The Over 50's Support Thread.

Bonus

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A question for all you other old ballies...eye sight...i am sure we all sit with the same problem...the newspaper ends up with a full extended arm to try read the small print.

we start with the .50 and by the time you hit your 50 + you flying down the hill so fast you are already on 2.50 with a full extended arm.

what i would like to know is how have you fellas sorted out this issue?

do you just do what i do and have 10 pairs of the cheapies from Diskem or Clicks all over the house/car/office?

or did you go to the eye people and have your eyes tested properly and get (at 50 + there is a good chance you are already onto bifocals) the correct glasses?

does also drive you nuts putting them on and taking them off.

someone mentioned i should get bifocal contact lenses.

another suggested i get those stick on reading lenses (bit steep at around R400 + postage) stick them on the phone and when i need to use them  while on the bicycle for example...i could just pop them on the riding glasses...then i will be able to read the garmin screen...lucky for me i can still see the single HR screen...which is all I need to see...when my HR hits 197 bpm its time to back off.

A question for all you other old ballies...eye sight...i am sure we all sit with the same problem...the newspaper ends up with a full extended arm to try read the small print.

we start with the .50 and by the time you hit your 50 + you flying down the hill so fast you are already on 2.50 with a full extended arm.

do you just do what i do and have 10 pairs of the cheapies from Diskem or Clicks all over the house/car/office?

or did you go to the eye people and have your eyes tested properly and get (at 50 + there is a good chance you are already onto bifocals) the correct glasses?

another suggested i get those stick on reading lenses (bit steep at around R400 + postage) stick them on the phone and when i need to use them  while on the bicycle for example...i could just pop them on the riding glasses...then i will be able to read the garmin screen...lucky for me i can still see the single HR screen...which is all I need to see...when my HR hits 197 bpm its time to back off.

I got myself some sunglasses at Dischem which has built-in reading glasses that works VERY well for my cycling needs. It cost about R140 and they're on the same rack where the other normal clear reading glasses is. I can even see 3 fields on my Garmin Edge now! :thumbup: 

I turned 55 yesterday, and my son and I went out for a ride from Sasolburg to Parys and back, which is almost exactly a 80km round trip. We pushed it a bit, seeing it will be our last longish distance before the CTCT. Our bicycles are going down to CT this Thursday. We did it in under 3 hours, and I got 13 trophies on Strava! 10 of them was PRs. I was quite chuffed with myself! :clap: Ha Ha!

I turned 55 yesterday, and my son and I went out for a ride from Sasolburg to Parys and back, which is almost exactly a 80km round trip. We pushed it a bit, seeing it will be our last longish distance before the CTCT. Our bicycles are going down to CT this Thursday. We did it in under 3 hours, and I got 13 trophies on Strava! 10 of them was PRs. I was quite chuffed with myself! :clap: Ha Ha!

Nice one!

You have my sympathies, my dad had this problem with needing 2 pairs of specs his whole life...

My wife now has a similar problem now in her early 50's

Always had perfect eye sight

Now she need glasses to read stuff close up, still see's fine on longer distances.

She went to the local optician and got bifocal specs to work with.

I'm short sighted and used to wear glasses and then hard contacts in my teenage through to late twenties. Went for laser surgery in the late 90's and chucked all my lenses and specs away. Fantastic for sport.

One eye is slightly short sighted and the other slightly long, together they work well but heaven forbid something happens to one of them...

I'm turning 54 this year and suspect that i will need to get some specs for driving at night sometime soon....

Edited by SwissVan

I am wearing glasses from a very early age 5/6 years old. Then had 2 operation to shorten the muscle to straighten my eyes. Kept on wearing glassing the whole time. Since turning 50 in 2016 i am on 2 pair of glasses, 1 for regular use and 1 for reading. Both these glasses gas prescription lenses. My reason for not going the bifocal route is because i am not old enough.....( i keep on telling myself)

the other option is to get wrap around glasses like  oakley and fit a tight strap so they can sit on my head or drop onto my neck...but not hang loose like some ballies wear them...on that thin strap.

the other option is to get wrap around glasses like  oakley and fit a tight strap so they can sit on my head or drop onto my neck...but not hang loose like some ballies wear them...on that thin strap.

I use the stick-ons and they work fine for me. Also utilize the thin string to enable me to ride without using the glasses.

The string thing is great because the glasses are always on hand at all times.

watching a tips video the other day...after we had the incident where we didnt have a quick link removing tool...take a shoelace/soft wire of sorts...wrap it through the link and pull tight...it unclips the link.

will certainly be adding a piece of string to my already loaded saddled bag. 

'67...the year that saw the first heart transplant. ..and classics like the Mustang and GTO muscle cars were born....I see myself as a classic muscle car....some good days were all cylinders are firing ...and some days where I break down and some tinkering is required. ..????

The first Mustang came out in '65 (64 1/2 According to the historians) but I know how you feel. The 67 fastbacks were also nice.

'67...the year that saw the first heart transplant. ..and classics like the Mustang and GTO muscle cars were born....I see myself as a classic muscle car....some good days were all cylinders are firing ...and some days where I break down and some tinkering is required. ..

I'm '62.. don't even know what happened that year...

More like some '62 John Deere diesel tractor... (kinda built like one as well come to think of it...)

Takes me at least 20k's/1 hr to get legs&lungs going, but then I can happily putter along for hours and hours...

F....all speed though...

Edited by Warthog

I'm '62.. don't even know what happened that year...

More like some '62 John Deere diesel tractor... (kinda built like one as well come to think of it...)

Takes me at least 20k's/1 hr to get legs&lungs going, but then I can happily putter along for hours and hours...

F....all speed though...

I am with you on this. Takes me plenty k's to warm/loosen up. I will stick you one year though. Not too sure about the build - more like a diesel Uno I would think.

Speed? What's that?

Edited by Sepia

http://www.tyleroptix.co.za/

Re. bifocals and cycling:

I got a pair of these Tyler Optics bifocal sunglasses at the Argus expo a few years ago. Think I paid about 450 bucks for them and they work perfectly. They got a bit more expensive since then, but still a good buy methinks.