Why PYGA Industries... why?

Hello Ruan

So this isn't really a rant about bad service or anything like that. I don't know but I just can't help but feel disappointed by a brand I like and support. This isn't me attacking them or saying what they are doing is wrong in no way this is just sharing my feelings and thoughts.

I think PYGA got a really good following in terms of people being on their bikes because of the Pascoe 140, OneTen29 and the 120, I mean there are a lot of these for sale and has been too throughout this year. Which also means good exposure for the brand. With this exposure comes a certain voice or image for the brand.

I use to own a Pascoe 140 myself but when PYGA released the new range the Hyrax and Slackline I was excited and thought to myself "Hell yeah, can't wait to get one"... but honestly I don't think I ever will. Not because it is a bad bike or anything like that but because I feel like PYGA kind of went from having this amazing range of alu bikes which was for the weekend warrior everyday guy all way up to the crazy shredders, now I feel like it isn't the same anymore. I feel like PYGA moved me who owned a PYGA back then to the side and just focused on being elite or something, I guess they want to be up there with the brand like YETI or something. This isn't a bad thing these bikes are really good but just can't help but feel forgotten about, it just isn't the same feeling anymore like it was with the Pascoe, 29 and 120, I feel like some of the people who supported the brand back then kind of wasn't thought about and they are now only focusing on one certain group, if that makes sense?

The brand must still be doing well if they only make carbon high-end bikes but I don't know how to really explain it, when I put my Pascoe next to a Hyrax it just isn't the same and that is what PYGA is to me.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not saying this is what they have done or anything like that. Just as a previous owner of a PYGA sharing my thoughts.

Short version: I am too poor for a new PYGA and this makes me sad.

Edited by Hello Ruan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Must say I was also sad to see the demise of the Pyga alu range, I m on a 110 and it is a really great bike.

I suspect that PYGA found that the pricing of the alu bikes was gettIng out of hand and basically knocking on the pricing door of competitors entry level Tupperware bikes and decided to tackle that market instead. Easier to compete carbon vs carbon as opposed to carbon vs alu ?

Just guessing though

And yes I would love a Hyrax if it came out in a 29!

Edited by MphatiPyga

I hear you. I also dont see why you pay the same, if not more for a Pyga than a Santa Cruz these days. When in all honesty its made in a Chinese factory. The Stage and Stage Max are a great bike. But at Santa Cruz money?

Hello Ruan, lets prepare to get flamed though!!

mmm, You have a point to an extent, but they obviously went the streamline route from a production point of view?

And that is their prerogative

Maybe once they get bigger down the line they will bring out an entry level option?

On the alloy bikes though, my mate averaged 90 days a frame on the OneTen29 as they kept cracking in exactly the same place and went through 5 frames. Same happened to another mate. Both were eventually upgraded to the Stages as Pyga seemed to have an issue with the OneTen29.

Edited by forgotten1

Yes - there were issues, which I believe were eventually resolved. I don't believe the move to carbon was as a result of that?

Out of interest - do Rocky Mountain, Santa Cruz and other "less mainstream" brands have alu offerings? 

Yes - there were issues, which I believe were eventually resolved. I don't believe the move to carbon was as a result of that?

Out of interest - do Rocky Mountain, Santa Cruz and other "less mainstream" brands have alu offerings? 

Yes. 

But, and here's the thing. Carbon is far easier to make into the shapes that you want your bike to be, and the cost of alu hydroforming is not cheap. It may be that due to PYGA's smaller expected sales figures that they elected to go carbon due to the ease of getting their shape right, and a lot of people have the opinion that carbon is in some way "superior" to aly in terms of frame material, thereby opening up a better sales stream than if they'd concentrated first on aluminium. 

It would be great to see an aly hyrax / slakline / stage, but (and I could be wrong here) the chance of seeing an aly stage is lower than seeing an aly hyrax / slakline, due to the shapes on the stage's frame. 

Edited by Cptmayhem

I must agree, I wish they made alu versions too.

Things might change in terms of manufacturing at Pyga soon. Keep your ears open......

On the alloy bikes though, my mate averaged 90 days a frame on the OneTen29 as they kept cracking in exactly the same place and went through 5 frames. Same happened to another mate. Both were eventually upgraded to the Stages as Pyga seemed to have an issue with the OneTen29.

:-(

Does not sound good

I agree. personally I've been through a number of full sus carbon frames over the years and inevitably the main pivots loosen up in the carbon matrix about 4 or 5 years in. I was delighted to find the 120/650 a few years back - a bomb-proof and supremely capable alu bike. I do get that there's a large class of wannabe racers who will choose lightness over performance, and who will likely never discover the type of riding I enjoy, but for most guys - probably in the 80-120kg weight group, and looking for a 10-year+ allround bike I've always thought it was unbeatable.

I've been thinking of buying an extra frame while there are some still around :)

I hear you. I also dont see why you pay the same, if not more for a Pyga than a Santa Cruz these days. When in all honesty its made in a Chinese factory. The Stage and Stage Max are a great bike. But at Santa Cruz money?

Hello Ruan, lets prepare to get flamed though!!

Just out of interest. Why do you think it’s okay for Santa cruz to charge more for their Chinese made plastic?

Out of interest - do Rocky Mountain, Santa Cruz and other "less mainstream" brands have alu offerings

For what it is worth .... The Scott Spark series certainly does well enough in competitions, not sure if you consider them "less mainstream" though .... be that as it may.

The Spark 900 series starts at the top with the "900" carbon, and continues in carbon, with lesser components, to the 930.  From the 940 onwards you have top end components on an alu frame.

Just no way a decent carbon bike is in my budget now.  But I am HAPPY with my 940 !!!  Just did some more personal bests this morning on the trails with the 940.

So yes, there are some pretty good alu bikes in the market place, for that group of riders wanting top spec, but at alu price ....

Stefmeister...not saying Santa Cruz charge more. What I am saying is if I had to choose between a Pyga and a Santa Cruz at the same price, I would go with the Santa. The Pyga's aint cheap bud. Just saying.

Take a GX spec carbon Spez/Trek/Scott/Giant and compare it to a GX spec Pyga. Noticeable difference. Not saying its not worth it...but a 2 year warranty in the Pyga vs the lifetime warranty on the Trek/Giant platform at a lesser price, it makes you wonder.

Ultimately, the bike that makes you smile is the best spent cash. If you like a brand and are loyal to it, then nothing wrong.

Nothing will sway me from my preferred choice. And I love the ride on the Pyga for the record.

I guess the original poster just feels that the brand he loves have wandered away from their original market. I feel the same with Porsche...a Cayenne will never be a Porsche to me. A 911 will always be.

But Pyga and Porsche have gone the route of what makes sense business wise to them. And there is nothing wrong with that...but to some of us idealists who liked the original 'David vs Goliath' approach against the mainstream we will always feel that way.