Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

Every time I see a Tarentaal, I'm happy to see it because then I know a snake isn't around.

Be wakker.

There's been more space chicken attacks on MTBers than serpent attacks.

Get to close to their small ones, then Mama gets peeved off.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Space chicken ... made me laugh aloud. Been victim to one of those attacks ... fierce beating of wings but completely innefectual. How those creatures have made it this far is the single most powerful piece of evidence against the theory of natural selection.

Be wakker.

There's been more space chicken attacks on MTBers than serpent attacks.

Get to close to their small ones, then Mama gets peeved off.

Please enlighten me.

On the new Contermans Meerendal corridor, who has right of way? Those ascending or descending?

Please enlighten me.

On the new Contermans Meerendal corridor, who has right of way? Those ascending or descending?

Afternoon. That corridor carries traffic up and down yes, and normal sound advise, will be for the slower rider (the one climbing), giving way to the one coming down at speed, with a greater risk of the one coming down at speed, getting into trouble if he loses his way, vs the one going up.

Afternoon. That corridor carries traffic up and down yes, and normal sound advise, will be for the slower rider (the one climbing), giving way to the one coming down at speed, with a greater risk of the one coming down at speed, getting into trouble if he loses his way, vs the one going up.

I always thought the general mtb etiquette is that the rider ascending has right of way? Guess you learn something new everyday.

Honestly, I would have advocated the opposite, as I would have thought that the one who has the easiest option to resume cycling should give way, i.e. the person descending. 

Is this your opinion, or a rule on the trails?

Honestly, I would have advocated the opposite, as I would have thought that the one who has the easiest option to resume cycling should give way, i.e. the person descending. 

Is this your opinion, or a rule on the trails?

The Captain is on the TBMTB committee, so it's the rule on the trails. 

IMBA etiquette favours the ascending rider, UNLESS the trail centre / company dictates otherwise. 

Tokai also has a descenders ROW rule. 

And on this note, thanks to the 2 gents who made way this morning as I came barreling down, at speed, towards Meerendal. 

Stopping would have been very interesting indeed.

And then, saw a big-ass snake on the start of Dorstberg this morning, merely lazing in the sun, having a bit of a tan. It took a moment to decide if it was going to hang around, or leave.

It left, thankfully. I suspect Cobra, but it could also have been a Mole snake. They are very hard to differentiate if Mr. Cobra does not make a hood.

IMBA etiquette favours the ascending rider, UNLESS the trail centre / company dictates otherwise.

If the club is overruling general IMBA etiquette for the corridor some sort of signage might be useful to warn the peeps that didn't read this thread?

Morning.  My earlier reply....

("Afternoon. That corridor carries traffic up and down yes, and normal sound advise, will be for the slower rider (the one climbing), giving way to the one coming down at speed, with a greater risk of the one coming down at speed, getting into trouble if he loses his way, vs the one going up.")

.....has reference :

This was merely based on that specific corridor, which is about the only single-track corridor / trail, with elevation, on our current trail network. The trail was only opened about three weeks back, and the soil requires some good water and lots of wheels to properly compact to be fully enjoyed. In its current state it is quite powdery and loose, hence it clearly poses more of a risk for a descending rider with speed / momentum vs an ascending rider at snails pace. Those who have ridden the corridor down will agree, should you be leaving the single-track coming down at a bit of speed, for whatever reason, and push the eject button in the process, it will not be a nice tumble and roll down that steep hillside. 

With reference to IMBA, specifically with their "policy" of ascending riders have "right of way" so to speak. We align ourselves herewith, for the greater part and where possible, but in saying that, we have extremely little dual carriage single-track, and as said, only one basically (this new corridor) which has elevation. For the above reasons, we opt to rather see the rider coming down, as the one who requires "right of way" although perhaps not quite the correct word, as some might see this as an excuse to ride there like most Taxi drivers in SA  :rolleyes: 

We are waiting for our signage for the new Conties to Meerendal Corridor, which will point out that riders need to be aware and respect descending riders on that specific corridor. 

Trust everyone is enjoying the trails, and just on a side note, we have started maintenance already, after a few weeks lay-off for the trail team.

See you guys out there ! 

And let's not forget TBMTB does not follow IMBA rules for trail difficulty grading anyway, so why for other things.

Descending rider should have the right of way IMO. As someone pointed out earlier...when you heading downhill it's often very difficult to stop in a hurry, whereas plopping over while pedaling uphill is easy.

Descending rider should have the right of way IMO. As someone pointed out earlier...when you heading downhill it's often very difficult to stop in a hurry, whereas plopping over while pedaling uphill is easy.

Problem is the highlighted bit, the ascending rider might not be aware of or share your opinion on right of way and follow IMBA guidelines....

Not to be facetious but I think approaching an ascending rider on single track at high speed and assuming that he will give way is a risky choice even if you have right of way. Quite easy to pass him at a moderate speed and easy to go fast again if you are the one going downhill.

Anyway, rules say I must yield to the descending rider so that is what I will do  :thumbup:

I have been seeing skid marks at the top of the little forest section just below Cow Pat Alley at Hillcrest. Seems that some ppl are coming down there. As far as I know this is one-way up?