Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

Pat's Right, yeah. Coming down that trail is farking lovely!!! 

There are 2 Pat's Track sections. Pat's left which goes from the Kramat then 180deg at a fork and ends up midway up the tar road from CB to the Nek, which has those log steps and is quite undulating but still a beeeeyatch to climb. Then there's Pat's Right, which is straight down all the way from the Kramat to Glengariff. Haven't climbed that one, yet. Have descended both numerous times, and Pat's Right is my fave on teh mountain. 

nope. definitely the Glen. Down obviously.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No way, Pat's is betterer than the Glen. Raw and natural and oft times scary!  :thumbup:

Thanks for this.

I've gone down the left side on a couple of occasions and have enjoyed it quite thoroughly, very rocky and quite tricky in some sections.

Never quite knew you can hit the right side too and where you would end up.

I'd definitely be keen to hit that one in both directions!! 

Indeed. What is the gradient on that beast? It kills me, every time. When I take the turn at the top, I feel like I burnt matches just to get there. And this is after the ride has barely started.

Not complaining though, as it is a good fitness barometer for me. But do this after sessioning the skills park for say half an hour...

Yeah, that's a bastard of an incline.

you guy's sound like you need to spend more time in the saddle!

The left one we used to call the R500 (R, as in the letter, not the monitory symbol) as there used to be a sign there before it became an official trail that had this R500 thing on it if you rode on this trail.

Pat's Right, yeah. Coming down that trail is farking lovely!!! 

There are 2 Pat's Track sections. Pat's left which goes from the Kramat then 180deg at a fork and ends up midway up the tar road from CB to the Nek, which has those log steps and is quite undulating but still a beeeeyatch to climb. Then there's Pat's Right, which is straight down all the way from the Kramat to Glengariff. Haven't climbed that one, yet. Have descended both numerous times, and Pat's Right is my fave on teh mountain. 

there is a good stretch of Pat's that I personally hate .... you have a steep drop on your right, the rocks/stones have varying colour tones and there is filtered light with scattered shadows that come through the trees in the morning .... it just plays with my eyes and I almost always come to a crawling pace along here on the decent.

No way, Pat's is betterer than the Glen. Raw and natural and oft times scary!  :thumbup:

there is a good stretch of Pat's that I personally hate .... you have a steep drop on your right, the rocks/stones have varying colour tones and there is filtered light with scattered shadows that come through the trees in the morning .... it just plays with my eyes and I almost always come to a crawling pace along here on the decent.

Not sure where that is. But I'll have you know...falling off the side on Pat's is not bad. Not nearly as bad as you anticipate.

I think you lot are mistaking my ideas of a tech climb to be defined as a steep B33atch climb to be tech. Step ups, tight switchbacks, negotiating between rocks requiring short sharp bursts of power at times and slow speed balance  ... that sort of thing.

I think you lot are mistaking my ideas of a tech climb to be defined as a steep B33atch climb to be tech. Step ups, tight switchbacks, negotiating between rocks requiring short sharp bursts of power at times and slow speed balance  ... that sort of thing.

Yeah if you do the section of Pat's starting from below the noon gun you're in for a load of that as well and not as long and relentless as Pat's from High Level up

Then you want to go up the Canaries

Then you want to go up the Canaries

The old lower Canaries were my favourite climb, before the fires went through there. It had just the right amount of difficulty, made the climb go by so quickly. It would be awesome if we could get something like that in the Tygerberg network. I guess you need those sandstones which we don't really have in Tygerberg. Razor sharp hornfels doesn't really have the same flow to it.

The old lower Canaries were my favourite climb, before the fires went through there. It had just the right amount of difficulty, made the climb go by so quickly. It would be awesome if we could get something like that in the Tygerberg network. I guess you need those sandstones which we don't really have in Tygerberg. Razor sharp hornfels doesn't really have the same flow to it.

yes, I haven't been there since the fires so not sure what it is like now, but was always a better option than the jeep track.