +27 21 979 0910 Address 4b Lompre House Loerie Park,

15 Paul Kruger Street,

Durbanville, 7550 Location Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Thanx. I also have a sneaky suspicion something odd is going on with my ticker. But only under certain conditions. Which is why I am playing it safe with the W2W this weekend looking at the temps.

My doc did a normal EKG while I was lying on the consultation room bed, and the waveform analysis and all that showed no warning signs. Everything normal. But something is causing my heart-rate to climb fast when it's hot.

BTW, I do not see myself as overweight. I am at 85kg and 1.82m tall.

Edited by Moridin

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

........Any ideas?

In very hot weather ones heart rate can easily be 10 beats per minute faster than it would be for the same effort in lower temperatures. How much higher is considered normal? I don't know. But if you feel weak and sick as well, then I would worry too and try get to the bottom of it. If it never used to be like that and something changed, it could also be a reason to have it checked out. We are no longer at an age where niggles can be ignored as unimportant. :(  

In very hot weather ones heart rate can easily be 10 beats per minute faster than it would be for the same effort in lower temperatures. How much higher is considered normal? I don't know. But if you feel weak and sick as well, then I would worry too and try get to the bottom of it. If it never used to be like that and something changed, it could also be a reason to have it checked out. We are no longer at an age where niggles can be ignored as unimportant. :(  

Never used to have this problem. It reared its ugly head early last year at the 99er MTB race. Thought nothing of it then, just thought I was undertrained. Then at last year's W2W on that hot Monday. Definitely was not under trained then.

Thanx. I also have a sneaky suspicion something odd is going on with my ticker. But only under certain conditions. Which is why I am playing it safe with the W2W this weekend looking at the temps.

My doc did a normal EKG while I was lying on the consultation room bed, and the waveform analysis and all that showed no warning signs. Everything normal. But something is causing my heart-rate to climb fast when it's hot.

I am 90%... Wouter will find it.

• 1 month later...

Heading into winter but so far so good on the health front. Having said that, the temp has been pretty comfortable so far....let's see how things go when it gets properly cold.

One is never to old to try something new hey. Just entered a 24 hour off road trail race although one does not strictly have to run for 24 hours unless one seriously wants to win,

Make sure you find what's causing the problem. Four days after getting a 110% all clear from a cardiologist after doing a stress ecg, sonar and blood I suffered a serious heart attack. Four stents later I am happy to be alive and well. Dr that did the stents said I am a very lucky man. I just dont trust an ECG any more

• 1 month later...

I posted a piece about a friend of ours who just passed away on the "Bonus & Wendys Big Adventure" Thread.

He's the second male friend of ours, both aged 59, who've died in the last year of heart issues.

In the first case there was some warning previously. In this last case my friend passed a full medical 2 weeks ago!

Be careful with yourselves as you get older guys & girls. 

I did Baberton mtb 77km race on Saturday.

We don't have long climbs like that here so it was a shock to my system. 

So I rode within my comfort zone - HR average was 152 (I can still get it to 195) - and whenever it got too high I stopped for a minute or two. I never felt shattered or out of breath.

These days as soon as I start feeling really nauseous and dizzy I call it quits. Don't care what anybody says.

You should not be feeling nauseous and dizzy... listen to your body and find the issue....

This is free advice - it will save you time, money and heartbreak later if you do it now.

You should not be feeling nauseous and dizzy... listen to your body and find the issue....

This is free advice - it will save you time, money and heartbreak later if you do it now.

Yup, I must make a plan to get to that Cardiologist that you recommended.

These days as soon as I start feeling really nauseous and dizzy I call it quits. Don't care what anybody says.

Please listen to V12man........i am very angry with myself for not getting a second opinion to get my Heart sorted out 5 years ago , i am a new person after my procedure , JUST DO IT !!!!