Cape Epic 2019

AllAboutRides

Will that include the Mariska Straus incident?

It deserves a few more pages on this thread. I don't think we spent enough time on it when it happened.

Can't remember how many parts to the story. I suspect it might but they may drag it out for low cost cycle lab infomercial aims

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And you my friend should not believe everything you read on the internet,  this DnD guys posts especially.  He lacks a decency filter and if he finds an opinion odious he resorts to ad hominem attacks. The kind of thing that has got him kicked off here twice already. 

I would love to ride the Epic and have never said i didnt. I was asked to partner somone for 2020 but did not accept because I cannot afford it. This highlights one of the problems with it.

My comments about Epic riders are a comment on the prevailing MTB culture in SA and are applicable to any old marathon event, the bikes that are ridden and the attitude displayed by some of the participants (especially Epic finishers), based on my personal experience. These are my opinion. I am entitled to that opinion. If you differ, tell me why, not why I am a ****. DnD has yet to learn this. He then claims he was just tjooning me. Only joking.

I try and deal in facts . Like the brakes. 160/140 twin piston brakes are very poor at slowing down a bike and rider from anything like the speeds that full suspension bikes can attain. Trails like Helderberg promote high speed. The fact that DnD compares a dual suspension bike to a rigid gravel grider, pottering down a jep track, with the same brakes is farcical. Gravel grinders dont manage the trickier single track at Tokai either. Vasbyt doesn't really count. 

Since many hiking trails were originally ridden and turned into MTB trails, such things as constant radius corners and big fat berms were few and far between. Now, in 2019, the berm is at fault because people, including seasoned pros cant take a corner properly? Its laughable. Is this MTB or  road riding? In fact, scratch that, a cobbled classic corner is harder than a constant radius manicured berm. 

No hard feelings .We can only appreciate the wonderful routes,trails, switchbacks and berms that we rode on this route .Groenlandberg up and the looong descent was the roughest  imo and that was not particularly difficult . In Gauteng it is difficult to maintain any form of berm because our koppies and mountains are very rocky .Our good trails look like your bad ones .Most of the Epic route was smoother than i am used to riding ,and we have an obstacle known as a graspol on our flatter sections that will make you wish for a long steep smooth climb instead 

According to the Hub 'spurts most of us aren't skilled or skraal enough to bother entering so best to look at some other forum my friend ...

Don't know why the top end teams are not seeking them out as "advisers"  

I can't find my finisher's photos on Sportograf.com, you know the ones taken on stage and the ones with the white background lighting setup. Any advice on where one would find these ?

I can't find my finisher's photos on Sportograf.com, you know the ones taken on stage and the ones with the white background lighting setup. Any advice on where one would find these ?

Wasn't that part of the pre-ordered package only?

Go to .Find more foto,s of me .Then choose the second option ,it will give you a time line option under the heading you chose .Then find your pic if you know when you finished 

While waiting for my teams to come in, I took quite a bit of shots on the finish... it was too freekin awesome not to!!

Have a look here and maybe send me your race number so I can have a look through my shots

https://www.facebook.com/pg/henknphoto/photos/epic-final

Will that include the Mariska Straus incident?

It deserves a few more pages on this thread. I don't think we spent enough time on it when it happened. 

So did they get enough time to work out a humble on air apology for this one without looking like a chop yet?

So did they get enough time to work out a humble on air apology for this one without looking like a chop yet?

Nope, used it as an example to prove how tough he is, not even a tumble like that could slow him down.  :whistling: