All things Team Qhubeka NextHash

Eldron

Biniam Girmay (Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert Matériaux) won the Trofeo Alcudia on Thursday on Spain’s Mallorca island.

The Eritrean out-kicked a star-studded field to win on the second day at the Mallorca Challenge. Ryan Gibbons (UAE Team Emirates) crossed the line second, with Giacomo Nizzolo (Israel-Premier Tech) third.

Africa first and second, ex-Qhubeka second and third

https://www.velonews.com/news/road/mallorca-challenge-biniam-girmay-wins-trofeo-alcudia/?utm_source=velonews&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=0c14aba8-36af-4d07-a3ab-ab1b4758594f

GettyImages-1367172810.webp

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Andymann said:

When I read about how tough it is for a South African cyclist to make it in Europe it seems like we are too protected here - big fish in small ponds.

DR has done the team thing and let's be honest it didn't really open up a bunch of paths for South Africans to get over to Europe.

Maybe he needs to bring everything he has learnt from running a team in Europe and set up an Academy here in SA where he can prepare riders for what it takes to make it as a pro.  Somewhere remote where the riders are away from home, have to cook, clean and fend for themselves and basically live in conditions similar to those they will experience in Europe.  If you read Jens Voigt's book both he and Jan Ulrich were part of a Academy where they were identified from very young.

It's great that he supported Malawi, Eritrea and Rwanda but I bet there are a whole bunch of Nic Dlamini's right under our noses here in SA.  MAybe we need to be a bit selfish and develop our guys first.

I suppose not having races in SA is a challenge and funding is always going to be an issue but I suspect there might be more interest setting up an Academy in SA from SA companies than sponsoring a cycling team based in Europe with very little African ties.

This is the one that speaks a lot of truth and that goes a long way...!

We need bigger tougher races. Not just 100km of rolling hills that are suited to mass participation with Elite riders being an afterthought.

We need better prize money to draw the teams from all provinces and eventually even outside teams. R100k total prize pool for CTCT is simply not enough. Did the winner of Tour du Cap get more than his yellow Velotex jersey? Maybe free entry into the next Tour...

We need better media coverage of build-up and hype and racing. Who won Tour du Cap? What teams impressed you most? We all love cycling and would have gladly consumed hours of quality content around just this single event. Why am I watching random cat 3/4 crit races on YouTube and not the recent WC Champs where the racing was truly epic?

All these things need to happen at same time as money can't flow into one if the others are not following suit. Is there a role to play here for DR? I'm not sure.

https://teamqhubeka.com/team-qhubeka-moving-forward-in-2022?fbclid=IwAR2ALMulgvepyCm6l-VDkNezspe0vUt9ADOkTEGciTuqeOaPRGILiDr6L_8

this is a uci continental team, so third tier level - not sure what sort of races they'll go to but got to start somewhere again i guess.

a lot of italians on the team, mixed with some african talent and a new south African in Travis Steadman (19).

I don't see a bike sponsor however.

On 1/27/2022 at 9:25 PM, OVERDRIVE said:

Just have this feeling people are holding themselves from saying something but dont have the balls to...🤣

That DR is out of his depth at worldtour level? I think that has been mentioned, we'll never know.

34 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

https://teamqhubeka.com/team-qhubeka-moving-forward-in-2022?fbclid=IwAR2ALMulgvepyCm6l-VDkNezspe0vUt9ADOkTEGciTuqeOaPRGILiDr6L_8

this is a uci continental team, so third tier level - not sure what sort of races they'll go to but got to start somewhere again i guess.

a lot of italians on the team, mixed with some african talent and a new south African in Travis Steadman (19).

I don't see a bike sponsor however.

That DR is out of his depth at worldtour level? I think that has been mentioned, we'll never know.

The evidence speaks for itself. We have very few people in SA who are players at the World Tour level. European Pro riders visiting Cape Town to ride with their coach or performance manager. Come on, its obvious we have the people. Doug just didn't appear to want to draw on any of them. Why? That we may never know...

