sani2c

Balooba

BIG question... if I pull the trigger and enter, will I be able to make it fitness wise???

I do between 40-60km on weekends (all over northern Pretoria). What would  I need to do to be kind of ready?

You could do it based on that training but it will be a LONG day in the saddle. Not sure you would really enjoy it. Suggest you up your training and do it next year.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you can do Sani on a hard tail.

This was my weapon the weekend for the Sabie experience. 3 days  with 1000 - 1200 m climbing a day 45km 46km and 38 km.

You dont need a new bike

post-40228-0-81465800-1523456206_thumb.jpg

Is the number of entries available currently in the classifieds normal ? or has it always been like this in the past editions.

In the past wait-listed entries were offered entries when those with paid up entries withdrew. With no waiting lists people now have to flog their entries when they withdraw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok, my musings on S2C:

1. Underberg is a logistical nightmare and pretty much every contestant needs a bed the night before the event. The town has a population of less than 3000 people and the tourism capacity is very limited. The race does not have a tented village the night before the race (or didn’t when I did my last Sani in 2014). The tented village at Tankwa is open the night before the event and it works very well. W2W can get away with no accommodation the night before as Somerset West and surrounds have the tourism capacity to cater for riders.

2. The entries should be released in phases, e.g. the Race first, a month later the adventure, and if there is sufficient demand, the trail.

3. 1200 riders are too many for the trails. Limit it to 800 or so and your logistics will be so much easier.

4. Joberg2C has grown, probably at the expense of Sani2C. The cost of flights, accommodation before the event etc. makes Joberg2C a more enticing proposition than Sani for me.

5. The 1 day in between the various race starts places unnecessary strain on resources. Have the 3 events over 3 consecutive weekends.

6. Get rid of the corporate bloat. One year the corporate sponsor entrants had their own start group ahead of riders who were much more capable and deserving of an early start. While sponsors are critical to the success of these events, it does very little for broader exposure to brands when the VIP’s get private chill zones, luxury tents and preferential start batches. My view is that you get much more bang for buck by enhancing the experience for ALL the riders opposed to a few. This is not unique to Sani2C, so other event organizers can take note.

7. The point to point concept is fading fast, and for good reason. Packing and unpacking every day is a schlep. It also limits route improvements and expansions when you go from point to point. The cost in logistics does not trump the sense of journey with a mainstream point to point race.

I prefer point to point as it is more of an adventure seeing different towns and cultures every day.

I suppose if "racing" or "comfort" is a driving factor then the packing and unpacking is a schlep.

Each to his own I suppose

Ok, my musings on S2C:

1. Underberg is a logistical nightmare and pretty much every contestant needs a bed the night before the event. The town has a population of less than 3000 people and the tourism capacity is very limited. The race does not have a tented village the night before the race (or didn’t when I did my last Sani in 2014). The tented village at Tankwa is open the night before the event and it works very well. W2W can get away with no accommodation the night before as Somerset West and surrounds have the tourism capacity to cater for riders.

2. The entries should be released in phases, e.g. the Race first, a month later the adventure, and if there is sufficient demand, the trail.

3. 1200 riders are too many for the trails. Limit it to 800 or so and your logistics will be so much easier.

4. Joberg2C has grown, probably at the expense of Sani2C. The cost of flights, accommodation before the event etc. makes Joberg2C a more enticing proposition than Sani for me.

5. The 1 day in between the various race starts places unnecessary strain on resources. Have the 3 events over 3 consecutive weekends.

6. Get rid of the corporate bloat. One year the corporate sponsor entrants had their own start group ahead of riders who were much more capable and deserving of an early start. While sponsors are critical to the success of these events, it does very little for broader exposure to brands when the VIP’s get private chill zones, luxury tents and preferential start batches. My view is that you get much more bang for buck by enhancing the experience for ALL the riders opposed to a few. This is not unique to Sani2C, so other event organizers can take note.

7. The point to point concept is fading fast, and for good reason. Packing and unpacking every day is a schlep. It also limits route improvements and expansions when you go from point to point. The cost in logistics does not trump the sense of journey with a mainstream point to point race.

My musings on your musings  ^_^

Nowadays there are tented accomodation available at the start - although not exactly at bargain prices afaik.

Agree with point-to-point logistics argument but for Sani I cannot really see it being done any other way, big attraction of the race for me was the journey from Drakensberg to the sea.

Joberg2C - interesting point but from a personal point of view 7 days of my annual leave (nevermind the rest of costs) for one cycle event eats into the little leave I have for school holidays with the family, will probably easier for me to negotiate 2 days for Sani2C with the wife despite it being relatively more expensive  ^_^

Per day joberg2c offers better value

The sensible me I would rather for similar pricing but dbl logistics do Berg&Bush and Sani2c as two events spread over year.

Joberg2C does however have a very special attraction and is on my radar   

I'm doing my 7th Sani this year. Too many? Perhaps, but this is how I see it:

1. It was my very first stage race back in 2012 when the Trail started. I still cannot see myself sitting in the office during the second week of May knowing what I am missing out on. It is a really special race and I honestly don't know when I'm going to stop. That being said, the price tag is getting a bit much. We paid R9k per team back in 2012. Next year it'll be close on double that. There definitely is a limit to what one is willing to spend on a three day stage race.

2. I agree that the point to point race box packing and loading effort is a schlep, but the point to point concept is part of what makes Sani. Every day is completely different to the previous day with Day 1 being around the berg and the open plains of the milk farms, Day 2 is proper KZN bushveld and Day 3 Sugarcane farm fun. I doubt that there's another race where you get to experience such diverse environments over 3 days.

