Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

3 hours ago, marko35s said:

Tokai will be open.

What does it look like there when mildly moist though? Will it be worth getting out my passport to go there? @BikeGenie?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, MORNE said:

What does it look like there when mildly moist though? Will it be worth getting out my passport to go there? @BikeGenie?

@MORNE  there are places locally where you won't need to apply for a visa. You wont be scoffed at for putting fast rubber into hero dirt. (read only what you see, not what i think)

3 hours ago, MORNE said:

A few puddles on the jeep track but little if any standing water or thick mud on the trails - just a few streams to cross usually lower down. 

19 hours ago, MORNE said:

Poor Uk trail builders must have a tough life…

to be fair though, at least in the WC, the rain is like this maybe for a month. We could probably suck it up and do bunny hops in the driveway. But maybe…since we DO have a wet winter here…there could be scope for one or two trails dedicated to sloppy winter fun. Natural trails.  It will focus the mess in one place and provide a new challenge. Maybe there is a purpose for upper Majik afterall👀

Definitely, and these trails exists. Think logged pine forests, natural and rocky trails. 
ie: Grabouw, Tokai, Eden (fallen trees still need to be logged though last time I checked.)

I was out on the Tygerberg trails this morning.

Lots of streams flowing down.

Lots op erosion damage.

Snot glad in many places !!

Every so often standing puddles of water.

Most noticibly .... STICKY mud !!  Riding over this will cause some serious ruts, which when dried out will be bad for the trails.

Sure, many sections have different top soil, some which can handle traffic.

DH-2024-15.jpg.b5f10d8798b2fabc646f5767bc281798.jpg

DH-2024-16.jpg.4daf01e1d0f46fdc88e285ed825d9376.jpg

DH-2024-14.jpg.fe31a37935b621e99633a09ad2dbb9ec.jpg

For those that managed to read this far, I covered 2x5,6km of trails, but not on a bicycle.

20 hours ago, ChrisF said:

I was out on the Tygerberg trails this morning.

Lots of streams flowing down.

Lots op erosion damage.

Snot glad in many places !!

Every so often standing puddles of water.

Most noticibly .... STICKY mud !!  Riding over this will cause some serious ruts, which when dried out will be bad for the trails.

Sure, many sections have different top soil, some which can handle traffic.

DH-2024-15.jpg.b5f10d8798b2fabc646f5767bc281798.jpg

DH-2024-16.jpg.4daf01e1d0f46fdc88e285ed825d9376.jpg

DH-2024-14.jpg.fe31a37935b621e99633a09ad2dbb9ec.jpg

For those that managed to read this far, I covered 2x5,6km of trails, but not on a bicycle.

Chris, all those pics are hand picked though and are also in low lying areas and we all know what most of those farm roads look like even in mild rain. Not all the trails are in these spots though. We also did a 70km gravel ride yesterday and less than 2km looked like this. My bike isnt even dirty…. 

Anyway, for the rest of us🤘

IMG_3149.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

• 1 month later...

So with the weather looking good this weekend, I really want to get back out on the trails. We still have rain till wednesday I think but hopefully dry weather after that.

Taking into account all of this, any suggestions on what the best trail to hit would be? I was at Hoogies couple of weeks back and that farm road before getting to the trails was full of mud. Im assuming going down welvergenoegd by diep river will be clogged as well. Conties perhaps, but cheeky corners was closed last time i went. Not sure about supertubes. I did Hillcrest 2 weeks back and because of the rocky terrain actually had a tumble as the rocks were still damped so slid out. 

So yeah anyone that’s been out recently and can confirm the best trails to hit purely on current trail conditions. I dont really care which farm tbh, Im just desperate to get out but obviously would prefer to skip the trails where more damage was taken.

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

So with the weather looking good this weekend, I really want to get back out on the trails. We still have rain till wednesday I think but hopefully dry weather after that.

Taking into account all of this, any suggestions on what the best trail to hit would be? I was at Hoogies couple of weeks back and that farm road before getting to the trails was full of mud. Im assuming going down welvergenoegd by diep river will be clogged as well. Conties perhaps, but cheeky corners was closed last time i went. Not sure about supertubes. I did Hillcrest 2 weeks back and because of the rocky terrain actually had a tumble as the rocks were still damped so slid out. 

So yeah anyone that’s been out recently and can confirm the best trails to hit purely on current trail conditions. I dont really care which farm tbh, Im just desperate to get out but obviously would prefer to skip the trails where more damage was taken.

I rode up through  the Hillcrest climb having got on the network at the Protea hotel - the mud there had one really bad spot where I put my foot down and sunk to my ankle. I did Supertubes  and it was fine of course  - Cheeky corners was closed so went around and joined happy hops at the bottom.

Was headed through rather than around so didn't do the rest of the network -

After what's happening today and tomorrow weather wise I expect the whole network will be slosh and not rideable.

36 minutes ago, Anthem24 said:

You could head to Vredendal or Riebeek Valley instead for the weekend -- as a Tygerberg member, V&V is free, is it not? https://vinesandviews.co.za/ and the Riebeek Valley one will be a fast gravel grind.

Just an email to the organisers to arrange the entry for Tygerberg club members

Yup, this is off their Instagram

Not only are we offering FREE entry to Tygerberg MTB and Durbanville cycling clubs, but we have expanded our accommodation options significantly to suit every budget – ranging from camping, mid-tier accommodation to elegant B&B’s - there’s something for everyone. Some outlets are also offering discount to participants in Vines & Views.

Please contact us: info@vinesandviews.co.za or WhatsApp 0833059105

It’s also a 600km round trip to make for that event. 

I was kinda hoping to just ride out from my house straight to the trail which are located 10km from my house. 

Almost 500mm of rain on these trails in the last 7 weeks :eek:

Nee kyk, nou kan die somer maar kom !!