Rook Cycles Cape Town

Sampaj

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a State fixie, the Undefeated, full fixie with 16/48 gears. Started with the bull bars it came with but eventually swapped to a 3T Ergonova carbon bars and got some basic drop bar brake handles from Woodstock Cycle Works.....only the front are real at the moment... 

Started with flats but went to SPD later, helps with uphill hauling!!!!

Riding a fixie is a whole other experience, you really need to concentrate on your cadence and stopping/following distance. It's hard on your knees, especially downhill. I stayed with the 16/48 as I find for me its a good climbing ratio and can do most standard climbs around Cape Town...Constantia Nek is a big challenge..Sukerbossie is easy!

I did the Argus on mine this year, it was the best weather to do it and a whole lot of fun....

As an N+1, i definitely recommend it, its a real challenge to ride and keep up with everyone else.... 

post-35907-0-13778400-1586015312_thumb.jpg

post-35907-0-40774000-1586015350_thumb.jpg

post-35907-0-75122100-1586015433_thumb.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IHvlLGKNB0&feature=youtu.be

I have a State fixie, the Undefeated, full fixie with 16/48 gears. Started with the bull bars it came with but eventually swapped to a 3T Ergonova carbon bars and got some basic drop bar brake handles from Woodstock Cycle Works.....only the front are real at the moment... 

Riding a fixie is a whole other experience, you really need to concentrate on your cadence and stopping/following distance. It's hard on your knees, especially downhill. I stayed with the 16/48 as I find for me its a good climbing ratio and can do most standard climbs around Cape Town...Constantia Nek is a big challenge..Sukerbossie is easy!

I did the Argus on mine this year, it was the best weather to do it and a whole lot of fun....

As an N+1, i definitely recommend it, its a real challenge to ride and keep up with everyone else.... 

attachicon.gif2014 State Undefeated 16.jpg

attachicon.gif2017 State Undefeated.jpg

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2020-03-08 at 21.56.09.png

Was running my GT Meatball as a Dixie (53x17t) for a bit, but given my route in the CBD with irrational movement of pedestrians and cars I ended up having too many close calls running fixed. So went back to 53x16t single speed.

The fixie keeps you honest, there is no slacking off! What it does do though it get up speed and keep momentum like nothing else out there, it is certainly something every cyclist has to experience at least once in their life!

The other fun fixie fact is when you get onto it after riding single speed and forget you can not simply coast .... so you are peddling, you ease off and you get bucked by the fixed drive train ... or you out the saddle sprinting and don’t get your timing right when getting back in the saddle ... you only do that a few times before you learn your lesson!

I started off with the flats, was looking for a bit more of a relaxed position so have since changed to risers and they give me the perfect position, also I can shift centre of gravity forward easier to lock up the rear easier using the risers for some reason. With drops and flats I was going too far forward. Not using the bars from rook as I ride a wider bar setup.

Cool, thanks for the info.

I got a rook one chromo last year as a commuter... best choice I have made ... it took a while to get used to the fixed gear but I'm having alot of fun with it ... I'm not going to be doing any Cape Town cycle tours on it but as a commuter and a mess around bike it's legit

:thumbup:  I’m also looking at the chromo.

If you are looking for a fixed gear Rook is the best bang for your buck, especially with their current lockdown special. I would should suggest flat bars and pedal straps initially if you are looking to do skids. Otherwise they are solid bikes that are easily upgradable and your skill level progresses.

:thumbup:

attachicon.gif2014 State Undefeated 16.jpg

attachicon.gif2017 State Undefeated.jpg

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2020-03-08 at 21.56.09.png

Thanks for info! Cool video :thumbup: .

Was running my GT Meatball as a Dixie (53x17t) for a bit, but given my route in the CBD with irrational movement of pedestrians and cars I ended up having too many close calls running fixed. So went back to 53x16t single speed.

The fixie keeps you honest, there is no slacking off! What it does do though it get up speed and keep momentum like nothing else out there, it is certainly something every cyclist has to experience at least once in their life!

The other fun fixie fact is when you get onto it after riding single speed and forget you can not simply coast .... so you are peddling, you ease off and you get bucked by the fixed drive train ... or you out the saddle sprinting and don’t get your timing right when getting back in the saddle ... you only do that a few times before you learn your lesson!

I’m clearly in for a couple of painful lessons :D .

Good people, good product, good backup. Also a small independent business battling to keep the lights on in the current dogshow we find ourselves in.

And everything's on a 21% off special.

You know what to do...

Good point.

Rook Cycles and their bikes are highly recommended.

I don't own a Rook, but have bought wheels as well as other bits and pieces for a custom build.. They will also build to your specifications, so you can mix and match and come up with something unique if you want to. Their stock bikes are pretty stylish though. My most important recommendation would be to get a flip flop rear hub, just in case fixed gear isn't for you, and it is not for everyone. Then you can turn it around and have a single speed. Also, about flat / riser / drop / bull horn bars: Aesthetically I like drop bars and bull horns better because the bike looks sleeker. Flat bars and a short stem makes it look a little too much like a flat nosed pug when viewed from the side. But that is of course in the eye of the beholder!  

Awesome, thanks for advice. I’m partial to the drop bars myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know the tyre clearance on the Rook Scout?

not 100% certain, but when I looked at it the clearance was very very very generous!

650 x 47c as standard, which should be good for 700 x 38c at least. I'll see if I can get a solid answer from Luke though.