Broken chain after 800km

JK7

Hi there

Broke my chain on my Momsen AL529 after riding for 800km on it. My question- is what could be the cause with such low distance having been done? Broke while on a mild single track.

What to know :

I clean it after 9/10 rides

Started using Squirt chain lube at about 600km

I fixed it by using a master chain link. I now have two on the same chain - Is that a problem?

So what should I check? Or should I send it bike for a service?

Thanks ????????

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there

Broke my chain on my Momsen AL529 after riding for 800km on it. (Question A) My question- is what could be the cause with such low distance having been done? Broke while on a mild single track.

What to know :

(Statement 1) I clean it after 9/10 rides

(Statement 2) Started using Squirt chain lube at about 600km

(Statement 3) I fixed it by using a master chain link. I now have two on the same chain - (Question B) Is that a problem?

So what should I check? Or should I send it bike for a service?

Thanks

Question A

User error:

• Not cleaning chain often enough - refer to your statement marked as (Statement A)
  • Not lubing chain - You only started at 600km? - Refer to your statement marked as (Statement B) - Assuming this is MTB (because everybody is afraid of doing road on road bikes
  • Possibly cross chaining?
  • Possibly changing gears under power?

Question B

No, if you refrain from user errors as mentioned under question A

Statement 1

No good enough

Statement 2

The inference is you did not lube the chain before that, as you have lots of detail about your actions, but nothing about your lubing strategy for first 600km. Your lube strategy is not good enough

Statement 3

Not a real issue, but given all the above, you borked that chain

Ha. Rather comprehensive answer. Thanks.

Meant switched to dry lube from a more oil based lube at 600km. Never ride with a dry chain.

You might be onto something with changing gears with power. Trying to reduce that where I can.

Thanks for the feedback, glad two links won't cause an issue.

I have same bike, 2700 odd km now, never cleaned my chain, just squirt lube every 2-3 rides..

Would think cross geared it at some point or someone fitted wrong pins at service..

I also run masterlink from day one.. no issue.

Edited by Karman de Lange

Question A

User error:

• Not cleaning chain often enough - refer to your statement marked as (Statement A)
  • Not lubing chain - You only started at 600km? - Refer to your statement marked as (Statement B) - Assuming this is MTB (because everybody is afraid of doing road on road bikes
  • Possibly cross chaining?
  • Possibly changing gears under power?

Question B

No, if you refrain from user errors as mentioned under question A

Statement 1

No good enough

Statement 2

The inference is you did not lube the chain before that, as you have lots of detail about your actions, but nothing about your lubing strategy for first 600km. Your lube strategy is not good enough

Statement 3

Not a real issue, but given all the above, you borked that chain

Seriously !!!

or should that be Seriously ???

To OP it could just be a manufacturing fault or one of many other causes.

It is highly unlikely a chain will break because it is dirty or even not oiled. Yes it will squeal like a pig and wear super fast. I prefer not to use masterlinks but proper pins but you could make a whole chain of masterlinks - won't be as strong and not very smooth.

Reducing power when changing gears is good but won't break a chain if you did not.

(Oil is still the best lubricant - flame suite on)

Aaarg Really !! - The chain broke - fix it - deal with it - ride on - use as many super links as you like - use any old engine oil to lube it - Just don't waste any more time and effort on therapy sessions.

Seriously !!!

or should that be Seriously ???

To OP it could just be a manufacturing fault or one of many other causes.

It is highly unlikely a chain will break because it is dirty or even not oiled. Yes it will squeal like a pig and wear super fast. I prefer not to use masterlinks but proper pins but you could make a whole chain of masterlinks - won't be as strong and not very smooth.

Reducing power when changing gears is good but won't break a chain if you did not.

(Oil is still the best lubricant - flame suite on)

Thanks, appreciate the info. Sounds like I didn't do too much wrong but these things happen.

Chain Snap usually happens a few rides after a chain drop.

The chain drop causes one or more of the links to bend slightly.

The slightly bent link will still work for a while but will eventually let go. (side plate failure)

If you did have a chain drop on that chain inspect the whole chain and if there are any slightly bent links then replace the chain.

Oil and Smoove are both very good lubricants but if used properly the Smoove will generally extend the life of the chain, cassette and chainrings. Chains running on Smoove pick up less sand on the ride. If you use Smoove you never need to degrease the chain. Cleaning with an oily rag and then applying more Smoove is adequate. (Check the Smoove Website for full instructions.)

http://www.smoovelube.com/

If you are a big guy, you can break a lot of chains. If there is a pin not riveted in properly this can break, either manufacturer fault or not installed properly when new. I have seen a bike shop remove a chain and rivet it back with the normal pin they removed. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

Also never soak a chain in degreaser for any long period. This will wreck it. If you do, brief soak, then wash it off.