Next Bike : Trail vs XC

RacePace

Hi Guys

I'm seeking your opinions here since I'm now g@tvol of watching countless reviews and reading forums on bikes and I am too scared of buying a bike that doesn't suit my riding perfectly.

I bought myself a 2018 Scott Spark 950 at the beginning of the year and I ride it HARD! I love it, but I've outgrown it. The reason I went for a XC bike is because I ride (and enjoy) alot of XC events and stage races in the Western Cape, but I really enjoy some gnarly trails. I spend most of my time riding the Durbanville & Stellenbosch trails (Majik, Bloemendal, Contermans, G-spot, Jonkershoek) and the Spark handles it well, but it takes quite a beating and doesn't feel too stable in the gnarly stuff. 

I'm now starting to look at longer travel bikes (120mm-140mm) that are built for a bit of both. I've been looking at the Pyga Stage Max, Evil The Following, Santa Cruz Hightower and the Scott Genius 930 (even though its more of a trail bike).

My biggest focus point is getting a bike that you can spend all day in the saddle in (and a efficient climber) but also an awesome trail shredder. In simpler terms, I'm looking for a bike that will tackle a 70km, 1800m climb, race day and also be very fun and capable on the trails. Also taking best value for money into account.

My mate bought himself a Scott Genius 750 in April. I've taken it for a few short rides and it shreds coming down but the climbing does become sluggish after a while, not too bad but you can definitely feel it and I can only imagine that it will take a toll on you in a long race.

I'm open to any opinions and recommendations. :)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am biased... but Evil the Following MB all the way! Build it up 120mm front and rear with some fastish rolling tyres and you have yourself a VERY capable trail bike (more than the travel suggests), and one that can do all day riding if built right.

I am saying 120mm for the fork based on the fact that you also wanna do longer days. Mine is built up 130mm in the front and I love it.

Another bike you should consider is the New Spedialized Stumpy Short Travel. My previous bike was the ol Stumpy - and despite it being a Spaz it was simply brilliant - and the new one looks even better. The build kits are just shockingly bad for the money you pay (even more so than previous years).

But... the Following is amazing - just saying...

As for the other bikes on your list...

Santa - you will never go wrong with SC

Scott - doesn't float my boat, nothing about the bike excites me when you compare it to the others.

Stage Max - not really comparable to the other bikes, the Pyga Hyrax would be a better comparison and looks pretty cool as well.

Edited by I_my_own_bike

I am biased... but Evil the Following MB all the way! Build it up 120mm front and rear with some fastish rolling tyres and you have yourself a VERY capable trail bike (more than the travel suggests), and one that can do all day riding if built right.

I am saying 120mm for the fork based on the fact that you also wanna do longer days. Mine is built up 130mm in the front and I love it.

Another bike you should consider is the New Spedialized Stumpy Short Travel. My previous bike was the ol Stumpy - and despite it being a Spaz it was simply brilliant - and the new one looks even better. The build kits are just shockingly bad for the money you pay (even more so than previous years).

But... the Following is amazing - just saying...

As for the other bikes on your list...

Santa - you will never go wrong with SC

Scott - doesn't float my boat, nothing about the bike excites me when you compare it to the others.

Stage Max - not really comparable to the other bikes, the Pyga Hyrax would be a better comparison and looks pretty cool as well.

Awesome, thanks.

Also want to add the Trek Fuel EX8 and EX 9.7 to my list as they seem to be good value for money.

I'll definitely look into the stumpy, but they are pricey :eek:

Coming back to the Pyga Stage Max, I do seem to only find good reviews about it on the interwebz. I guess the only real test would be to grab a demo nearby.

Awesome, thanks.

Also want to add the Trek Fuel EX8 and EX 9.7 to my list as they seem to be good value for money.

I'll definitely look into the stumpy, but they are pricey :eek:

Coming back to the Pyga Stage Max, I do seem to only find good reviews about it on the interwebz. I guess the only real test would be to grab a demo nearby.

Yeah, the new Stumpy is very expensive! They are giving you their 11m carbon layup (found in the previous S Works models) compared to a 9m layup with alu rear triangle in the old model - so that's awesome - but the price you pay for the nice frame is a crappy build.

Trek are great value for money, and I have only heard good things about it.

Don't get too hung up on too many bikes. Narrow it down to 2 or 3 bikes and go from there. There are so many good bikes available now that if you get caught up in analysing every single one you will never make a decision. Pick 5 or 6 that will do the job - rule out the ones that are too expensive or don't get your heart racing. Of the ones that are left pick 2 or 3 that make you excited when you think about them and get on them for a test ride. Decsion should be easy once you have ridden them...

Edited by I_my_own_bike

People have done the Epic on the Pyga Stage Max with no problems. Ask yourself what's going to bring the biggest smile to your face? Flying up a climb or enjoying the descent? Unless you're a podium hunter I'd reckon the latter. Sounds to me like you need minimum 130 up front which is achievable on the Max, in fact it can be pushed to 140mm. Why not have a word with a store to arrange a demo? East City Cycles in Cape Town are agents - great guys

If you are interested in spez contact a dealer they often have specials not advertised and do come up with some good deals you might be surprised I sure was.

Your requirements are the same as mine. I want to be able to spend a day in the saddle, comfortably, and still be able to send it on a gnarly trail. I got the Spez Camber, which does the job perfectly. I too spent copious amounts of time comparing etc. before finally pulling the proverbial trigger. I am not sorry I did it on the Camber. 

Although Spez have stopped making the Camber now, you could still get a good deal, and perhaps even negotiate a better price on existing stock.

Mine is the alu frame Camber Comp, but the spec is up there, although not the best, but I ride it hard, and it keeps up with me. Truth be told, I can't quite keep up with it, as I am not skilled enough to take that bike to the limit of its performance envelope.

[edit] I forget to mention, I also ride the Tygerberg trails (all of them) on that bike, and places like Jonkers, Rheebokskloof etc. Bike handles impeccably every time.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

I agree with Cadence, choose what aspects of riding makes you happiest and choose the best bike for that. You can enjoy XCM on a trail bike, but you may be faster on the downhills and a bit slower overall. Ideal body position differs for different types of riding, an XC bike is designed to position you best for XC.

I have a trail bike and a XC bike and

I feel a big drop in how much power I can generate on the trail bike. For example - climbs I can scale in a 36x42 on the XC bike I use a 34x50 for on the trail bike. I find it harder work to ride the enduro bike fast on a marathon. This is great for fitness, not so if you are chasing podium/seeding/whatever.

Consider getting a bike that allows 2 set-ups, like a longer stem & setback post for XC and a short stem & dropper for trail.

Even better stilk would be one that has a "switch" on the frame that allows different frame angles for the 2 set-ups, like the Rocky Mountain Ride9 designs.

Edited by Christie

I just love my Scott Genius 950(Ugraded) 1x11 XT drive train, SLX Brakes, with a 125mm Dropper, 70mm stem(I can not say my skill matches the bike though.)

I was in the same boat a few years ago. I went from a 29er xc bike to a 27.5 trail bike and love it. Having way more fun than I did on the XC bike.

I ended up with a santacruz 5010, climbs very well and rips on the technical stuff. Also very capable at long marathon stages, perfect allrounder

I ride the same trails as you and I'm using an IBIS Ripley LS , for "XC" riding I use it with the 2.6NN on, for enduro season (aka winter in my world) I put a Maxxis DHF 2.5 on the front and an aggressor on the back.

The bike climbs really, really, really well! The descends are the most fun you can have. I really think it's a great balanced bike, it has quite a few good reviews. Some people knock it as not being long and slack as the name suggests but it's a perfect balance for a everyday, do everything bike.

I'm also biased, but the Intense Primer does all of what you asked. Otherwise just get the new 120mm Spez Stumpy (the new Camber), it's an awesome package.