Reversed Route 94.7 2018

mercurystorm

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was hard and with the wind, heat and hills the second half was tough.

Last 5 kays were a breeze though....

What’s the verdict? Was this reversed route harder than the other way?

I loved it - but am about 12kg lighter than I was last year (and my FTP is about 15% up).

Keen to hear from those who are more or less at the same level of fitness as they were last year.

Hot and hilly, I rode conservatively so time was not great.

Worst bit for me was that long climb after doing the Kyalami circuit, started to cramp half way up. Last few K's were a welcome relief for my tired legs. 

I felt the climbs were longer and descents shorter. Highway was a coffee ride as the commissaire tried, in vain, the neutralize our bunch when VE came passed. Not unhappy with my race given I’ve been doing the 365 thing.

Otherwise, identical time this year to last year:

981ef3f3e7cca6d6722f6cc8322c234b.jpg

Well done Frosty!!

I felt the climbs were longer and descents shorter. Highway was a coffee ride as the commissaire tried, in vain, the neutralize our bunch when VE came passed. Not unhappy with my race given I’ve been doing the 365 thing.

Otherwise, identical time this year to last year:
981ef3f3e7cca6d6722f6cc8322c234b.jpg

Climbs where steeper than the other way. It is a definate harder ride. first 60km odd almost all climbing was a hard start on cold legs and unfortunately lost VB as I just couldnt hold on but rode to 6min better time than last year so I cannot complain.

Edited by s14phoenix

Cramps coming into Kyalami, luckily for me the Crampstop tablets worked.

Enjoyed the new route, especially catching a fast Lumohawk Bus coming past after that final Kyalami climb.

Rolled in at 9AM,next to AMP after starting in the same bunch as her. I'll call that a successful ride ;)

Heart goes out to all the average Joe's out there, anything after 10AM in that sun is hectic. Hope everyone gets home alright.

Hope everyone had a safe ride. Saw some "ruined my day" injuries people sustained at the 94.7 MTB race and some of them were ugly.

I agree with Scotty, those hills after the Kyalami Race Track just never end.

Got excited when I saw those banners saying "last hill" then we turned left and there's another hill to climb.

Jan Smuts is also long.

3min faster for me this year.

Rode a bit wiser this year.

Chatted with FRAIL while riding on the Race Track. Respect for riding up from CT.