Tubeless on the road

Popit

I really don't get the hate for saddle bags... They are super convenient. I use one on my road bike and the only reason I don't use one on my MTB is because I have a dropper post.

I've been looking at options, there are some nice slim ones available that wont detract (to much) from the look of the bike.

My current bike has 1 that I can just squeeze in 2 tubes, levers, 2 bombs and a multi tool.

But

1)  Its bulky and will detract from the otherwise clean lines of the potential new bike

2) it velcros onto the seat post which is fine on an old junker, but on a new bike with carbon seat post will not be so great.

The ones I've been looking at on the net strap only to the bottom of the saddle

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can always try a tool bottle. 

I've ridden road tubeless for many years now and only had to put a tube in twice (both sidewall cuts from large screw/stone). Rest of the time, I get home with enough air left in the tyre (Stans holds 40psi or so depending on the size of the hole).

In my experience, roadside repairs are a waste of time (plugs don't work on the road and you can't patch the inside without proper preparation).

So I carry a tube, tiny pump and my cellphone to call uber just in case. Pockets are not full at all. 

I've ridden road tubeless for many years now and only had to put a tube in twice (both sidewall cuts from large screw/stone). Rest of the time, I get home with enough air left in the tyre (Stans holds 40psi or so depending on the size of the hole).

In my experience, roadside repairs are a waste of time (plugs don't work on the road and you can't patch the inside without proper preparation).

So I carry a tube, tiny pump and my cellphone to call uber just in case. Pockets are not full at all. 

this is the kind of info I'm wanting to hear about.

But then you can only run one bottle. What happens when you go on a big ride?

I was commenting more on the tube usage and spares rather than how he carries them.

I'm not a fan of the "tool bottle"

I tried Stans when I ran out of Orange Seal and you're right, it only holds air up to 40psi. I'm back to Orange and it's fantastic. I left home a couple of weeks ago in the dark, as it got light I noticed sealant all over the rear of the bike. I didn't even notice I had a puncture and my tyre maybe dropped 5 psi down to 90psi.

The biggest difference is the clean up process. Getting Stans off is a nightmare. Orange Seal comes off easily just by wiping it off with your finger in 2/3 minutes.

• 2 months later...

So first time experiencing tubeless issues.

I know that the sealant has not been checked or topped up since the first owner bought the bike.

So I finally got around to buying some sealant and made some time yesterday to check and top up.

Started with the front wheel. Released the air and then started moving the tyre away from the rim, as I was doing that I could hear the beading unseat itself.

Checked the sealant, it was still liquid, but decided I'm going to top it up, so I'll make sure I can seat the beading first and then top up through the valve.

Problem, I could not get the beading to set with my track pump. Guess I'll have to head to the petrol station.

But before I do let me top up the rear tyre incase I have an issue there too.

For the rear I did not un seat the tyre, I simply let the air out, removed the valve core and topped up.

Pumped up with track pump and no problem.

Head to the petrol station, remembering horror stories of sealant all over the inside of cars I took the wheel out.

First I pumped the wheel with no valve core in, heard the pleasant sound on beading setting. But when I took the pump off and the tyre deflated the beeding unseated.

Tried a few times but no luck. Then decided to pump it and keep the valve core between my fingers, the moment I pulled the pump off I put the valve core in. The hope was that if it kept the pressure for a bit it would stay seated. No luck, the moment I let the air out again it unseated.

Then decided to use the soap water from the windscreen washing bucket, coated the tyre and rim and pumped. Same thing.

So as a last resort I pumped it, put the valve core in and headed home. the hope here was that I could then pump it to max pressure with the track pump as i would now have a pressure gauge.

Pumped to 120Psi, bounced the wheel around a bit and then let the air out.

Beading popped out again.

Last resort.

Took the tyre off completely. Cleaned the rim thoroughly, cleaned the beading on the tyre thoroughly, applied soap water and tried to pump with track pump.

Nothing.

Grab CO2, bingo.

Except I did all of that with no sealant in.

release air

beeding unseats again.

add sealant

Grab second co2 and pump.

This is where I left it. I dont know what else to do and I'm to scared to release the air again.

What rim/tyre combo you running?

With proper tubeless road setup, the tyre should not unseat when deflated. Perhaps there's gunk in the rim hook, stopping it from seating properly? Are you hearing the "bangs" from the seating? Pumped to at least 100psi?

Or the hook on the rim itself is damaged? 

I've had tubeless for years and have not had this problem. My Schwalbe Pro Ones always seat with a garage pump and sometimes with a floor pump (if beads aligned perfectly with the stars that night)... 

I would try just pumping it with garage pump, with the valve core in. That should seat it and keep the pressure in.

What rim/tyre combo you running?

With proper tubeless road setup, the tyre should not unseat when deflated. Perhaps there's gunk in the rim hook, stopping it from seating properly? Are you hearing the "bangs" from the seating? Pumped to at least 100psi?

Or the hook on the rim itself is damaged? 

I've had tubeless for years and have not had this problem. My Schwalbe Pro Ones always seat with a garage pump and sometimes with a floor pump (if beads aligned perfectly with the stars that night)... 

I would try just pumping it with garage pump, with the valve core in. That should seat it and keep the pressure in.

garage pump wont work with the core in, not without some sort of adapter.

Giant Gavia tyres matter to Giant P-R2 wheels

Might be that I didnt clean the tyre properly, I cleaned the rims pretty good and didnt see any damage.

Fitting tyres is not for the faint hearted. LOL

Sometimes you need to step back, leave it for a while and then try again.

What's helped me on occasion is to put some sealant on the tyre bead/rim hook when inflating for the first time.

So just a question then.... Why ride tubeless if you are carrying a tube anyway. I understand lower pressure, but I use 25C and run about 6.5 - 7 bar and that seem soft enough.

Regarding tools I ride with:

Road and MTB all in one ziplock bag to fit nice and flat in a pocket

1 x Ryder plug kit with plugs (have never used a plug since before plugs were a thing)

1 x Bomb + Adapter

1 x Quick link

1 x pack glueless patches

1 x 50 ZAR (for gater of bonk)

1 x compact multitool with chain breaker

For Road add mini pump on frame and tube in pocket.

So just a question then.... Why ride tubeless if you are carrying a tube anyway.

How many times have you stopped to fix a puncture on the side of the road? I also carry a spare tube but haven't used it in over 2 years. I one had 3 punctures in one day but just kept on riding because it sealed up.

garage pump wont work with the core in, not without some sort of adapter.

Giant Gavia tyres matter to Giant P-R2 wheels

Might be that I didnt clean the tyre properly, I cleaned the rims pretty good and didnt see any damage.

I had exactly the same issue with the same combination a few weeks ago. In the end I gave up and went to my lbs to get the to help out, but feeling a bit embarrassed.

I had exactly the same issue with the same combination a few weeks ago. In the end I gave up and went to my lbs to get the to help out, but feeling a bit embarrassed.

I should hopefully be getting to my LBS in the next few days for a basic bike fit session (just waiting for my new pedals to arrive), will ask them to give the wheel a once over whilst there.