[Event] 2018 The Munga

walkerr

So at this stage I am using my Merida Carbon MTB for the Munga. I really do not want to carry any weight on my back so decided to go with bottles on my mtb. However the Carbon Full suspension frame is made for one bottle. Any good products to add bottles to the bottom frame and maybe on the forks? Have been looking at Wolftooth products.

I've used the wolftooth B-RAD.

Works like a charm.

Just need to get used to the change in pedalling as you do need to adapt your technique for pedalling while standing.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So at this stage I am using my Merida Carbon MTB for the Munga. I really do not want to carry any weight on my back so decided to go with bottles on my mtb. However the Carbon Full suspension frame is made for one bottle. Any good products to add bottles to the bottom frame and maybe on the forks? Have been looking at Wolftooth products.

Look at the Camlebak Chase - considerably less bulky than a normal MTB pack.

There are plenty other options of course. Fork mounts, handlebar bags, behind seat mounts (assuming not carbon post). I actually haven't quite decided on mine. I have a Chase and it's definitely an option. I don't normally ride with a pack on long events, and it's not my first choice, but I may use it. I'm on a hardtail though, so for race rule compliance I only need to find space for an extra 500ml since I can get 2x 1L bottles in the diamond.

Edited by walkerr

I used a topeak triathlon double bottle cage that attaches to the saddle with 2 x 950 ml water bottles.  My spare clothing was in a home made 4 L cylindrical bag attached to the front handlebars. 

See photo.

How did you find those on the corrugations? Last time I used a behind seat cage it was a rocket launcher - even on road. Spent my whole time stopping to pick up bottles. Did these survive well?

How did you find those on the corrugations? Last time I used a behind seat cage it was a rocket launcher - even on road. Spent my whole time stopping to pick up bottles. Did these survive well?

Because the cages are open on the side the bottles are not very secure so I used a velcro strap around each cage.  The straps was just tight enough to hold the bottles without having to undo the strap each time I took them in and out. It worked well.

Easy solution to that... wrap a couple of layers of duck tape around the bottle, will make it sit tighter and also mean you have duck tape with you, if needed.

G

Spent lunch yesterday with a buddy who competed last year. Have to say, hearing him speak of the ride has really got me fired up for the adventure. Our experiences are going to be very different as he's a fast rider up front and I'm very much a lanterne rouge. But it sounds an awesome experience. Some great snippets in his stories - including dodging Gemsbok in the dark through the Nature Reserve after CP1 (Van der Kloof Dam)

Lezyne Flow Cage = problem solved.

With the right bottles you will not loose a bottle

Lezyne Flow Cage = problem solved.

With the right bottles you will not loose a bottle

Exact same cages I used on the last behind saddle bottle mount I tried. They are fairly secure, but if the hit is big enough then from my experiences, those bottles will be flying! If you're gonna go this way, I reckon the Velcro/Duct Tape is a must

Edited by walkerr

Look at the Camlebak Chase - considerably less bulky than a normal MTB pack.

There are plenty other options of course. Fork mounts, handlebar bags, behind seat mounts (assuming not carbon post). I actually haven't quite decided on mine. I have a Chase and it's definitely an option. I don't normally ride with a pack on long events, and it's not my first choice, but I may use it. I'm on a hardtail though, so for race rule compliance I only need to find space for an extra 500ml since I can get 2x 1L bottles in the diamond.

The thing is that I will be using the saddle bag so the option for bottles at the back of the saddle is a bit out the window. I'm thinking of going with my camelbak option although I really don't like it.

The Munga has been my dream since it began. But the entry fee is the cheap part. Getting the rest and the bike ready is the expensive part as I did not have much for such a big event.

But hey, it is an adventure after all...

The thing is that I will be using the saddle bag so the option for bottles at the back of the saddle is a bit out the window. I'm thinking of going with my camelbak option although I really don't like it.

The Munga has been my dream since it began. But the entry fee is the cheap part. Getting the rest and the bike ready is the expensive part as I did not have much for such a big event.

Agreed!

Some these bottle holders for the rear of the seat can complicated with hinges or made form plastics.

Will be crappy to find out in the middle of nowhere that it does not stand up to a Munga stress test.

I have one of these.

Very simple and elegant solution. (in my opinion  :whistling:

There is nothing to it, nothing to fail. 

A small saddle bag can even fit underneath. 

(Will obviously not work with carbon seat rails.) 

31cYe9%2B1kGL._SX425_.jpg

Edited by IH8MUD

Also consider using TT bars - then you can mount another waterbottle cage onto those.  Could even have one underneath if you get creative. 

I fitted a set of these for a competitor last year and it worked faultlessly.

Apart from the extra comfort and efficiency that the bars give you, it also allows you to ride backpack free.