The Over 50's Support Thread.

Bonus

Well I have crossed some sort of imaginary line, went for a hearing test and well I need a hearing aid.....aging ain’t for sissies but on the up side I have good health and the sun is shining.

The other advantage is that I no longer put up with ppls ***, ain’t got time for that...am I becoming a cantankerous old Bastid, probably. ;)

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have crossed some sort of imaginary line, went for a hearing test and well I need a hearing aid.....aging ain’t for sissies but on the up side I have good health and the sun is shining.

The other advantage is that I no longer put up with ppls ***, ain’t got time for that...am I becoming a cantankerous old Bastid, probably. ;)

But ..... do u really need one?

How do u manage to cope at the moment without one?

But ..... do u really need one?

How do u manage to cope at the moment without one?

Well, looking at the results from the audio test I def do need them. How have I coped, don’t know I guess one adapts to surroundings etc. my right ear is vastly worse than my left one ear so I always been seated to the right of ppl wherever possible to ensure I hear. How it caught up with me is my new job which requires a lot of teleconferences as team members are around the globe. Found myself battling to hear clearly. It’s not a volume thing it’s a clarity thing. Makes sense cos I would go to movies where the volume is loud but sometimes would battle to hear properly.

To be fair, I have been in noisy environs a lot in my life, playing in bands, listening to metal at high volumes, sound work, riding motorcycles long distance without earplugs etc etc and I guess some heridatry factors. I can’t complain really.

On the upside, getting new wheels today. And scored a big luck. When I bought my bike Giant were counting stock, the system showed there was stock and Giant ended up selling the 2 bikes they had 6 times over. So, long story short they upgrading me to a model that costs 1000 pounds more for freeeee. Problem is I am going to look like a racer but slow like a slug.

"On the upside, getting new wheels today. And scored a big luck. When I bought my bike Giant were counting stock, the system showed there was stock and Giant ended up selling the 2 bikes they had 6 times over. So, long story short they upgrading me to a model that costs 1000 pounds more for freeeee." 

Here in good 'ole RSA, they would have just said to you "tough titty, you want your money back?"

Congrats with the "free upgrade" And strongs with the hearing aids.

Wendy's dad often switches off his hearing aid when he gets bored with what's going on around him :-)

My old man does this when he is tired of listening to my mother..

He has a point... on occasion.

Beautiful poem by Mario de Andrade (San Paolo 1893-1945) Poet, novelist, essayist and musicologist.

One of the founders of Brazilian modernism. He may as well have called it ''Thoughts on turning 42''

MY SOUL HAS A HAT

I counted my years and realized that I have less time to live by, than I have lived so far.

I feel like a child who won a pack of candies: at first he ate them with pleasure but when he realized that there was little left, he began to taste them intensely.

I have no time for endless meetings where the statutes, rules, procedures and internal regulations are discussed, knowing that nothing will be done.

I no longer have the patience to stand absurd people who, despite their chronological age, have not grown up.

My time is too short: I want the essence, my spirit is in a hurry. I do not have much candy in the package anymore.

I want to live next to humans, very realistic people who know how to laugh at their mistakes and who are not inflated by their own triumphs and who take responsibility for their actions. In this way, human dignity is defended and we live in truth and honesty.

It is the essentials that make life useful.

I want to surround myself with people who know how to touch the hearts of those whom hard strokes of life have learned to grow with sweet touches of the soul.

Yes, I'm in a hurry. I'm in a hurry to live with the intensity that only maturity can give.

I do not intend to waste any of the remaining desserts. I am sure they will be exquisite, much more than those eaten so far.

My goal is to reach the end satisfied and at peace with my loved ones and my conscience.

We have two lives and the second begins when you realize you only have one.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, 50 year old mind in a 20 year old body...... :devil:

the mirror in the bathroom always spoils my day...finish my ride in the morning ...shower and as i jump out the shower feeling on top of the world ...i see this old guy staring back at me :( ...full of scars and wrinkles...balding scalp...droopy eyelids...grey hair.

My old man does this when he is tired of listening to my mother..

He has a point... on occasion.

I heard men generally gets hearing loss in the left ear... all the noise coming from the passenger side... :ph34r: 

Funny story - we go for full medicals when visiting mines etc which also include a hearing test. One of my colleagues got his hearing test and it showed his left ear significantly lower. He went home with proof to his wife - she did not have much to say in return with medical proof in front of her :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  However he also got the silent treatment for a while - double bonus! :P