Anyone lost TOO MUCH weight? Time to build it back up a bit.

Bonus

But our bodies are much cleverer than we are. If you are not a Type 1 diabetic , the liver will make any glucose required - 25 grams a day is enough, from fat or protein.

The Brain works just great on Ketones (as many will attest it works much better on Ketones)

The Inuit lived for centuries in the artic where no plant based foods were available to provide carbohydrates.

Today many thousands of us are living on diets which have less than 50grams of Carbohydrate a day. As an endurance athlete being fat adapted is the best thing since sliced bread

There’s a great deal of debate in the scientific community around whether or not we actually need ANY carbs in our diet.

My 2c - I don’t think anyone really has the answers. We still have so much to learn about nutrition, and it’s difficult to know who to trust (especially when there are so many vested interests and egos).

I’ve found that I’m faster and stronger (at 44 years old) than I’ve ever been on a bike on a low carb diet (and on all distances, from 25 km to 200 km). At 1.75m, I have lost about 13 kg since July (from 88 kg to 75 kg) I have more speed, more endurance, and (importantly) recover very quickly after long rides. No bread, no pasta, no potatoes, no legumes, no grains, no vegetable oils (apart from plenty of avocado oil and some olive oil) no sugar (stevia works just fine) and absolutely nothing processed. It took a while to get there (about 2 months of being slow and heavy), but now it works. Was diagnosed as pre-diabetic at the end of June, now my blood sugar levels are perfect.

And if my body (and it’s critical functions) doesn’t have enough glycogen, my liver makes a plan and manufactures what it needs from fat and protein. Carbohydrates are the one dietary component that my body can, in fact, survive without. And actually thrive without.

Again, just my view based on what works for me. Everyone’s different.

Edited by Grogs

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people seem to be talking about macros here, and not so much about calories. When it comes to overall weight change, its all about the calories in vs out. When it comes to where that weight comes from, then thats more about the macros and weightlifting. Thats obviously summing it up as short as absolutely possible and theres so much more to it.

To gain weight in the form of lean muscle mass, the short answer is to be in a caloric surplus not too far over maintenance level, and to consume a lot of protein. Natural bodybuilders aim to take in 1g of protein per pound of body weight, and to then fill up the remaining calories from fat and carbs, with the split between those being up to the individual and what their goals are. But definitely do get your carbs in, without it your loss of appetite will make it tough to maintain a surplus.

From here, resistance training is obvious, thats whats going to cause the muscles to grow. Youtube and the rest of the internet is your friend, and i would highly recommend 2 YouTube channels - AthleanX, and Jeff Nippard. They are *highly* informative, and zero bs. Congrats on the weight loss and good luck

Haven't been, but yes, going to.

Thats good news, beginners with no weightlifting experience see the fastest results if they do things properly. Also known as 'newbie gains' in the gym bro community.

One more thing, to find your caloric maintenance level, you can use online calculators to give you a rough idea, but everyone is different, and trial and error through tracking calories and weight over time is the only way to determine your own accurately.

Most people seem to be talking about macros here, and not so much about calories. When it comes to overall weight change, its all about the calories in vs out.

Weight is controlled by hormones. Insulin is a hormone that stores fat and prevents fat being burnt. Reducing carbohydrate intake reduces the insulin produced by the body and allows you to burn fat for energy. Reducing carb intake also reduces hunger.

@Grogs - you are basically eating Paleo right?

It worked wonders for me for a couple of years. Then came kids and life. Need to get back in it.

For those interested, check out Nerd Fitness for an excellent intro on the Paleo diet.

Fat adapted athletes are setting world records in endurance events, like . 100mile running and even the Tour de France.

In diverse sports such as Figure Skating and cricket the extra endurance, brain clarity and concentration achieved during training is producing winning performances . ( Cricket =Australian team)

In sprint races like 100m swimming the athletes are training fat adapted and may take some carbs just before competition.

And then you have Scott Jurek, a strict vegan, in a class of his own!

Scott Jurek is a living legend. Named one of the greatest runners of all time, He has claimed victories in nearly all of ultra-running's elite trail and road events.

I believe its how we combine the food we eat, and moderation is always key!

Fat adapted athletes are setting world records in endurance events, like . 100mile running and even the Tour de France.

In diverse sports such as Figure Skating and cricket the extra endurance, brain clarity and concentration achieved during training is producing winning performances . ( Cricket =Australian team)

In sprint races like 100m swimming the athletes are training fat adapted and may take some carbs just before competition.

Who want,s to live on fat  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko: !

@Grogs - you are basically eating Paleo right?

Don’t like to label it, there are so many versions of the “paleo” diet - but yes, I suppose it is a paleo-type diet, with some keto ideas thrown in (again, so many versions of the “keto” diet).

Just eating clean, non-processed foods and, for all intents and purposes, no carbs (but LOTS of veggies that are less than 5% carb content - that way, I need to eat 500g of veggies to consume 25g of carbs).

NO refined sugar whatsoever. Ever.

My only carb “vice”: some beers on weekends (and not every weekend, but the occasional LOT of beer. Even Brett Kavanaugh likes beer, and he’s a Supreme Court justice).

Edited by Grogs

Most people seem to be talking about macros here, and not so much about calories. When it comes to overall weight change, its all about the calories in vs out.

Cannot agree with you here - 100 calories from a jam doughnut is simply not the same as 100 calories from a stick of fatty biltong, which isn’t the same as 100 calories from a lean piece of chicken nor 100 calories from a serving of steamed kale. Each type of food provokes a different metabolic response in your body, and therefore a different effect on weight gain or loss.

Counting calories is a complete waste of time IMHO.

You may want to read up on what hypoglycaemia is.

Hint, if your blood sugar drops below a certain point you die.

This is because your brain REQUIRES glucose or lactate as it's primary fuel source.

How did the inuit people survive for so long on only meat and fat?

Edit: see someone else touched on that topic.

Edited by stefmeister

Whaaaaaaat? https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/this-is-what-you-have-to-eat-to-compete-in-the-tour-de-france-182775

High intensity needs carbs.

Medium/Low intensity sure for houra and hours and hours sure - your body has time to break down fats and proteins but you can't go fast without the carbs.

Join the gorillas in the weight lifting pit at the local gym

And eat like a champion before and during those power up sessions. ????

Heavier slow reps ????????

Not the lean mean cyclist formula of light and many reps

Edited by 'Dale

Who want,s to live on fat  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko: !

Check out the delicious meals on www.dietdoctor.com . You can live on green Vegetables, meat, fish, avocado, nuts, cheese, butter, eggs and more. Start the day with bacon and eggs, just loose the cereals, toast and jam.