The evidence is there, riders experience a drop in form at Team Qhubeka and then miraculously bounce back after leaving. I'm surprised no Journo has picked up this story yet because it truly is intriguing

21 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

The evidence speaks for itself. We have very few people in SA who are players at the World Tour level. European Pro riders visiting Cape Town to ride with their coach or performance manager. Come on, its obvious we have the people. Doug just didn't appear to want to draw on any of them. Why? That we may never know...

The evidence is there, riders experience a drop in form at Team Qhubeka and then miraculously bounce back after leaving. I'm surprised no Journo has picked up this story yet because it truly is intriguing

I'm not really surprised though as no one really cares except some south africans?

When Fulham or Burnley get relegated, no one really cares. When the EP Elephants have a bad Currie Cup no one cares... except the really avid supporters with some sort of loyalty (however that is measured).

26 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

There is fixed it for you

The August is the Fun Ride WC, and us Vaalies have the B-Worlds.

***An optimistic Friday thought over my perfectly brewed koffie***

A steady stabile enough cycling federation (credible) is the foundation for governance and the important hanger that aspirant cyclists and talented youngsters can hang their dreams on, with a relatively clear developmental pathway. 

There are so many sponsors in SA and investors in the SA economy that would love to bring in the coins and back a strong Cycling South Africa grounded by a clear vision and competent administrators. Think Spur, name a wine farm, etc.

I love rugby and cricket and my braai. However, I do love carbon and VAM chats.

One thing that has consistently impressed me about Denmark is how active the public are in cycling (and all other sports).

Clubs, races, training and coaching all happen without the local federation.

The federation does very little day to day - it's mostly parents, volunteers,  ex pros and interested parties that make it happen for promising young riders.

Just a thought....

13 minutes ago, Eldron said:

One thing that has consistently impressed me about Denmark is how active the public are in cycling (and all other sports).

The federation does very little day to day - it's mostly parents, volunteers,  ex pros and interested parties that make it happen for promising young riders.

Just a thought....

Totally!!

I'll give you an example of my Dutch experience. Arrive, sleep, unpack my bike go and explore new city , country.

3 Hours later I have 2 new friends, both cycle and I'm invited to a club ride/race the following weekend.

go to club ride, turns out its a race and have my arse handed to me by the moms on bikes.

The clubs race team is paid by the clubs membership. They earn a small salary to race. The Club has sponsors that hold it accountable for the money.

The committee functions very well. If you don't do your job you get replaced. No one is there just to have someone to ride with. They are there to support cycling, their kids, others people kids and to build a platform to get these youngsters up to the next level where they are god enough for provincial selection and national selection or continental team contract offer. The entire system is constructive. The federation isn't involved. Its all coming from the Club and its older members. No pretense, just get the job done.

This is how the clubs function over there. This is why they produce so many good cyclists. In Africa our foundation isn't solid yet and we try to jump off of this shaky wall and expect to win.

A lot more support is needed locally to create that platform our youngsters can leap off of and be successful in Europe and therefore in Global Cycling. We have some good things happening but it really needs a more co-ordinated effort

1 hour ago, Eldron said:

Just a thought....

This is Africa. 

Cycling is integrated in the European psyche, especially Western Europe and, since, say, Thor Hushovd, Scandinavia. The days of newspapers sponsoring hardmen to race across many mountain paths across France is more than a century old. Not to mention the Dutch running out of geographical space and sitting largely beneath ocean level, having to systematise and use the humble commuter bike as integral to its infrastructure.

South and/or Southern Africa countries requires an exceptional union / federation that can stand firm and fierce as this is braai country (sonskyn, rugby & Chevrolet). 

The struggle of a relatively wealthy nation like USA cycling is also an interesting socio-economic & sport/cycling scenario. Come in, Travis. 

Clubs in South Africa: There are some awesome ones. Highly sustainable, dynamic and with great vision. There is no 'parental support', the federation or official body with great vision and competence. Sadly.

It is complicated.

Edited by 'Dale