winter time

jesica

Good day all

I did Google this subject and read thehubsa, but still want to hear what is your opinion.

I were 2 pair of glothes, 2 pair of socks and booties before I go out in winter, especially this week in Gauteng

I bought thermal glothes and socks from Discem.

My feet and hands are still freezing after a 3 hour ride.

Any advice.

Pedal harder to generate more heat.

1 pair of socks and some booties and my feet were fine at -2°c

Hmm - ride later? Thats my new policy - the difference between 6:30 and 8:30 in Gauteng is 10 degrees.

Otherwise get good goretex winter longs from overseas (fleecy) Get a polartec 100 layer (or equivalent ) from a ski shop against your skin and again a good jacket that is windproof. Wear layers. Cycling jerseys are shite.

Thats my setup.

Buff over the head.

And then fleecy polartec 200 gloves from Cape Union Mart.

Good day all

I did Google this subject and read thehubsa, but still want to hear what is your opinion.

I were 2 pair of glothes, 2 pair of socks and booties before I go out in winter, especially this week in Gauteng

Any advice.

Experiment with layers. Windproof outer layers. Focus on extremities.

Or trainer during the week and later weekend rides!!

neoprene toe covers to keep cold air out of your shoes - under the shoe covers which dont keep the cold air out ...

makes more difference than you think

post-85316-0-05241400-1531141310.png

I only added a "Bamboo Thermal long sleeve" from Cyclelab at R290

Other than that I am still in my summer attire???

Then again I cycle after work not in the mornings

Cyclelab have a TdF winter sale on at the moment, lots of winter gear.

Solomon's in wodmead also have a sale on winter gear..

Toe caps as above, thermal layers, wind proof jacket/gillet, thermal arm warmers, buff for neck and mouth, buff for head and ears, winter gloves

some good notes here  :thumbup:

go for quality winter wear over quantity. cycling over-dressed is not going to be fun

Hmm - ride later? Thats my new policy - the difference between 6:30 and 8:30 in Gauteng is 10 degrees.

Otherwise get good goretex winter longs from overseas (fleecy) Get a polartec 100 layer (or equivalent ) from a ski shop against your skin and again a good jacket that is windproof. Wear layers. Cycling jerseys are shite.

Thats my setup.

Buff over the head.

oh and i also got some polartec 200 socks from Cape Union. My feet have never been cold

post-51185-0-03203200-1528441319.jpg
Edited by Dirkitech

Anatomic have great value winter gear, go past and have a look, their stuff has lasted me three winters without sign of giving up...

Thats my setup.

Buff over the head.

I ride a bit later in winter as well. Start 07:30 - 08:00. I get hot very quickly, and will die if I was wearing a tonne of layers when the sun is out 30 min later.

Normal gloves and socks. Maybe a base layer if it's very cold, otherwise it's normal summer gear.

Weekdays (after work) in the evenings I'll wear a long sleeve shirt.

Edited by stefmeister

Good day all

Any advice.

From Gauteng. Commuted to office all through last week and today.

Wearing a long sleeve Capestorm top with a wind jacket, cycling shorts with tights over, one pair socks, and long finger gloves. Was all good through the last few cold days, except fingers (due to holes in gloves!) and toes were very cold on Friday morning. 

The mr wears an extra layer on top (e.i. 2 long sleeves), thermal pants, and some sandwich bags over his socks inside the shoes. Rest same as me. He uses one buff, I take a buff and an ear muff or 2 buffs: one for neck and one for ears.

The morning ride is from around 5:50 to 7:30. Home-ride is anything between 16:50 and 18:30.

Slip your foot into the corner of a checkers plastic packet and cut the excess off then put your shoes on.

Wear some surgical gloves under your cycling gloves.

Put a sheet of newspaper between your undervest and shirt.

If none of that helps the only option is rule #5 my friend [emoji41]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk