Cape Epic 2019

AllAboutRides

Looking at it again, I think that that dude (according to Mariske's FB post, Andrew McClean's partner) was already having his own little crash before Mariske came along. Possibly he realised that someone was approaching at speed, went offline, lost it and bang, two riders down. She definately never just rode into the back of him.

Ouch.. unfortunate chain of events.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mixing riders of differing abilities at GSpot is like newbie riders pitching up for A batch at the Argust. Not at all safe!

I'd agree that it looks like he moved off course into the A-line which caused some confusion/ panic. Probably should have stuck to the easy line and Mariske would have come sailing past.

I'm amazed that he managed to roll the gap jump. Probably takes more skills than clearing it! They really need to build this feature into Zwift   :ph34r:

These things happen. I hope both are fit to ride comfortably tomorrow.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvT9a25n7R0/

Tried to roll it, front end was lost when it hit the landing and he crashed. 

If you have to crash in this race, just before the finish on the grass might be the best spot,  

I see Michele Casagrande broke his collarbone in that crash and is out of the race now. 

Tried to roll it, front end was lost when it hit the landing and he crashed. 

Wish I could say that I don't know that feeling  ;)

I see Michele Casagrande broke his collarbone in that crash and is out of the race now. 

That's a terrible way to go out!

I see Michele Casagrande broke his collarbone in that crash and is out of the race now.

Ag no..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mixing riders of differing abilities at GSpot is like newbie riders pitching up for A batch at the Argust. Not at all safe!

I'd agree that it looks like he moved off course into the A-line which caused some confusion/ panic. Probably should have stuck to the easy line and Mariske would have come sailing past.

I'm amazed that he managed to roll the gap jump. Probably takes more skills than clearing it! They really need to build this feature into Zwift   :ph34r:

actually (and I am pretty good at spotting these things...) he falls into her as he's having his own crash. There's no changing line, he's just having his accident and collects her as he comes sailing past. Clearly not intentional, just a bonehead move.

actually (and I am pretty good at spotting these things...) he falls into her as he's having his own crash. There's no changing line, he's just having his accident and collects her as he comes sailing past. Clearly not intentional, just a bonehead move.

Sorry, but on this one I blame Mariska for her own crash, even though he fell on his own accord in front of her. You never attempt to pass a slower rider at a jump. As a professional rider she should have anticipated that the bloke will make a stuff up of trying to roll a gap jump.

Sorry, but on this one I blame Mariska for her own crash, even though he fell on his own accord in front of her. You never attempt to pass a slower rider at a jump. As a professional rider she should have anticipated that the bloke will make a stuff up of trying to roll a gap jump.

It's a race. She has hers and he has his. We can't see that he was slower. We can see that he lost control and fell onto her. I would assume that since he's racing in A batch that he wouldn't be considered "a slower rider" in this case. Maybe a less technically competent one. 

And how is she supposed to gauge this? Stop and ask him if he wants to go for a breakfast chat?

It's a race. She has hers and he has his. We can't see that he was slower. We can see that he lost control and fell onto her. I would assume that since he's racing in A batch that he wouldn't be considered "a slower rider" in this case. Maybe a less technically competent one. 

And how is she supposed to gauge this? Stop and ask him if he wants to go for a breakfast chat?

Experience, which she has in spades.

Experience, which she has in spades.

right experience and a bit of telepathy to read his mind too? Its pretty clear that she starts to take avoiding action when she does realise that Mr Panda is having a moment. There just isn't space to do anything about it.

I'm amazed that he managed to roll the gap jump. Probably takes more skills than clearing it! They really need to build this feature into Zwift :ph34r:

While it’s not cool for the guy to just ride off... neither are her comments on instagram

That’s a risk u take passing someone under those circumstances

While it’s not cool for the guy to just ride off... neither are her comments on instagram

That’s a risk u take passing someone under those circumstances

Have to agree there