Need help with tubeless setup

JScottP

Long story short, went for a ride on Saturday and received a lovely large blister in my rear tyre, but fortunately have a spare suagaro tyre in the garage.

So remove old tyre, clean rim with soapy water and install new sealant and tyre. Start pumping and wheel won’t stay inflated at all. Turns out the air is leaking out hard from the small air vent in the side of the rim and have no idea why.

Rim is an Easton XC70, please help!!!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tape up the rim bed with gorilla tape

Air vent on the inside of the rim? Huh?

Doesn't sound like your rimtape was put in properly. 

I use the R25 rolls of silver rimtape you get at some shops. 1 layer. Sometimes, one layer of insulation tape before it, but usually just one layer of cheapy rimtape.

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/sportsmans-warehouse-tubeless-rim-tape

looks like (google) rim is tubeless so no need for rimtape, but I could be wrong

looks like (google) rim is tubeless so no need for rimtape, but I could be wrong

Agree, does look like no tape needed. So by airvent he could only mean the valve hole. Maybe the valve isn't snugging up tight enough on the inside of the rim. Could remedy that by cranking the locknut a bit more, but sometimes that might not work. Depending on the actual tubeless valve, if the rubber bit was round, I'd drill the rim out ever so slightly so that the valve can "pull into" the rim a tiny bit. Locking it down with the lockring would then be pretty airtight. If the value had a square rubber bit... hmmmm...

tubeless-valves-cyclocross-openings-IMG_

Agree, does look like no tape needed. So by airvent he could only mean the valve hole. Maybe the valve isn't snugging up tight enough on the inside of the rim. Could remedy that by cranking the locknut a bit more, but sometimes that might not work. Depending on the actual tubeless valve, if the rubber bit was round, I'd drill the rim out ever so slightly so that the valve can "pull into" the rim a tiny bit. Locking it down with the lockring would then be pretty airtight. If the value had a square rubber bit... hmmmm...

tubeless-valves-cyclocross-openings-IMG_

Hit the nail on the head!

Turns out when I added a new valve as well it wasn’t quite sitting flush in the rim bed allowing air to get through the valve hole and under the welded rim bed and escaping out the vent.

When I say vent, there is a tiny hole on the outside of either side of the rim that is apparently drilled when they weld the rim allowing the hot air to escape from the welding.

air vent?

pic would be nice

More like a water drainage hole.?

Usually fixed by re-taping.

Existing tape likely leaking.

Edited by Thomo

When I say vent, there is a tiny hole on the outside of either side of the rim that is apparently drilled when they weld the rim allowing the hot air to escape from the welding.

Well that's just stupid then... How can they make a "tubeless" rim... and then leave it with a hole in. Eish.

Yes, many rims have a small hole in the external wall of the rim. I can only assume this is to compensate for air pressure changes or to drain any water from the rim that may find it's way in there.....

A proper taping inside the rim is normally all that's needed for good tubeless performance, as long as tubeless-ready rims and tyres are used.

Edited by nick_the_wheelbuilder

Am I reading this right, tubeless rims don't need tape?

How do you stop the air getting out the spoke holes?

Or am i the confused one. the only thing a tubeless wheel helps you with is not required the black conversion strips.

s-l300.jpg

Am I reading this right, tubeless rims don't need tape?

How do you stop the air getting out the spoke holes?

Or am i the confused one. the only thing a tubeless wheel helps you with is not required the black conversion strips.

s-l300.jpg

If its got spoke holes it obviously is not tubeless

If its got spoke holes it obviously is not tubeless

Not true. Rim tape seals spoke holes. A tubeless rim has a specific edge on the inside rim to hold the tubeless tyre securely.

Not true. Rim tape seals spoke holes. A tubeless rim has a specific edge on the inside rim to hold the tubeless tyre securely.

Kransie is right. The rim bead is only a secondary consideration. A proper tubeless rim has a continuous sealed spoke bed that does not require taping to close off the spoke holes