Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

A weekly (sometimes unless it's too cold, or there was drizzle) night ride at Bloemendal only and ONLY on the Majik forest side, not on the other side either.

TM night rides are absolutely stunning. The views from up top of Conties and or Hoogies must be amazing at night as well.

Top of hoogies is awesome. Been at the top a few times at sunset. Last was sometime last year, and we got Patrick at the top admiring the sunset.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem with night riding, as spectacular as it is, is that from a land-owner perspective they would not want people on their land after dark. Who knows what they get up to then.

I know this as my dad has a farm. Night time visits without consent as seriously frowned upon,and in days past, has had us patrolling the land with guns...

Problem with night riding, as spectacular as it is, is that from a land-owner perspective they would not want people on their land after dark. Who knows what they get up to then.

I know this as my dad has a farm. Night time visits without consent as seriously frowned upon,and in days past, has had us patrolling the land with guns...

RSa is so full of BS with this. What's your average MTB rider with a spotlight going to do? You're not exactly hidden. Anyone wanting to do something suspicious or illegal is not going to be missioning around with a signal beacon.

Well your okes loss. I basically never ride Tygerberg anymore, this is one of the main reasons (that and moving away from living on Majik forest). If you or anyone is ever keen for a night ride, ping us, we ride TM every Tue and Thu night. Great trails, few berms, interesting riding.

In addition to landowner security, safety to the MTBer would also be a strong consideration.

Nanny-state much?

at 120km of trails that would be an expensive day permit.

Using that reasoning the annual permit should also be ridiculously expensive.

I think in principle that if rules are simple to understand & easy to follow more people will comply and the trails will be more attractive to day visitors (and more money for the club)

Just to be clear - I know mgmt aren't idiots and there are good reasons for the current arrangement. Would have just liked things to be simpler.

Agreed Skubarra. Conties, Hooggekraaland Meerendal manage their own day permit systems. In order to provide a day permit thatcovers all, we'd not only have to cover the full cost of each farm's permit, but also the cost of the transaction and subsequent distribution of fees to each land owner. Much as the club would LOVE to be able to have an inclusive day permit, we just cannot come up with a viable solution which everybody is happy with. Sorry :-(

Nanny-state much?

Oi mate, you seem to have it out for Tygerberg MTB club.

One thing you need to remember is that as a club who is given PERMISSION (I know, it's a foreign concept to you, but bear with me) by landowners to cross their farms, they can't then dictate terms to these same landowners. This is Cape Town, not some remote farm in the Karoo, where you can pretty much do anything (again, within boundaries, which again seems foreign to you) on your own risk provided you have permission from the landowner.

Now, it is all good and well for a rider with a light on to be riding on a trail. But what if the landowner has just had enough of people crisscrossing his farm during the day, and just wants some peace and quiet in the evenings, without the inevitable gang of riders tearing it up on his land? Is he being unreasonable in submitting to your demands?

And then, I am not even talking about folks who could gain access without a light, for more nefarious purposes.

Nanny state you say? That is a direct result of all the PC libtards who sue at the slightest infraction or insult, including if they had to fall off their bikes at night on said trail, and decide to sue the farmer for not having halogen lights on poles at every berm (but then, that would not bother you, as you are clearly above riding a berm).

So as a farmer, it is logical that he would want to protect himself from these self-righteous pompous idiots, hence no access at night.

So, as you say you are so over Tygerberg MTB, why all the fuss? Go tear it up on Table Mountain, and have a jol.

But for the rest who appreciate the access given to them, why make things difficult?

Just curious...

Oi mate, you seem to have it out for Tygerberg MTB club.

One thing you need to remember is that as a club who is given PERMISSION (I know, it's a foreign concept to you, but bear with me) by landowners to cross their farms, they can't then dictate terms to these same landowners. This is Cape Town, not some remote farm in the Karoo, where you can pretty much do anything (again, within boundaries, which again seems foreign to you) on your own risk provided you have permission from the landowner.

Now, it is all good and well for a rider with a light on to be riding on a trail. But what if the landowner has just had enough of people crisscrossing his farm during the day, and just wants some peace and quiet in the evenings, without the inevitable gang of riders tearing it up on his land? Is he being unreasonable in submitting to your demands?

And then, I am not even talking about folks who could gain access without a light, for more nefarious purposes.

