Why PYGA Industries... why?

Hello Ruan

Stefmeister...not saying Santa Cruz charge more. What I am saying is if I had to choose between a Pyga and a Santa Cruz at the same price, I would go with the Santa. The Pyga's aint cheap bud. Just saying.

I get what you’re saying, and share the same sentiments and would also argue they’re technically more expensive as there’s no local distributor-like markups involved.

But it seems like it’s always SC that pops up when we’re talking about expensive bikes and everyone seem to give them the hall pass.

When it’s time to bash expensive bikes, Spez is the first to get the brunt. Just trying to understand that love affair.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's very true hey. Eye watering prices, Cannondale as well! I guess people expect Pyga to be cheaper because they're local. Only their offices are local and what about them competing abroad? If the brand can demand the price tag and sells, then so be it.

By the way, I believe the warranty is now 5?years.

It is nice having a local brand though, that responds to queries promptly etc.

To the Op i hear what you saying but there are a few issues to consider.

Firstly PYGA cannot compete with the Treks/Santa Cruz/ Spez etc as they dont command nearly the same leveraging clout with manufactring and with worldwide distribution.  That is why they " seem expensive" .  Pyga cost per bike is probably 5 x higher than the big brands.

Secondly they are a boutique brand just like Ibis, Yeti etc and as such would rather compete with fewer high end models than offer a huge line up as the above brands.  This makes complete sense as their target market is the experienced biker who knows what he wants and doesnt need a fancy brochure to sell him a bike at a megastore.

Thirdly unfortunatley the rand is doing them no favours as their entire business model is imported so whatever advantage they had with local pricing is now a disadvantage .

Considering Pyga is only 5 years old they have achieved a lot by just surviving in this incredibly tough market where old established brands like Titus and a few others have gone under.  So well done to them.  They are now consolidating and will probably only come out with a solid top end model every other year.  This makes sense for the above reasons.  So good luck to them .  

For the record I dont have a Pyga as i prefer the offerings from the other brands but i have always considered them when i was shopping for a new bike.  Yes the 110 broke at the chainstays at the weld point  quite often so im sure that hasnt helped but the newer models seem much better in that dept as the 110 was their first bike .  That could be another reason for the move to carbon only .  ( i am just speculating here).

Anyhoo i would rather they evolve as a top end niche brand and make their mark in the world as a sophisticated niche product then try compete head on with the goliaths as they will get killed.

Stefmeister...in no way ever would I give Santa Cruz a hallpass. Dont think that. I was merely using it as a benchmark. They seem to be the defacto uber mountain bike...and to pay nearly the same if not more for a brand like Pyga is where I was aiming my argument.

After a few years of riding different frames I have to say I am more of a fan of alu than carbon. Look, I love the stiffness and direct feeling of carbon and I'm 100% with it as the weapon of choice for all road bikes where you're looking to turn as much energy into power as possible. On the dirt there are so many variables it's more about flow, flex and movement than pure power. Obviously for the XC guys the same as road applies but after riding a lot of the 'best and latest' bikes I can say it's all about what suits you. I've had a couple of the frames that have been worshiped in the reviews but I couldn't get on with. At all. I like company who will still make a bomb proof alu frame first and go from there. That is what I like about orange, bird or cotic. They make and fashion frames in house so they make, change, test and adapt almost on the fly. Test new ideas and go from sketching to making in no time. 

I love the PYGA story and have never seen a bad bike or ridden one that isn't really interesting. My only issue with them currently is that they have started to seem a bit aloof to the local market and (the biggest one) is they have gone direct model but haven't increased the value / reduced price to the consumer (which was the idea that the likes of YT brought) like Commencal / Canyon / Propain / Bird / YT / Kingdom etc. You can look at each one of those companies and be amazed at what you get for the price. Spec a Propain Hugene with Cura 4's, Fox 36, full carbon frame, up graded wheels and rear shock and you're left scratching your head as to the sub R60K price tag when comparing to SA's offering. 

Edited by hellocolour

There are tons of valid points in this discussion, great input from everyone thanks.

Comparing prices isn't really even what gets to me. For me, personally I can only imagine that most of the 1st & 2nd gen alu PYGA riders like myself and other riders on the bikes mentioned won't be getting a new PYGA. Me for one, I prefer alu and it fits the pocket, so for all of us who helped build the brand to what it is now on alu bikes too it is kind of like thanks but please take this expensive carbon bike now, we are cutting off you guys from the brand who I think was probably the majority judging from ads and seeing what is around. I mean surely like mentioned alu costs a lot too and the shape of the bike and so on but at least just an alu Hyrax to show some form of like "Hey guys, you poor bastards we got you too."

