Mark Cavendish

pista

27 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

I can't see him winning a Tour stage here, Mark has to have a 100% dedicated lead out train and Astana do not have that. Cees coming across yes, but will he do the job as expected, will Mark trust him and its not about 1 man. 

I was wrong about him coming to Astana but it was based on their team and focus and riders currently there. 

I may be wrong again and I do like to be proved wrong. 

No offence, but I hope you wrong this time ... 🤪

Even if he can get only ONE win, I would be very happy :).

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, TheoG said:

No offence, but I hope you wrong this time ... 🤪

Even if he can get only ONE win, I would be very happy :).

Im sure he will get a win at a smaller race but I can't see it at the Tour for example. the level is just too high and the teams are so organised.

5 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

Im sure he will get a win at a smaller race but I can't see it at the Tour for example. the level is just too high and the teams are so organised.

He did "surf solo" in the past and got wins, so maybe he can again ... 

But yes, he need to be back at previous best to get a win in TdF and I'm not so sure he can get there again.

• 4 months later...
17 minutes ago, shaper said:

To no one's surprise, didn't realise he was still at the Giro - a tour start is all he wants clearly.

He has ridden for T-Mobile, Team Sky, Bahrain, Quick-Step and is currently with Astana.

good to see supersport are keeping it local!

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Just watched the movie on Netflix. Great flick. Great athlete. 

some of the ole dimension data team infrastructure come out looking like knobs though. 

Netflix produce entertainment doc more than anything, not objective story telling. 

Unchained showed that. 
Objectively, Cavendish is a personality, and in any team that can create conflict, particularly if coming up against strong personalities. It can quickly become toxic. 

Personally, I feel Cavendish is relatively complex and wants everything to revolve around him and when it doesn’t and things don’t go his way. It’s always someone else’s fault and/or he’s a victim. I’d imagine working with him is a nightmare for most teams. The flip side though, absolutely fire when everything goes right and definitely one of the sport’s greatest athletes. 

Just now, Danger Dassie said:

Netflix produce entertainment doc more than anything, not objective story telling. 

Unchained showed that. 
Objectively, Cavendish is a personality, and in any team that can create conflict, particularly if coming up against strong personalities. It can quickly become toxic. 

Personally, I feel Cavendish is relatively complex and wants everything to revolve around him and when it doesn’t and things don’t go his way. It’s always someone else’s fault and/or he’s a victim. I’d imagine working with him is a nightmare for most teams. The flip side though, absolutely fire when everything goes right and definitely one of the sport’s greatest athletes. 

Yes, absolutely valid. Cavendish at times does himself no favours. No denying that. 

19 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Unchained showed that. 

You should watch the doc.  Whilst it highlights certain conflicts, it is actually more about his recovery from epstine barr virus, depression, eating disorder and recovery to race again.

The doc is not about having his way in life and getting everything to revolve around him or even blaming others. It does delve into the man himself both good and bad.

I watched it and found it quite an emotional rollercoaster.

9 minutes ago, shaper said:

You should watch the doc.  Whilst it highlights certain conflicts, it is actually more about his recovery from epstine barr virus, depression, eating disorder and recovery to race again.

The doc is not about having his way in life and getting everything to revolve around him or even blaming others. It does delve into the man himself both good and bad.

I did watch it, and I enjoyed it.
I also didn’t say the doc was about him getting his way in life. At all.

3 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Just watched the movie on Netflix. Great flick. Great athlete. 

some of the ole dimension data team infrastructure come out looking like knobs though. 

Ya well their results reflected the knots they tied for themselves hence no more. Like many saffas we wanted to believe but the baseline was just never there 

1 hour ago, shaper said:

dunno if i am interested enough to watch it. There's loads to see and only so much time.

my memory bank recollection of Cav @ DDD

*needs a team, works for everyone as he brings his own $$$ and some riders, let's recreate the HTC squad

*wins 4 stages at TdF, happy days and lots of nederburg bubbly flows

*has a crash

* blames the bike and the team but leadout team are on point, even EBH gets a win

*turns out he was actually sick with yuppy flu

*leaves the team and misspells Qhubeka in his goodbye tweet

*probably not joining Q36.5 in any capacity in the future

sjoe, maybe i should watch this