Tubeless on the road

Popit

Just found a solution of sorts to the issue of non-sealing tubeless tyres. (Since we don't get Orange Seal in SA)

So, the past three rides I had three small holes from glass cuts (thanks to the festive season in CT). In all cases, I got home without knowing about it but pressure was way down suggesting that the hole wasn't sealing properly. In the first case, I had a whole lot of sealant (Stan's) on the floor after leaving the bike parked overnight with the hole (unknown to me) right at the bottom of the wheel.

When pumping the tyre to 80psi (25mm tyres), it would not seal. My solution was to put folded paper towel under the hole (with bike upright) and leave for an hour or so (at an initial 80psi or so). This seems to give the sealant a chance to solidify and seal the hole. Some will leak out but it should eventually seal.

Hope it works for you.

p.s. I was about to give up on road tubeless but this little trick has restored my faith and I just bought two new Schwalbe Pro Ones (the best tubeless tyres around). 

let me know if it continues to hold pressure after your first ride.

so far my experience is the plug that forms using the above method comes loose on the first ride, or blows out as you pump the tires up to pressure

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

let me know if it continues to hold pressure after your first ride.

so far my experience is the plug that forms using the above method comes loose on the first ride, or blows out as you pump the tires up to pressure

I should've mentioned that I rode SCT yesterday and it held just fine at 80psi. Some of the 'plugs' I've seen building up on the inside are quite large (depending on the sealant, I guess) so wouldn't think they'd blow out. 

Perhaps I got lucky 'cause the holes were reasonably small. 

Anyone tried the ol' glitter in sealant story? Makes sense that it might be helpful on tubeless Road setups as I assume the coagulation of the latex at high pressures is the Achilles heel of the system?

Anyone tried the ol' glitter in sealant story? Makes sense that it might be helpful on tubeless Road setups as I assume the coagulation of the latex at high pressures is the Achilles heel of the system?

You joke, but I got so desperate with my road tubeless that I even tried the glitter - definitely doesn't work, unless you want to look like a fairy...

I gave up with road tubeless and I'm back to the tried and tested Gatorskins with tubes.

I just want to clarify a bit of a misconception. There's 3 types of tires, tubed, tubeless and tubeless ready (TLR). A tubed tire won't seal with sealant, it will leak....Tubeless, should seal without any sealant present....TLR tires need sealant but won't leak sealant. (possibly a bit of air over time) Tubeless tires also have a much harder casing, resulting in a harsher ride and it can be quite a mission to fit. The way to go is TLR as it's a much more plush ride and way more user friendly. Fitment is quite important though. You fit the tire dry and pump up until it pop's en beds into the bead. You then remove the valve core and insert sealant through the valve. TLR is the future. I represent Hutchinson (Inventors of tubeless) in SA....check it out. Everybody that's used the new Fusion 5 TLR tire LOVE it!

I just want to clarify a bit of a misconception. There's 3 types of tires, tubed, tubeless and tubeless ready (TLR). A tubed tire won't seal with sealant, it will leak....Tubeless, should seal without any sealant present....TLR tires need sealant but won't leak sealant. (possibly a bit of air over time) Tubeless tires also have a much harder casing, resulting in a harsher ride and it can be quite a mission to fit. The way to go is TLR as it's a much more plush ride and way more user friendly. Fitment is quite important though. You fit the tire dry and pump up until it pop's en beds into the bead. You then remove the valve core and insert sealant through the valve. TLR is the future. I represent Hutchinson (Inventors of tubeless) in SA....check it out. Everybody that's used the new Fusion 5 TLR tire LOVE it!

"Tubeless should seal without any sealant". I assume you are referring to initial setup rather than puncture.?

I haven't been fortunate enough to use Fusion 5 (yet), but had good experiences with 3.

Don't know If there's much to choose between Hutchinson and Schwalbe.

"Tubeless should seal without any sealant". I assume you are referring to initial setup rather than puncture.?

I haven't been fortunate enough to use Fusion 5 (yet), but had good experiences with 3.

Don't know If there's much to choose between Hutchinson and Schwalbe.

Some people actually prefer/ed to use it without sealant (if you puncture you walk). Tubeless just means that no sealant is needed....it should seal without and sealant present...hence the different casing used. Fusion 5 TLR vs Fusion 3 (only tubeless)  is a very different ride, you won't ever ride anything but TLR.

What sealant do you recommend using with these tyres?

What sealant do you recommend using with these tyres?

I'd recommend our own sealant (Protect Air Max), but according the the experts at Hutchinson any good sealant(Stans and so on) will work with their tires. I find that a very thin (not thick sludge) works best.

Some people actually prefer/ed to use it without sealant (if you puncture you walk). Tubeless just means that no sealant is needed....it should seal without and sealant present...hence the different casing used. Fusion 5 TLR vs Fusion 3 (only tubeless)  is a very different ride, you won't ever ride anything but TLR.

FWIW, I have not had good experiences with tubeless Hutchinson Fusion 3 or 5, but I guess that was the older non-TLR casing. They were a harsh ride and inflated to well below the indicated size (23.5mm for a supposed 25mm tyre).

Had the 3 and 5 performance version. Wasn't too impressed by the puncture resistance either. 

FWIW, I have not had good experiences with tubeless Hutchinson Fusion 3 or 5, but I guess that was the older non-TLR casing. They were a harsh ride and inflated to well below the indicated size (23.5mm for a supposed 25mm tyre).

Had the 3 and 5 performance version. Wasn't too impressed by the puncture resistance either. 

You're quite correct...they were full tubeless. Not the best ride.

Fusion 5 TLR 11Storm = Next Level.

Have had a few requests for some sneaky Orange Sealant, but the bike shops I popped into didn’t have.

If you guys can help me find a shop that has stock I’ll appreciate it, or more accurately, other people will appreciate it ;)

Edited by Patchelicious

You're quite correct...they were full tubeless. Not the best ride.

Fusion 5 TLR 11Storm = Next Level.

+1

Riding the Fusion 5 TLR Performance 11Storm, very happy

Think they compare very well to GP4000S II I rode on my previous bike with latex tubes

Have had a few requests for some sneaky Orange Sealant, but the bike shops I popped into didn’t have.

If you guys can help me find a shop that has stock I’ll appreciate it, or more accurately, other people will appreciate it ;)

My 2 cents.....

The guys who need should buy online and have delivered to you this week (if you coming back next week as per earlier post). Least amount of hassle and no cash outlay for you.

Unless or course......you finding any excuse to go cruise around bike shops. :-)