Nanny state you say? That is a direct result of all the PC libtards who sue at the slightest infraction or insult, including if they had to fall off their bikes at night on said trail, and decide to sue the farmer for not having halogen lights on poles at every berm (but then, that would not bother you, as you are clearly above riding a berm).

So as a farmer, it is logical that he would want to protect himself from these self-righteous pompous idiots, hence no access at night.

So, as you say you are so over Tygerberg MTB, why all the fuss? Go tear it up on Table Mountain, and have a jol.

But for the rest who appreciate the access given to them, why make things difficult?

Just curious...

look i typed a loooong reply, but maybe I shouldn't as clearly you like to read things into what I say.

Nanny state was clearly directed towards the safety of MTB riders comment. Anyplace where someone else decides whether something is safe for you or not when you can decide yourself is a nanny state.

As for berms? Where did you read that? I'll have you know I ride berms on every ride.

Anyway, invite (even for you) still stands should you wanna come ride TM. Just remember your Activity Permit and climbing legs (because yes, us "pinners" (spit on that term) also go uphill...and quite a bloody lot).

Nanny state was clearly directed towards the safety of MTB riders comment. Anyplace where someone else decides whether something is safe for you or not when you can decide yourself is a nanny state.

Don't really want to get into the merits of allowing riders on the trails at night but surely this is not a rule unique to Tygerberg? How many other trail networks out there allow 24-hour access to the trails?

look i typed a loooong reply, but maybe I shouldn't as clearly you like to read things into what I say.

As for berms? Where did you read that? I'll have you know I ride berms on every ride.

Anyway, invite (even for you) still stands should you wanna come ride TM. Just remember your Activity Permit and climbing legs (because yes, us "pinners" (spit on that term) also go uphill...and quite a bloody lot).

Your post #563 refers

RSa is so full of BS with this. What's your average MTB rider with a spotlight going to do? You're not exactly hidden. Anyone wanting to do something suspicious or illegal is not going to be missioning around with a signal beacon.

Well your okes loss. I basically never ride Tygerberg anymore, this is one of the main reasons (that and moving away from living on Majik forest). If you or anyone is ever keen for a night ride, ping us, we ride TM every Tue and Thu night. Great trails, few berms, interesting riding.

(but also, your post history has highlighted your distaste of berms...be honest now.)

Few berms as in reference to table mountain.

But the berm history is to do with the offering on tygerberg which is dominated by berms. Compared to tokai for example, I reckon there is a balance of berms and bends

Your post #563 refers

(but also, your post history has highlighted your distaste of berms...be honest now.)

No, it hasn't. It's highlighted his distaste for TBMTB's penchant for berming EVERYTHING and having hardly any progressive and / or technically challenging trails. Apart from Cobra, there's hardly anything on the whole network, despite constant request for such trails. The answer is almost always "if you want technicality, ride faster". XCO track not ignored. 

Not quite sure I agree with you on this.

This IS RSA afterall.

And if I was living on a farm, my spidey senses would be tingling even if a bunch of guys went out on their bikes with spotlights and a disco ball.

I mean what stops me from considering them as a convenient distraction while the other guys sneak around the back?

I'm happy when we get access to a farm for a night ride, but I don't complain that our farms have closing times.

Agreed Skubarra. Conties, Hooggekraaland Meerendal manage their own day permit systems. In order to provide a day permit thatcovers all, we'd not only have to cover the full cost of each farm's permit, but also the cost of the transaction and subsequent distribution of fees to each land owner. Much as the club would LOVE to be able to have an inclusive day permit, we just cannot come up with a viable solution which everybody is happy with. Sorry :-(

While I understand the idea behind the annual and the full access I dont have an issue.

I did not renew my annual because i feel its not worthwhile especially for me coming from the southern suburbs and riding there once a month. Currently a once a month at hoogies x R60 x 10 months is cheaper than the annual, just saying.

Not quite sure I agree with you on this.

This IS RSA afterall.

And if I was living on a farm, my spidey senses would be tingling even if a bunch of guys went out on their bikes with spotlights and a disco ball.

I mean what stops me from considering them as a convenient distraction while the other guys sneak around the back?

I'm happy when we get access to a farm for a night ride, but I don't complain that our farms have closing times.

'cos the other guys will sneak around the back with or without other people on the trails, if they ever do.