Reversed Route 94.7 2018

mercurystorm

Definitely harder than last year. Heat and headwind on the m1 played a roll, but the climb at 42km was brutal going up at pace...Very well organised[emoji1303] Even the climb to and out of kyalami was hard.

I feel the climb inside Kyalami had me worried for a few seconds when I got closer to the hairpin.

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally it was much harder than last year. Definitely prefer the normal route. But I had a bad day on the bike. 2 flats and a fall ended my PB aspirations at 30kms in. Will be interesting to see if they choose to swap the route back or maybe alternate the two routes.

Will be interesting to see if they choose to swap the route back or maybe alternate the two routes.

Won't be swapped back. Staying this way, as far as I know...

Gets all the important suburban roads open a lot earlier and lessens the moaning from all those residents. Having Jan Smuts closed all day, as used to be the case, creates a lot of problems.

Not really a major issue if M1/R55/Summit stay closed a few hours longer (especially since R55 was contra-flow at Woodmead so the shops could trade).

I was on antibiotics for URTI,I took the last one this morning, not sure if the pills throttled my power and HR because I could only reach 90% of my max HR no matter how hard I tried to push. Finished at 3:06. Disappointment I couldn't get a sub 3.

I prefer the new route....better road surface on the downhills makes it safer in my opinion. My fitness levels very similar over past 4 years and today’s time very similar to last 3 years.

65kmh+ speedhumps is not safe they need to make a plan with those

also since finishing I have had a good few beers and about 3 cheese burgers, ice cream cake and now a bowl of ice cream and syrup and my legs STILL HURT! Definately harder this year... recovery is taking way too long.

I liked the route this way around much more, Steyn City and even past the zoo was not as hard as I expected. That being said, after one too many turn on the highway I realized the end was not just flat as promised. However it is still way better than Steyn City ending for me. Poor guys that ended after me as I was being hosed down at every opportunity and still cooked.

I personally loved the new route. M1 was a joy if you could find a good group. The climbs after Kyalami weren't as bad as I was expecting and the last few kays were also lovely. Also Ive had a few beers so maybe I'm over romanticizing.  

Cant find my results :/ Will give it a bit of time and see if they show up

Same here although I did get the finish time SMS. (Group L, can't be only 23 riders?)

Cant find my results :/ Will give it a bit of time and see if they show up

can’t find mine either,sure it just a minor glitch .

13 hours on a plane to get here and at 20km a spoke broke on the back wheel! 75km on a seriously wobbly wheel and no back brakes made it interesting! Coming from the coast the altitude just killed me and my legs did not enjoy the lack of oxygen, the cramp was real! 

Anyway onto the next one, CTCT!