Giro d'Italia 2019

ScottCM

Don't tune in late for the TT tomorrow, the team leaders are going out first due to possible thunderstorm coming in later.

"Team leaders usually start last in time trials to see how their teammates and rivals perform and to please race organisers and television broadcasters who want a crescendo to the race.

However, the weather in Bologna is expected to worsen during Saturday afternoon and evening, with the worst conditions forecast for around 8pm CET when the last rider is due to reach the finish near the hilltop Santuario di San Luca."

"The official start list shows that Tom Dumoulin(Team Sunweb) will be the first rider to start the 8km time trial at 4:50pm CET. Miguel Angel López (Astana) starts a few minutes after at 4:54pm, with Bob Jungels (Deceuninck-QuickStep) off at 4:56pm, Vincenzo Nibali (Bahrain-Merida) at 4:58 and Primoz Roglic (Jumbo-Visma) at 5:01pm. Tao Geoghegan Hart is the first rider to start for Team Ineos at 5:11pm, with co-leader Pavel Sivakov off at 5:33pm."

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

weird unimportant question from my side, looking at the startlist.

Froomedawg is not defending his title but going for TdF.

Mikel landa now wears the #1 number.

He didn't compete last year, but Carapaz who came 4th is wearing the #3 this year.

Movistar came 6th in the teams comp(Sky won that too).

AG2R didn't have anyone in the top10, and came 5th in the teams, yet Tony Gallopin gets #11

Francesco Gavazzi won a stage in the 2011 Vuelta, and was 53rd in the 2018 Giro, wears #21

Sky won eveything in 2018 yet Sivakov is #161

Dumoulin came 2nd in 2018, and won it in 2017, yet pins #191 

A Roglic/Yates/TomD podium would be 171/131/191

Is the numbering system a metaphor for how disorganised this whole shebang really is?!

Francesco Gavazzi won a stage in the 2011 Vuelta, and was 53rd in the 2018 Giro, waers #21

He didn't compete last year, but Carapaz who came 4th is wearing the #3 this year.

AG2R didn't have anyone in the top10, and came 5th in the teams, yet Tony Gallopin gets #11

Francesco Gavazzi won a stage in the 2011 Vuelta, and was 53rd in the 2018 Giro, wears #21

Is the numbering system a metaphor for how disorganised this whole shebang really is?!

Francesco Gavazzi won a stage in the 2011 Vuelta, and was 53rd in the 2018 Giro, waers #21

You have a lot of spare time on your hands.

The 1 in a team typically signifies the GC leader, regardless of the XX before it which makes sense for the 3 you mentioned above and they clearly having Sivakov at Ineos.

The stand alone 1 signifies the previous winner CF isn't there so Sky don't automatically get the number for their GC rider. 

As interest, due to WW passing away and having the 108 as his race number and race numbers nearly never ever end in 0, the number 100 has been allocated to try miss or avoid using the number 108 out of respect. 

The Giro or any GT is far from disorganized. 

Don't tune in late for the TT tomorrow, the team leaders are going out first due to possible thunderstorm coming in later.

"Team leaders usually start last in time trials to see how their teammates and rivals perform and to please race organisers and television broadcasters who want a crescendo to the race.

However, the weather in Bologna is expected to worsen during Saturday afternoon and evening, with the worst conditions forecast for around 8pm CET when the last rider is due to reach the finish near the hilltop Santuario di San Luca."

"The official start list shows that Tom Dumoulin(Team Sunweb) will be the first rider to start the 8km time trial at 4:50pm CET. Miguel Angel López (Astana) starts a few minutes after at 4:54pm, with Bob Jungels (Deceuninck-QuickStep) off at 4:56pm, Vincenzo Nibali (Bahrain-Merida) at 4:58 and Primoz Roglic (Jumbo-Visma) at 5:01pm. Tao Geoghegan Hart is the first rider to start for Team Ineos at 5:11pm, with co-leader Pavel Sivakov off at 5:33pm."

Except for Simon Yates who clearly does not believe the weatherman and will start 3rd from last at 19h43. 

Or maybe he prefers to ride in the rain... he is English after all so he should be used to it   :D

Except for Simon Yates who clearly does not believe the weatherman and will start 3rd from last at 19h43.

Or maybe he prefers to ride in the rain... he is English after all so he should be used to it :D

I saw that. If it does come down then he could be shedding time against the favorites.

I saw that. If it does come down then he could be shedding time against the favorites.

I really don't get this decision..why take the risk? Seems a bit arrogant to me?? In a short effort like that there is very little pacing strategy involved and knowing what you're rivals did can't be a real advantage..its basically balls to the walls for +- 12/13 minutes.At the very least he could have gone for 2nd or 3rd rider in the team.

His last race as national champ, unless he wins again.

Loves his home GT and loves his national jersey... shame they couldn't add that legendary Italian elegance to it. 

Unlike the 2017 Giro winner, Tom Dumoulin, who after the drawing of lots for team leaders has opted to start the time trial early to avoid predicted evening thunderstorms, Yates starts the opening stage third from last, at 7.45pm local time. “The weather is just a prediction,” he said. “Nobody really knows. Now I will also know the exact times of my rivals so I can also work around that and plan a strategy.”

Thunder storms threaten the challenge of GC contenders who start later in the day. ⚠️

Only one decoder and that's set to auto tune with Set Reminder, remotes hidden, front doors and windows closed to give appearance no ones home.