What causes heart attacks among cyclists

I carry Nitroglycerin pills on every run or ride. Just in case. Never had a heart problem before. But my family had. I run minimum 30 km a week. Only one run a week more then 170 beats per minute. Never more than 172 bpm. Two runs 150-160, never more then 162 bpm. Other are easy runs or rides in low 140. I m 44 years old. I m asthmatic.the more I run or ride I don't need pump at all. If my heart beat is unstable or to high for pace I slow down or stop the exercise completely. I don't drink before any activity at all. If I do drink I skip the activity. You are the master of your health and you must make sure you are not doing it too much.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Friend of mine had a heart attack on a dirt bike ride last year. Guy is in his early 40s, not overweight, non smoker, light drinker and had a full physical and ECG the week before. These things sneak up on you. He was lucky and is expected to make a full recovery.

Friend of mine had a heart attack on a dirt bike ride last year. Guy is in his early 40s, not overweight, non smoker, light drinker and had a full physical and ECG the week before. These things sneak up on you. He was lucky and is expected to make a full recovery.

Worth mentioning that when I had my incident ( referred to on the first page) my heart rate recorded on the ride shows nothing unusual, ECG afterwards was also normal. These things really do sneak up on you - so very risky to go out riding while sick and rely on your heart rate monitor to warn you when you are in danger.

V12man, I often see riders in races take tablets/pills from team cars - sometimes after a fall, or for some other pain.

What is that they take?

Probably Tramaset - a painkiller - But I don't have any evidence for that.

Dehydration my Dr told me if your mouth is "dry" you are all ready 15% dehydrated and that makes your blood thicker which pushes your blood pressure up and could also cause blood clots.

I did the test (just because I don't believe everything I hear) whent for a lekker ride and kept hydrated and 5 minutes after the ride my blood pressure was 118 over 80.

The next day I drank no water did no exercise just relaxed and my blood pressure was 140 over 90.

Now imagine if you are pushing your limits and not properly hydrated what your blood pressure is doing.

Probably Tramaset - a painkiller - But I don't have any evidence for that.

Doc while we on the subject, I rode a race a while back. There as a guy riding on our bunch. I noticed that every 15 min he popped two Mypradols. I could see that it was Mypradols by the capsule colour as I have been prescribed these before. I mentioned this to somebody after the race, said that is nothing, when he rides with his daughter, she also gets handed 2 every 15 min. Appenently this went on through the entire Trans Baviaans where they ride together. Surely this cant be good for the system? And, is there any performance advantage from this?

I noticed that every 15 min he popped two Mypradols. I could see that it was Mypradols by the capsule colour as I have been prescribed these before. I mentioned this to somebody after the race, said that is nothing, when he rides with his daughter, she also gets handed 2 every 15 min. Appenently this went on through the entire Trans Baviaans where they ride together. Surely this cant be good for the system? And, is there any performance advantage from this?

This dosage sounds a little improbable and potentially lethal if so.  Myprodol has 250 mg paracetamol, 200 mg ibuprofen, and 10 mg codeine per capsule.  Maximum recommended dose of paracetamol is 1 g 6 hrly, more than this can cause liver damage (failure with bigger doses).  Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen have been associated with kidney failure during exercise.  Codeine is on WADA banned list. (Incorrect assumption - always check before you type!)

In summary, nothing good about Myprodol during exercise - used like that it can kill you or get you a doping violation (if codeine metabolites cross react as morphine)!

Edited by R-squared

Doc while we on the subject, I rode a race a while back. There as a guy riding on our bunch. I noticed that every 15 min he popped two Mypradols. I could see that it was Mypradols by the capsule colour as I have been prescribed these before. I mentioned this to somebody after the race, said that is nothing, when he rides with his daughter, she also gets handed 2 every 15 min. Appenently this went on through the entire Trans Baviaans where they ride together. Surely this cant be good for the system? And, is there any performance advantage from this?

He is an idiot.

This dosage sounds a little improbable and potentially lethal if so. Myprodol has 250 mg paracetamol, 200 mg ibuprofen, and 10 mg codeine per capsule. Maximum recommended dose of paracetamol is 1 g 6 hrly, more than this can cause liver damage (failure with bigger doses). Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen have been associated with kidney failure during exercise. Codeine is on WADA banned list.

In summary, nothing good about Myprodol during exercise - used like that it can kill you or get you a doping violation!

hold the phone, are myprodol wada excluded? IE. Take those and you are doping?

Edit. Just checked, it is allowed.

http://www.drugfreesport.org.za/online-medication-check/

Edited by Shebeen

hold the phone, are myprodol wada excluded? IE. Take those and you are doping?

Edit. Just checked, it is allowed.

http://www.drugfreesport.org.za/online-medication-check/

Most opioids are banned, however looks like codeine and tramadol are allowed.  Just shows - you need to look up everything before opening your mouth or putting something into it!

There are reports of codeine metabolites in the urine coming up as morphine (definitely banned) so always need to be careful about what you take.

Edited by R-squared

Before I say this. RIP the 3 people that passed.

This is my opinion based on no research whatsoever.

In a group of 30000+ people with varying physical abilities ranging from Pro Athlete to Very obese over a 12 hour time frame don't you think there's a statistical probability of someone dying of a heart attack? Everyone dies at some point. Swinging a leg over a bike on the 2nd weekend of March isn't some sort of Immortality Elixir.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

If you need any kind of pill on the run / ride. you should probably not have entered.  

When I first started going to the Alps I used to take 3 anti inflams a day. 1 in the morning 2 in the evening. Your forearms swell up like baloons and you get a thing called the claw which is basically cramping in your hands from the constant braking. And I used to dose up on Calmag before the time. Used to take Gels and all sorts of crap to keep me going.

Started eating dead cow. No need for Anti Inflams. Still take Calmag tho.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

This dosage sounds a little improbable and potentially lethal if so.  Myprodol has 250 mg paracetamol, 200 mg ibuprofen, and 10 mg codeine per capsule.  Maximum recommended dose of paracetamol is 1 g 6 hrly, more than this can cause liver damage (failure with bigger doses).  Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen have been associated with kidney failure during exercise.  Codeine is on WADA banned list.

In summary, nothing good about Myprodol during exercise - used like that it can kill you or get you a doping violation!

The dosage is accurate. Seen it myself. Many others have seen it too.. My question is why? Is there a benifit

I think the Myprodol is possibly an old enduro dirt bike thing. I rode with guys who would take two before starting and one or two during and after the ride. I didn't bother until I started longer MTB rides; 60km to 100km then I would take a Myprodol and two cramp tabs around halfway; just because bum and legs were a bit sore. Stopped immediately after chatting to a doctor - dangers as already outlined above.

Having said that I recently had shingles and probably took more pain meds (OTC, prescription and anecdotal smokables) than in the rest of my life. None of them helped much; the shingles just got tired of pestering me and went away. :ph34r: