South Africa - The Land of Inequality

Imploder

Salaries are linked to the risk involved and the experience as well as the position. Companies are much bigger as compared to 20 years ago in most instances.

Making decisions about Billions of Rand versus a general labour person with very little skills required can never be the same and should never be the same in terms of salaries.

Don't come here with with your reasoned response! This does not fit the narrative of the commies and leftist libtards!

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Posted this on hot off the press... But replicating here... The latest time covere7ce414492e1855f8ae952b2f30f82f5.jpg

Scary thing.. Living in the top 15% or whatever and we were still living on the edge without a massive rent or bond. How people earning less survive I have no idea

I had a similar conversation with one of my warehouse supervisors at a Christmas party a few years back. I said that the “workers” look so happy at the party, yet all the managers are sitting “dik bek” at the tables. It eventually lead to him saying... the people earning low wages don’t know what’s it like to live like “we” do.

At our Company without fail our hourly paid workers had a bigger % yearly increase as compared to the salaried staff (monthly paid) over the last 15 years. Last 2 years the hourly paids still got inflation plus increases but salaried got zero.

So the stats are clearly not applicable to everybody.

As long as the focus is to pull those who have down to the level to those who dont have this country is doomed to stay worlds apart.

Salaries are linked to the risk involved and the experience as well as the position. Companies are much bigger as compared to 20 years ago in most instances.

Making decisions about Billions of Rand versus a general labour person with very little skills required can never be the same and should never be the same in terms of salaries.

Sometimes it is also about priorities. I travel to office past a a very poor area. Just about every house has a dish. How do they afford it to have DSTV?

Pay linked to risk??

Hahahahaha

If pay was linked to risk then we'd see some factory/menial labour workers among the highest earners in the country. You are equating reputational risk to risk of life and limb.

That viewpoint is the oldest con, nevermind that when the top guys cock it up or cook the books they typically get a little slap on the wrist whereas the bottom guys lose it all or land up in jail.

Sportsmans warehouse want 200 zar for a tube of 8 effervescent electrolyte tablets and 35 for a hammer gel.

How many kilos of mmaize meal is that?

Posted this on hot off the press... But replicating here... The latest time covere7ce414492e1855f8ae952b2f30f82f5.jpg

Massive inequality exists in all countries. But you don’t often get to see rich and poor loving side by side like that.

Massive inequality exists in all countries. But you don’t often get to see rich and poor loving side by side like that.

That’s pic is also like quoting a statistic, it is out of context and does not tell the full story.

IMHO it just sensationalist journalism.

Side by side, missionary, cowgirl......

That’s pic is also like quoting a statistic, it is out of context and does not tell the full story.

IMHO it just sensationalist journalism.

My domestic has 2 houses. One dinky house in the township here in Strand, and one house that is larger than my home, on a bigger plot with cows in the outskirts of Umtata. She even showed me the picks of her other home.

It is so easy to create the impression you want with a picture.

The people on the left are paying the taxes that the others on the right are getting for free .That is super unequal !

Let us not forget that South Africa is both a deeply rural country (Trankei/KZN) and a ultra modern and industrialised country (JHB and CT), so if you take the traditional measurement of wealth (which scores traditional rural environments very poorly, and scores "cyber economies" highly) you will see a great discrepancy between the two different economies.   The reason the rest of Africa does not have such a high GINI coefficient is simply because they do not have high levels of industrialization (and a long history of capitalised economies).  If you want to, in Africa at least, live in a less equal country, live in the DRC or Rwanda, but remember the average salary will be much lower for most occupations.

Remembers professionals normally are paid similar salaries world wide, and South Africa with the most active and modern economy in Africa will draw these people to CT and Joburg, thus accounting for much of the "top" salaries which make South Africa disproportionally wealth (in the African context) and disproportionally unequal.

We should not really be worried about the GINI co-efficient but rather where the mean and the mode are and how compact the distribution is once the "outliers" are removed from the equation.  

Alternatively the best way to make South Africa "equal" is to simply close down the mining industry, ISCOR, the heavy industry, cut the electricity often and make it incredibly difficult to set up venture investments .  Wait isn't that government policy at the moment

Edited by Paddaman

On this issue, I had a few thoughts and comments today.

We have a KFC 800m from our house, my better half who has something growing inside her had a craving for some KFC. No problem for me, it is close.

I arrive and had to walk past 6 guys/homeless asking me for food/money, that is within the 15 meters to the door, next to the door somebody parked a guy in a wheelchair begging. I turned around and went to another KFC 4km away. I phoned them and complained. 
Am i wrong in feeling uncomfortable? 

Am I "truly blesses" that I have a few rand to spend on my wife's cravings but will only buy the beer that is on special? 

On this issue, I had a few thoughts and comments today.

We have a KFC 800m from our house, my better half who has something growing inside her had a craving for some KFC. No problem for me, it is close.

I arrive and had to walk past 6 guys/homeless asking me for food/money, that is within the 15 meters to the door, next to the door somebody parked a guy in a wheelchair begging. I turned around and went to another KFC 4km away. I phoned them and complained. 

Am i wrong in feeling uncomfortable? 

Am I "truly blesses" that I have a few rand to spend on my wife's cravings but will only buy the beer that is on special? 

If the owner of the KFC cannot make the area around his premises acceptable to his customers, then he can go without their business. If you feel uncomfortable there, then you are not the type of client he is looking for. Go elsewhere! Where you feel welcome! And don't feel bad about it!

I do not stop in Beaufort West for fuel or anything, simply because every time I made the mistake to stop there, I was accosted by aggressive beggars, snotty nosed kids, skelms eyeing my car or a few prostitutes looking for business. Sadly, for Beaufort West, I rather contribute to Three Sisters' economy. 

If the owner of the KFC cannot make the area around his premises acceptable to his customers, then he can go without their business. If you feel uncomfortable there, then you are not the type of client he is looking for. Go elsewhere! Where you feel welcome! And don't feel bad about it!

I do not stop in Beaufort West for fuel or anything, simply because every time I made the mistake to stop there, I was accosted by aggressive beggars, snotty nosed kids, skelms eyeing my car or a few prostitutes looking for business. Sadly, for Beaufort West, I rather contribute to Three Sisters' economy. 

I do exactly the same now after a bad experience there when I was forced to stop in that town which is now a mere shadow of its former self. My fuel tank range was not gonna make it to Three Sisters. Now I make sure that I fill up enough at Laingsburg to make it to Three Sisters.