Damn... Imagine they make a alu Hyrax and call it Bastard they would make billions :clap:

And for record, if I had to choose between a Santa Cruz (Whatever model and spec equal) or a PYGA Hyrax I would probably go Hyrax. There is just something about riding a local brand.

And for record, if I had to choose between a Santa Cruz (Whatever model and spec equal) or a PYGA Hyrax I would probably go Hyrax. There is just something about riding a local brand.

I don't know. I can't buy into it if I feel I'm getting touched up just for 'local is lekker'. At the end of the day it's about the bike and the price. Local or international it stops being a in my top 5 reason if it's all on a level.  

Edited by hellocolour

I'll star with a disclaimer- I have and love my pyga, so much so that I saw this as an opportunity to post yet another picture of it but I managed to contain myself. Apart from the great bike, I love the fact that I can get in touch with them, hell I even whatsapp them and tried to convince them to build a gravel bike. Point is voice your options directly to them, they seem like guys who would listen in my experience.

They are by the way looking at manufacturing a local carbon bike very soon. Maybe they could tell us why they aren't doing an Alu bike anymore.

I'll star with a disclaimer- I have and love my pyga, so much so that I saw this as an opportunity to post yet another picture of it but I managed to contain myself. Apart from the great bike, I love the fact that I can get in touch with them, hell I even whatsapp them and tried to convince them to build a gravel bike. Point is voice your options directly to them, they seem like guys who would listen in my experience.

They are by the way looking at manufacturing a local carbon bike very soon. Maybe they could tell us why they aren't doing an Alu bike anymore.

Like Hope did... can't see the making it any more affordable locally. I guess it's the cycle of company as it's grows. expends and explores new and available options. 

As an aside, saw PatM at an event locally, there was guy there with an Orange Stage 5 (never seen those before) and he was blown away by it. Was really interesting to watch him as he was super excited by all the workmanship and couldn't get enough of it. 

I thought this was a secret. Edited by Knersboy

Guys, I am pretty sure I read an article released by PYGA Ind on WHY they went full carbon.

There was an apology to all the Alu fan boys, there was a mention of an intention to bring them back in IF the carbon series created a new, sustainable, global market bla bla

I think the production time, production quality and human error on alu bikes factor WAS part of the issue but not a massive one.

Anyway, pretty sure there is a press release and a blurb straight from PYGA about this... Just saying

Guys, I am pretty sure I read an article released by PYGA Ind on WHY they went full carbon.

There was an apology to all the Alu fan boys, there was a mention of an intention to bring them back in IF the carbon series created a new, sustainable, global market bla bla

I think the production time, production quality and human error on alu bikes factor WAS part of the issue but not a massive one.

Anyway, pretty sure there is a press release and a blurb straight from PYGA about this... Just saying

It's not on the website, we all missed the press release but luckily we have you so now I will google it/search the hub. If I have no luck I will get you to point me in the right direction (ps I don't like alu, it's steel or carbon for me thanks) Edited by Waynemol

Stefmeister...not saying Santa Cruz charge more. What I am saying is if I had to choose between a Pyga and a Santa Cruz at the same price, I would go with the Santa. The Pyga's aint cheap bud. Just saying.

... and there Santa Crus has a life time warranty...

So everyone know I'm one of the very first customers of a couple off their models,

OneTwenty #1 ordered and delivered

Stage #1 ordered, first medium delivered as they first made the large available (large was Pat's design/prototype size)

The guy that ordered Stage Max #1 was standing next to me and it was agreement he get the Max and me the Stage, this was at the launch of the stage 3 yrs back in Cpt... at their Cpt office opening.

Love my bike... ye bike, as I am in the process of moving and for the move and everything decided to let the 120 go... to a Pyga family, the dad and son had one already and they bought my 120 for the daughter so a good home:)

Because of logistics, (I'm going to be commuting bi weekly) already decided I will get myself another bike, one to be with family and one here in Jhb so that I don't destroy bike on a flight every weekend/2nd weekend.

and well, this new bike will be a Pyga ;) (next year)

So ye, see how they changed, but I still love them, the bike and the brand.

And ye being able to give Pat/Mark/Hilton a call or WA does not hurt either.

G