The Over 50's Support Thread.

Bonus

Ah, the over 50's club! I'm enjoying the membership so far.

Like some else mentioned, I too spend more time on the adventure bike than the bicycle these days.

I tell myself that a 300 km dirt ride trying to be quick is an upper body work out.......I am sticking to this story!

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did my 1st Argus at 35 doing my 27th this year all done on the same bike except for the first.

Bane of my life is my riding friend who does the top corner of Fire Hut Trail eyes closed and I struggle to keep up with him. Age 71.

Joy of my life is to be able to ride with my 27yr old son and keep up. He's faster downhill yes.

Can totally relate to the reading glasses scattered all over the house but I still prefer my baggies over lycra albeit with a bib underneath for the longer rides. Child of 1967.

Nothing wrong with being over 50 and enjoying what you do!

As for me 50+ a couple of years, train more now both cycling and triathlons, did my first 70.3 in 2015, don't really train for them now, just do them because of the fitness levels and beat many half my age! In fact did my first full ironman last year in a very respectable and competitive time of sub 12hrs (aiming for sub 11hrs this year)

Same with road running which is getting big in Gauteng, so there is at least a 21km 2-3 weekends in a month. It is considered more of a social thing to do on a Sunday morning, and that is usually after a 100km+ ride on the Saturday.

Whereas in my youth I would likely be leaving a nightclub at 4am am now getting up to train or race lol

Probably more fitter and healthy now than in my younger years even though was competitive in sports back then.

Just enjoy what you do, at our age life is to be enjoyed more.... and grow old gracefully with a smile :)

Still my biggest gripe with 50+... jeez, the frustration...

I must own about 20 pairs of glasses... one for the computer currently on my face, reading glasses in bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, each car, the garage/workshop... and all over, another "further-looking"-pair next to bed for watching tv, and the multifocals I wear everywhere else...

And I am forever looking for the damn things... I'm also sounding like the old oom...

Friday I knock at the 49 door. I must admit that the freaking SD eyes that were installed at some time while I was sleeping are a absolute nightmare... Even more so than the multifocals. Glasses every more. Scared to count as there might be more reading glasses scattered around than drinking glasses in the kitchen.

Saddest is I've moved to Parys and the Master Blaster ain't no more. :(

A thread where you can come for support on your "off" days . . .

Despite my dashing good looks and my child-like attitude to most things in life . . .  I passed 50 a couple of years ago.

When you're young "it never gets any easier, but you do get faster"  :D

After 50 "it never gets any easier, but you do get slower!"  :(

I'm about to dig the bikes out after 6 weeks of winter hibernation and the first few rides ain't gonna be pretty.

post-86802-0-04247500-1519067815_thumb.png

Born in 65'... Did a trade in for a 22 year old ( as old as the women you feel) ...the problem with getting a youngling...they still want a family...when I picked up my daughter at holiday care...my gran kids shout grandpa and my daughter shouts daddy... Eeeeish you wanna see the look I get [emoji12]

The problem with mirrors in the house...you are quickly reminded of your age...pity you can't get one like those ones which make you look thinner or fatter...to make you look younger.

Born in 65'... Did a trade in for a 22 year old ( as old as the women you feel) ...the problem with getting a youngling...they still want a family...when I picked up my daughter at holiday care...my gran kids shout grandpa and my daughter shouts daddy... Eeeeish you wanna see the look I get [emoji12]

The problem with mirrors in the house...you are quickly reminded of your age...pity you can't get one like those ones which make you look thinner or fatter...to make you look younger.

I have the same problem. Even my kid calls me grandpa these days. ;).