Munga musings from a novice - The Race - Part 4 of the Trilogy

Carlog

Thanks a mill for the bum cream recipe. Just to make sure I understand it correctly: Do you squeeze both the Bactroban and Bennetts tubes into the Fissan tub and mix it all into a paste that you then carry with you and apply as and when necessary?

Enjoyed putting my thoughts in permanent memory.  For the bum cream - yup that's it.  I didn't put it directly on the chamois as its quite thick and gets in there anyway.   As you're probably read in other posts everyone gets chafe of some sort so it looks like it comes down to how much is bearable.    

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a great read and very humorous, thanks for sharing your build-up :thumbup:

Just a few questions:

Regarding the Leatherman, do you really feel it's necessary? What on the bike has a chance of breaking that will require the use of a Leatherman above that little mutli-tool you have packed?

Is a dropper post really necessary on the Munga? I'd imagine it as a piece of equipment that could fail especially since it's carrying the added weight of the rear pack. A standard post would be lighter as well.

With the added weight of the rear pack, have you packed in a spare seatpost collar and bolt?

Cheers and all the best, looking forward to following your dot :thumbup:

Edited by Buff_SA

Such a great read and very humorous, thanks for sharing your build-up :thumbup:

Just a few questions:

Regarding the Leatherman, do you really feel it's necessary? What on the bike has a chance of breaking that will require the use of a Leatherman above that little mutli-tool you have packed?

Is a dropper post really necessary on the Munga? I'd imagine it as a piece of equipment that could fail especially since it's carrying the added weight of the rear pack. A standard post would be lighter as well.

With the added weight of the rear pack, have you packed in a spare seatpost collar and bolt?

Cheers and all the best, looking forward to following your dot :thumbup:

Leatherman: broke my chain a month ago. Fixed it only to discover that I’d missed one jockey wheel when rethreading. Could break the chain with fingers again. Had to wait for a pair of pliers. Also that leatherman has a screwdriver, which means that with my multi tool plus two Allan keys the only things I can’t tighten are my pedals. That one weighs 149g and I have a smaller one which is about 116, but is much smaller by volume.

Dropper post. Agree with you. I don’t plan on using it on the munga. I may change to a simple post but am need to be satisfied that nothing changed in my setup. Hadn’t thought about the weight though! :)

Yup. Extra bolt plus collar. Also extra bolt for derailleur, one of the four for the brake assembly. One of the four for the stem two cleat screws and one of the four for the tri bars clamps.

I greatly enjoyed reading your musings Carlog. Great good luck with the Munga. You simply HAVE to survive for the sake of all us softies who are looking forward to a really good race report!

I always see the comments around all the bolts and bits that I should take with. I am not questioning that, as I do believe it is necessary and taking it with.

My question would be as this is my first Munga as well. The reason why bolts etc. seems to come loose on the Munga? During the last 6000km I've haven't had any issues on bolts or such. Don't get me wrong, it can happen at any time. It just seems to happen a lot on the Munga. Is it because of the road conditions or participants adjusting too much stuff before the event.

See you all at the start. Blessings

Great posts man, absolutely loving the read so far! A humorous paragraph of way-too-in-depth technical jabbering is my jam.

W.r.t. bolts, the engineering part of my brain says the right Loctite will sort you out and keep any bolt from rattling loose. The practical part of my brain says its a good idea to keep at least 1x of each of the major ones in the event that you moer off of the bike, something breaks and you need to fasten it again.

Looking forward to the post-race report. 

Last year I witnessed parts falling of bikes within the first 100k.

I think if you going to have your bike given a major service ,do it now. Then do some rides after the service .As an extra precaution Loctite all bolts where possible. To carry a couple of extra bits weighs nothing. Just remember you might save another rider out there.

I always see the comments around all the bolts and bits that I should take with. I am not questioning that, as I do believe it is necessary and taking it with.

My question would be as this is my first Munga as well. The reason why bolts etc. seems to come loose on the Munga? During the last 6000km I've haven't had any issues on bolts or such. Don't get me wrong, it can happen at any time. It just seems to happen a lot on the Munga. Is it because of the road conditions or participants adjusting too much stuff before the event.

See you all at the start. Blessings

I think bolts can sense when its a race and that's when they come undone.  its'a mettalurgical thing.   6th senses aside - my tribars come loose all the time.  I've just thought of it a very low opportunity cost with (in some cases) a very high potential penalty if they do.  in my 5600km I havent had any of those bolts come loose, but hen again i have tightened everytning a few times.  I asked Alex this and he said everything comes loose in the Munga.  Hence my loctite eardrops.  Good luck with your race - see you at the start. 

Great posts man, absolutely loving the read so far! A humorous paragraph of way-too-in-depth technical jabbering is my jam.

W.r.t. bolts, the engineering part of my brain says the right Loctite will sort you out and keep any bolt from rattling loose. The practical part of my brain says its a good idea to keep at least 1x of each of the major ones in the event that you moer off of the bike, something breaks and you need to fasten it again.

Looking forward to the post-race report. 

At least we now know the two people that like the techinical stuff.  Re. the bolts - the moering off is what i'm mitigating against.  

I think if you going to have your bike given a major service ,do it now. Then do some rides after the service .As an extra precaution Loctite all bolts where possible. To carry a couple of extra bits weighs nothing. Just remember you might save another rider out there.

And you may have to be saved.  Alone, a good enough reason.  

Enjoyed putting my thoughts in permanent memory.  For the bum cream - yup that's it.  I didn't put it directly on the chamois as its quite thick and gets in there anyway.   As you're probably read in other posts everyone gets chafe of some sort so it looks like it comes down to how much is bearable.    

Jup, I heard last week of two riders completing the last 300km standing. Not so keen on trying it myself....  :-)

Thanks again for all the info. Next step for me is to figure out what you suggested regarding the settings on the Garmin. Makes sense to keep things simple.  :thumbup:   

Couldnt agree more.

I would never risk having my bike serviced the day before Munga.

I had mine serviced 3 weeks prior to the race. Was able to make sure that all was 100% on race day.

Thanks - has been a fun journey so far.  On the air resistance stuff - jeez - i've seen so much data, some of it at n3 and some at n2.  My conclusion was that the n2 data referred only to drag and not the frontal force.  At one point I think my eyes were bleeding.  

The best summary I found was here and also from Michael Hutchinsons book "Faster" - (which is great audio book BTW - helluva funny)   

attachicon.gifWikiPwrDrag.JPG.  

My education continues. 

my hazy memories of 1st year physics vs your recent research on the exact topic?

I'd go for the second option!