Which vehicle fits 29er MTB inside?

duanelr

Have got a bike in the back of a Fiat 500, just put the seats down.  Pretty much any var you can put the back seats down you can get a bike in!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

VW transporter long wheel base, fitted 4 people with 3 mtb's ( complete without taking any wheels off or lowering seats or turning handle bars) and all our luggage, used 12l/100km's and the drive is awesome!

Finally, someone asks a question I have the answer to. I test cars and I ride bikes a lot. You can pretty much get a bike in any car if you're willing to take the front wheel off. I have taken my bike in the boot of a Toyota 86 with the rear seats folded and the front seat as far forward as it will go. I ride a large frame 29er BTW.

In my opinion, don't buy something too nice as bikes stuff up upholstery and leave tyre marks everywhere. Rubberise the floor, you can normally buy rubber mats anyway.

My top 3 cars to load bikes in, no front wheel off needed:

Subaru Forester

Land Rover Discovery

Cheaper option - Nissan X-Trail

If you do a fair few races, the added ground clearance is helpful as you inevitably end up driving down a dirt road and parking in a field, hence SUVs are kinds the way to go.

Finally, someone asks a question I have the answer to. I test cars and I ride bikes a lot. You can pretty much get a bike in any car if you're willing to take the front wheel off. I have taken my bike in the boot of a Toyota 86 with the rear seats folded and the front seat as far forward as it will go. I ride a large frame 29er BTW.

In my opinion, don't buy something too nice as bikes stuff up upholstery and leave tyre marks everywhere. Rubberise the floor, you can normally buy rubber mats anyway.

Subaru Forester

Land Rover Discovery

If you do a fair few races, the added ground clearance is helpful as you inevitably end up driving down a dirt road and parking in a field, hence SUVs are kinds the way to go.

indeed, what ever vehicle you choose, get a vehicle specific rubber boot mat with it, or better yet, if they offer the option, a canvas boot protector. Covers more of the sides of the boot and back of the seats than the boot mat.

I can load a XXL mtb wheels and all in my lexus rx .That is why i have kept my 16 old model and bought a new one

Subaru Forester

Land Rover Discovery

Saw this yesterday at the JAVA MTB event outside Robertson.

The parking at the venue was FULL .... vehicles were parked along the road for about 2km !!  And yet another line of vehicles along the vineyards - requiring the vehicle to have a slightly raised suspension ...

This certainly is a topic I have been pondering for some time ....

The possible solutions are DRASTICALLY reduced when you need to use THREE seats though ...

May just get the Maxi Caddie at some point .... will certainly be a point of consideration when it is time for the next set of wheels ....

Edited by ChrisF

Subaru Forester

Land Rover Discovery

Agree 100% on the Forester. I've owned 14 VW/Audi products and finally decided to try something else. Forester is a wonderful vehicle; has a surprising amount of space in the back (my Large 29er goes in easily wthout toucing seats/sides/back window) and goes ANYwhere off-road that so-called true 4x4s can. 

I scheme you need at least a Vito or H1

When I was at Hyundai we had a H1 multicab traded in with bike mounts in the back. That was pretty cool.

I got my 29er full suss enduro bike into a mini clubman 1275 with the backseat down, only the front wheel off......

Prado, 2 (s and L) 29"ers with front wheels out. Is our preferred way to travel, no need to worry about bikes when stopping or parked

The small frame also goes in without taking out front wheel on its own

whatever you do, do not over inflate tubliss tyres inside the back of your X1, took a whole weekend to get it clean again. also cost me a new 29er rim...

But X1 fits bike wheels on with seats down.