[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour MTB Challenge

Events Bot

That was a nightmare - tapped "uitspan farm" into google, saw it was next to the R44 and went there. Just me and 3 other bewildered looking okes saying WTF and giving each other worried looks.

Broke all my rules about speeding to get to Le Bonheur and the real Uitspan farm - mercifully missing the A batch start (which psychotic actuarial science dropout looked at my MTB results and said - let's put this Mamil in A batch - what's that? He ordered a 3XL shirt too? No matter). Note to organisers - on a good day I will finish in the middle of C -- on a bad day like today I might just stop in the middle.

Anyway - insomnia struck last night so felt bleary eyed at the back of B bunch where I stayed for the first 20k or so. Then really started to suffer.and continued to suffer and then it got worse and then worse again and then it was a battle not to take the shorter route turns and then it came to an end.

Sand and heat - two of my least favourite things.

See you all next year. 

That is so brilliant, maybe instead of having that FTP vs seeding thread we should check the correlation of shirt size to seeding  :P

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A rider went down badly after around 35min in the AL bunch - a few of us stopped to help and wait for medics. Anyone know how he is? Short-ish guy riding a black Scalpel. 

Saw one of the leading bunches miss a turn off  just before the Muratie waterpoint.Signage a bit misleading causing them to go racing down the tar .Hope they found their way back.

Missed out on a podium place in the short route because of lack of signage, which lead to some of us joining the same loop twice before realizing there must have been a turn-off - so back up the hill we went...  Marshalls at the waterpoint about 1.5km on didn't seem too interested to hear about it / fix it...

Constructive criticism for the organizers:

• Signage could have been a lot better
  • Marshalls would have been handy at a few additional points (there were LOTS of them at the last waterpoint!) - specifically where the long routes merged from the right with the short route, just before said waterpoint.  Almost got taken out here! 
  • Seeding - pleeeaase have look at the results to see how the seeding in the short rout specifically does not reflect results at all?  Only 8 out of top 30 in short route was in AS?  (As opposed to the longer routes where the top 30 is almost exclusively A group).  How do I explain to an 11-year old who has provincial colours and who finished very high up why he was seeded in CS, and hence did not have a shot at a podium finish?  It seems that no effort is made to seed the shorter route riders, despite many of them having good PPA / Racetec seeding - instead the seeding seems to correlate more with time of entry...

Will be back next year, though...although still hoping they'll go back to the two-day format, so we can do two rides!  (Would be interesting to know if overall numbers were down as a result of the 1 day event only). 

Did anyone get a formal reply on why the moved it all to one day?  Was it just from a costs & organisational perspective, or cutting down on the pressure on the trails and landowners?

Disastrous race for me. I must have some medical condition that I need to take action on (need to go and see the doc) that developed the past year. As soon as it is hot (30 deg +), I start to really struggle. I start getting dizzy, nauseous and it feels as if my body loses all its power.

It was quite hot, but not that hot, today. Also extremely dusty.

Hydration? This is what happens to me when i race...i actually stopped doing longish races because it happens every time.

Hydration? This is what happens to me when i race...i actually stopped doing longish races because it happens every time.

I hydrate quite well. But, I might have an underlying problem where my body does not make use of the hydration that I provide. My mouth gets dry damn fast when I ride on a hot day in the mountains. I usually sip a mouthful every 10 minutes.

Someone suggested that I might have an Iron deficiency.

I hydrate quite well. But, I might have an underlying problem where my body does not make use of the hydration that I provide. My mouth gets dry damn fast when I ride on a hot day in the mountains. I usually sip a mouthful every 10 minutes.

are you not drinking too much? I have that problem when it is very hot.

I suggest you see the GP.

If memory serves me well, you had the same issues at W2W

Rather let the GP check it out

Overhydration and dehydration  have very similar symptoms

But overhydration is not very easy to achieve, unless there something else wrong (heart/liver/kidney etc)

How much where you drinking, should be +- 1 bottle per hour?

Edit:  also, what is in the water you drinking?

Edited by Karman de Lange

I suggest you see the GP.

If memory serves me well, you had the same issues at W2W

Rather let the GP check it out

Exactly, and it only happens when it is very hot, and there is no air moving over my body, like wind or so.

Overhydration and dehydration  have very similar symptoms

But overhydration is not very easy to achieve, unless there something else wrong (heart/liver/kidney etc)

How much where you drinking, should be +- 1 bottle per hour?

Edit:  also, what is in the water you drinking?

I drank one bottle per hour. I am very rigorous about that. But I used only water on this race. For W2W I had 2 bottles, one with only water, and another with a Game/Rehidrat mix.

My first move will be to see a GP, and maybe also a Cardiologist. Because I am a 1966 model, I just want to make sure I do not have an underlying heart problem. I am 1.82cm tall and my weight is 84 kg, so I am not exactly overweight. Just maybe by 4 or so kgs.

Our family do not have a history of heart problems.

Edited by Moridin

I drank one bottle per hour. I am very rigorous about that. But I used only water on this race. For W2W I had 2 bottles, one with only water, and another with a Game/Rehidrat mix.

My first move will be to see a GP, and maybe also a Cardiologist. Because I am a 1966 model, I just want to make sure I do not have an underlying heart problem. I am 1.82cm tall and my weight is 84 kg, so I am not exactly overweight. Just maybe by 4 or so kgs.

Our family do not have a history of heart problems.

Do you sweat a healthy amount when you are out riding and it's that hot?

First thought I had was that it could have something to do with your body's ability to thermo-regulate itself, almost like trying to do vigorous exercise with the flu...

Do get that checked out - I have an iron deficiency, and my throat was so dry on Saturday, no amount of drinking could quench it.  Dr. Google suggests there may be a link...

I rode sweep motorbike for the 60km race on Sat and believe me, plenty riders suffered from similar symptoms. Hot, dry & dusty conditions with plenty climbing made for a very tough route. Riders that weren't 100% prepared paid the price.

A rider went down badly after around 35min in the AL bunch - a few of us stopped to help and wait for medics. Anyone know how he is? Short-ish guy riding a black Scalpel.

I saw this guy laying face down next to the vines. Kudos to the guys that stopped to assist and warn oncoming cyclist. Anyone know what happened and if the rider is ok.