Which vehicle fits 29er MTB inside?

duanelr

OP, do you only care about vehicles that fit a 29er, presumably a large, as long as you can keep the back wheel on?

yebo, 29er medium with both wheels on. Trying to get a feel for rear load space without taking my bike to every test drive :P 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

VW transporter long wheel base.... fits 4 bike without a problem ...

http://www.tch.co.za/bike1.jpg

http://www.tch.co.za/bike2.jpg

wow i like this! perfect for load in and go. no wheels off, not too much strapping, and dirt and mud stays in the back. good contender this thanks

edit: like the bike rack as welll

Edited by duanelr

Hi there. Which vehicles out there can you load an entire 29er a mountain bike into the back? Will take the front wheel off if necessary.

I know the old Nissan x trail can swollow an entire bike with the seats folded flat - same for an ild prado. What else are you guys driving? Looking for a new vehicle though.

Reasons for putting the bike inside the vehicle: safety against theft , protection against stone chips / elements as well as keeping the bike clean when travelling on dirt roads.

Thanks in advdance.

Lol..pretty much EVERY vehicle. My fiesta ST no problemo either. So basically that would mean things like a Ford Ka size or Smart Car are excluded.

SIDE NOTE - for those taking note of bike thefts from racks ... but not ready to buy a "wagon" .... R150/month insurance on a R45k bike .....

Pretty sure some may even mention lower insurance premiums ....

While the Caddy is above my budget I will be going this route ...

Lol..pretty much EVERY vehicle. My fiesta ST no problemo either. So basically that would mean things like a Ford Ka size or Smart Car are excluded.

argument invalid...i fit the wifes 29er into a 2door toyota aygo just fine LOL. ok you have to take the wheels off (off the bike :ph34r: ) but it fits none the less.

argument invalid...i fit the wifes 29er into a 2door toyota aygo just fine LOL. ok you have to take the wheels off (off the bike :ph34r: ) but it fits none the less.

I'm pretty sure you could fit most motorbikes into an average hatchback if you take the wheels off :devil:  

I'm pretty sure you could fit most motorbikes into an average hatchback if you take the wheels off :devil:  

no jokes...that thing surprises me everytime when i try to get something in there. 

" have you ever parked a bicycle in an airplane hanger"... :D - BIG lady - Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo

Edited by morneS555

I have been following this topic as I retire in two years time and have been thinking about which vehicle to get so we can tour the country but also taking our bikes -packed inside and upright.

The other consideration I had was that it needed to be big enough to sleep in if necessary.

My current favourite is the Ford Transit Trend SWB.

The VW Caddy Maxi and the Ford Connect LWB are also possibles.

I don't like the look of the  Hyundi H-1.

I have been following this topic as I retire in two years time and have been thinking about which vehicle to get so we can tour the country but also taking our bikes -packed inside and upright.

The other consideration I had was that it needed to be big enough to sleep in if necessary.

I hired a new transit to move some house stuff last week and was mighty impressed. Drove really, really well, was massive inside, good fuel use and some really good features I wasn't expecting. Compared to the last VW and Renault I drove it knocked it out of the park. 

SIDE NOTE - for those taking note of bike thefts from racks ... but not ready to buy a "wagon" .... R150/month insurance on a R45k bike .....

Pretty sure some may even mention lower insurance premiums ....

While the Caddy is above my budget I will be going this route ...

I would love to find an insurer at those rates. Even with house, car, motorbikes on a policy my bicycle insurance is ridiculously high!!!!

There is actually another VW Caddy, which is another 500mm longer than the "Caddy Maxi".

VW Malmesbury actually has a demo at the moment, up for sale.

This may well be a nice sized vehicle to rig out as a mini touring wagon ....

VW Caddy Maxi.

With the forks compressed, I can load my MX bike in it no problem, loading bicycles is not even a challenge.

I have the 2l TDI and if you drive it at around 120 - 130 kmh you will get over 1000km on 55l.

I also don't bother with a tent anymore when I have to camp... I take a mattress and sleep in the back of the van.

I have owned it since new and other than regular services the only thing I have replaced is the clutch at 135000km I have now done 220000km!

Apparently the 1.9 TDI wasn't very reliable.

Good luck!

I would love to find an insurer at those rates. Even with house, car, motorbikes on a policy my bicycle insurance is ridiculously high!!!!

Via my broker, insured at Santam.  Full comprehensive insurance.

post-110956-0-88532200-1541861066_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisF