The Over 50's Support Thread.

Bonus

Those "I'll just lay here a while" moments. Thankfully not too many for me but it happens.

Happened with me on the Porcupine Ridge race a few weeks ago. Few dents in the helmet left over. Roasties already healed.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those "I'll just lay here a while" moments. Thankfully not too many for me but it happens.

:D Had a big off 3 years ago on the mountain, front wheel washed out and I smacked into a tree. Jumped right up, tried to dust myself off.....what the hell? Right arm wouldn't move like its supposed to and someone was stabbing me in the neck with a knife........broken collarbone! My riding buddy turned around to check on me. I said, I've broken my collar bone, he laughed and said to stop kidding. Pulled my shirt down to show him the bump and the bone nearly sticking through the skin. Suddenly he was as pale as a Pommie. Since then I lie down a little longer to reassemble my wits before getting up to dust myself off. I suppose it is a reasonable concession to not getting any younger?

It is. A quick "horizontal self inspection" after a spill.

Considering the trails around here includ some pretty tough stuff, which I avoid btw, I rarely hear of any issues.

Every time I climb on the scale, I am a bit heavier, and I don't know why, because I eat less and less. My weight now is 86kgs. I have been at 83kgs for the previous few years.

Off topic, but what type of diet you following?  

Don't feel lonely. I can also be a member of your 60's thread.Also a life long sportsman and did many sports but only start cycling when I turned 40. We ride about 150kms/week - mixture of road and dirt.I started archery with a compound bow 3 years ago and still want to get a kayak

post-52292-0-83800300-1519151031_thumb.jpeg

One of these for my self birthday present this year......also one for the Missus. We have sit on top plastic kayaks which are cool, but these are next level!

'64 model

53 turning 54 in July

< 50 and 51 where fine, but the last year or so I'm starting to feel like I'm 50 and not 30 anymore. 

I keep telling my wife i want a skateboard for xmas / my birthday...she says i'll have to buy my own. So i bought a cheap one at a pawn shop last summer but come summer 2018 i'm going to buy a decent one, for sure.

Just not sure where I'm going to find time for golf, cycling, running and skateboarding...plus I want to learn to surf and then of course some work to pay for all this.

Maybe one day when I'm on pension I'll be able to fit it in  :whistling: 

attachicon.gif5AE861DF-1194-491E-84A2-A3ABB1AD79E3.jpeg

One of these for my self birthday present this year......also one for the Missus. We have sit on top plastic kayaks which are cool, but these are next level!

I always wanted a paddle ski(macski that was a big thing in the late 80's), then 2 years ago bought the plastic fluid kayaks. One seater for my daughter and 2 seater for the wife and me. Its not a paddle ski yet but i am getting there!!!

We bought 2 double kayaks when the boys were about midway through school. The idea was for myself to paddle with the younger one and for my wife to paddle with the older one. I reckoned we would be about equal. Then, on our 1st outing, the boys teamed up and us 2 oldies were forced to paddle together........I saw big trouble up ahead, because we tried riding tandem together and that didn't really work very well........except that we LOVED the double kayak and have now enjoyed doing it together for about 5 years and many an adventure. Never too old or too late to try a new sport. OK, perhaps it is too late for cage fighting?

post-17716-0-29272900-1519188918_thumb.jpg

'67...the year that saw the first heart transplant. ..and classics like the Mustang and GTO muscle cars were born....I see myself as a classic muscle car....some good days were all cylinders are firing ...and some days where I break down and some tinkering is required. ..????

'64 model

53 turning 54 in July

< 50 and 51 where fine, but the last year or so I'm starting to feel like I'm 50 and not 30 anymore. 

I keep telling my wife i want a skateboard for xmas / my birthday...she says i'll have to buy my own. So i bought a cheap one at a pawn shop last summer but come summer 2018 i'm going to buy a decent one, for sure.

Just not sure where I'm going to find time for golf, cycling, running and skateboarding...plus I want to learn to surf and then of course some work to pay for all this.

Maybe one day when I'm on pension I'll be able to fit it in  :whistling:

uhm Switzerland? Lake Geneva must be going off....

when i look back and think of anything i would change...one thing comes to mind...get out and do more shyte...and more and more...plenty time to rest when you are dead. 

i dont allow things to scare me off...people said i should sell my motor bikes...because they are dangerous...the dog with its head out the window comes to mind...do it without regrets...some days i battle to work because my arm doesnt allow me to do certain things...i dont regret falling off the motor bike...i think about all the fun i had while riding it.

which reminds me...best i work harder...i need to plan another Cape town road trip.