3. I also believe Sani is striking the perfect balance between being fun and being a challenge. The race is not overly tough if you're fit, but still requires a fair amount of training to be able to finish and enjoy the experience. Day 2 is a hard day, but Day 1 and 3 are also challenging in their own right, however, you never get the feeling that the organisers are trying to make it as tough as possible.

4. The trails you ride during Sani you can only ride during Sani (and joberg2c). It's not accessible to the public during any other time of the year unless Farmer Glen is your BFF. Many of the other big races go through public bike parks as part of their route so you can ride the best parts of the race any day of the week without entering the race. With Sani, this isn't the case.

5. Part of the appeal for me is also that we've made a family holiday of it every year. My oldest was 4 months old when he waved me off in Underberg for the first time. He's in Grade 1 next year so out of season holidays are also becoming a thing of the past...

6. This year, my wife is riding Sani with me for the first time. So, that's also putting a new spin on things.

Lastly, to the OP; I doubt that I'll attempt Sani on training comprising of 50km rides. People have finished Sani on much less training, so even though you'll probably be able to finish it I don't know how much you'd enjoy it. Like I said, it's a special race with super fun flowing trails and magnificent scenery but if your battling to the finish line everyday you're probably missing the point.

The bubble has burst!

Nail on the head.

My first Joberg2c in 2012 was R12,500 for my share and 2013 was about R13,500... Since then those prices have gone insane.

Sani is no different.

Best bang for buck stage race is probably 3 Towers, awesome riding day in and out.

aaaa, good ol Sani2C! 

Save your legs for after the Nando's climb on day 2 - still a way to go . Other than that, the trails are well manicured and sublime to ride. Berg n Bush more technical and 'rough' than Sani.

get in some long training rides (ie.70-90km rides) with good elevation to make Sani more enjoyable..

My musings on your musings  ^_^

Nowadays there are tented accomodation available at the start - although not exactly at bargain prices afaik.

Agree with point-to-point logistics argument but for Sani I cannot really see it being done any other way, big attraction of the race for me was the journey from Drakensberg to the sea.

Joberg2C - interesting point but from a personal point of view 7 days of my annual leave (nevermind the rest of costs) for one cycle event eats into the little leave I have for school holidays with the family, will probably easier for me to negotiate 2 days for Sani2C with the wife despite it being relatively more expensive  ^_^

The main thing for me was carrying that damn box after everyday (First world problem I know). Would be nice if they packed them outside each tent............................with two ice cold beers to welcome you into the next race village.

The main thing for me was carrying that damn box after everyday (First world problem I know). Would be nice if they packed them outside each tent............................with two ice cold beers to welcome you into the next race village.

Or two warm red bull girls

I'm doing my 7th Sani this year. Too many? Perhaps, but this is how I see it:

1. It was my very first stage race back in 2012 when the Trail started. I still cannot see myself sitting in the office during the second week of May knowing what I am missing out on. It is a really special race and I honestly don't know when I'm going to stop. That being said, the price tag is getting a bit much. We paid R9k per team back in 2012. Next year it'll be close on double that. There definitely is a limit to what one is willing to spend on a three day stage race.

2. I agree that the point to point race box packing and loading effort is a schlep, but the point to point concept is part of what makes Sani. Every day is completely different to the previous day with Day 1 being around the berg and the open plains of the milk farms, Day 2 is proper KZN bushveld and Day 3 Sugarcane farm fun. I doubt that there's another race where you get to experience such diverse environments over 3 days.

3. I also believe Sani is striking the perfect balance between being fun and being a challenge. The race is not overly tough if you're fit, but still requires a fair amount of training to be able to finish and enjoy the experience. Day 2 is a hard day, but Day 1 and 3 are also challenging in their own right, however, you never get the feeling that the organisers are trying to make it as tough as possible.

4. The trails you ride during Sani you can only ride during Sani (and joberg2c). It's not accessible to the public during any other time of the year unless Farmer Glen is your BFF. Many of the other big races go through public bike parks as part of their route so you can ride the best parts of the race any day of the week without entering the race. With Sani, this isn't the case.

5. Part of the appeal for me is also that we've made a family holiday of it every year. My oldest was 4 months old when he waved me off in Underberg for the first time. He's in Grade 1 next year so out of season holidays are also becoming a thing of the past...

6. This year, my wife is riding Sani with me for the first time. So, that's also putting a new spin on things.

Lastly, to the OP; I doubt that I'll attempt Sani on training comprising of 50km rides. People have finished Sani on much less training, so even though you'll probably be able to finish it I don't know how much you'd enjoy it. Like I said, it's a special race with super fun flowing trails and magnificent scenery but if your battling to the finish line everyday you're probably missing the point.

Thanks for the info. I now will definitely do the S2C NEXT year. Although I am a relaxed rider I still want to enjoy it as training is not really on my agenda.

Reading all the input I will start training in Feb 2019 and enter  (if they still have it :eek:

aaaa, good ol Sani2C! 

Save your legs for after the Nando's climb on day 2 - still a way to go . Other than that, the trails are well manicured and sublime to ride. Berg n Bush more technical and 'rough' than Sani.

get in some long training rides (ie.70-90km rides) with good elevation to make Sani more enjoyable..

No more Nando's.

Now you get to try and conquer the diabolical "Iconic climb" in its place. 

Thanks for the info. I now will definitely do the S2C NEXT year. Although I am a relaxed rider I still want to enjoy it as training is not really on my agenda.

Reading all the input I will start training in Feb 2019 and enter  (if they still have it :eek:

Good call. Much better to do Sani properly trained than winging it.

I've seen plenty people cursing and vowing to never do it again, not due to any fault of the event - just didn't train enough. 

It may not be the most technical and challenging race/ride out there, but still nearly 300km of three days consecutive riding.

Archived